Work visa expiring and my workplace currently closed bc of COVID

Hi Everyone,

I'm from the US and been working at a hotel in Chiang Mai. My hotel just shut down and let everyone go including me. At the same time my work VISA is about to expire the end of this month. My HR told me Immigration would not allow me to renew because my workplace is shut down and no Thais are working so I don't quality for the 4:1 (Thai: Foreigner ratio). They want me to be on a "COVID Visa" and pay a fee of 1,900 bhat which only last for 30days. Has anyone experience this and what did you do? Do you just keep paying 1,900 bhat a month to keep staying? If anyone have more infor about this COVID Visa please share. Thank you

I assume you have a extension of stay based upon working not a valid visa.

You can apply for a 60 day covid 19 extension of stay at immigration if you do it before the 29th of this month.

You will first need to cancel your current extension of stay with a letter from your employer stating the last day you will be working to do the application to apply for the 60 day extension.

Correct. My extension to stay ends on 31, Jan 2021 and my work permit expires on 04, Feb 2021. Should I just keep doing the 60 day covid 19 extension until my workplace reopens and for many times will they allow me to do the 60 day covid 19 extension? Thanks for the help.

Also, I just went to immigration today and they told me they will probably give me 30days. Seems like they can give you 30days or 60days. What's going on?

What immigration office are you in contact with.

There is no 30 day extension at this time. The order for them states 60 days.

Maybe they said 30 days due to your current extension being valid. You need a letter from your employer to cancel it and they may also want proof your work permit has been canceled.

They have issued more than one extension already for some people. But the current order for them ends on the 29th but it will likely be extended again.

29 minutes ago, Johnny316 said:

@ubonjoe Do you by chance have an offical statement (link) from Immigration Head Office that states it supposed to be 60 days?

All I have is the order extending the issuance of the from November 30th to January 29.

There is only part of the original order that says this" to consider the permission on a temporary extension of stay for foreigners for a duration not exceeding 60 days".

You should go back to immigration with all the documents required to cancel your current extension and apply for it. If they still say 60 days mention to them that others have gotten 60 days.

Sometimes you will get the wrong info if you are asking somebody other than the officer that takes your application.

On 1/14/2021 at 9:36 PM, Johnny316 said:

Correct. My extension to stay ends on 31, Jan 2021 and my work permit expires on 04, Feb 2021. Should I just keep doing the 60 day covid 19 extension until my workplace reopens and for many times will they allow me to do the 60 day covid 19 extension? Thanks for the help.

Also, I just went to immigration today and they told me they will probably give me 30days. Seems like they can give you 30days or 60days. What's going on?

Have you seriously examined your finances to see if you can afford to stay in Thailand indefinitely, or whether you should return to the US before your money runs out?

Given the state of the economy and no tourists visiting Thailand, what makes you believe your hotel will reopen soon, and that they'll rehire you back?  

Archived