Pollution hits unhealthy levels in 11 areas of Bangkok, its vicinity

webfact

Pollution hits unhealthy levels in 11 areas of Bangkok, its vicinity

By The Nation

800_2759e59fa962271.jpg?v=1610687081
Photos by Korbphuk Phromrekha

Air pollution in 11 areas in Bangkok and its vicinity hit unsafe levels on Friday morning with PM2.5 readings coming in at 44 to 111 micrograms per cubic metre (μg/m3), the Pollution Control Department reported.

The department said it expects the PM2.5 level to rise until Saturday due to a drop in wind speed, adding that the situation should improve on Sunday.

Thailand’s standard for safe levels of PM2.5 (particles less than 2.5 micrometres in diameter) is 50μg/m3, whereas the World Health Organisation sets it at 25μg/m3.

243040.jpg

11 areas where the pollution has hit unsafe levels are:

Bangkok:

• Bang Khunthien 111μg/m3

• Phra Khanong 91μg/m3

• Bang Na 99μg/m3

• Sai Mai 92μg/m3

• Prawet 108μg/m3

• Nong Khaem district 92μg/m3

• Don Mueang 93μg/m3

• Chom Thong 93μg/m3

Samut Prakan

• Muang district 111μg/m3

• Bang Sao Thong 99μg/m3

Samut Sakhon

• Muang district 111μg/m3

243042.jpg

People in areas with high levels of PM2.5 have been advised to monitor their health and reduce time spent outdoors, especially the elderly, children and patients with respiratory ailments.

Pollution levels can be monitored via the Air4Thai.com website or its smartphone app, or via bangkokairquality.com.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30401288

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2021-01-15

Suddenly must be way more vehicles on the road and a massive increase in construction because the Government only blames those for the reason for the air pollution instead of focusing on the real culprits the farmers burning their fields and killing us all with the smoke!!!! 

Time to start watering the air again? waste of time and water

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately they are only getting started. ???? The criminals that control this racket should be prosecuted and held accountable for human rights abuses. Sadly millions of men, women and children are being exposed to toxic levels of 2.5 PM air pollution for months on end for the profits of the few. ????

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

I advise "Pollution control department" renames themselves into "Pollution monitoring department" as they are doing nothing to control pollution, not in short nor long term.

They were in the news recently, as reported here, saying the government was going to take air pollution seriously and supposedly do all kinds of things this year to lessen air pollution levels.  Blah blah blah...

So, is this this week the result?  Red/unhealthy warning air pollution levels all around, meaning AQIs of between 151 to 200 for PM2.5,  which is equal to a range of 55.5 to 150 micrograms on air pollution meters.

Tonight's AQI readings for BKK as of 9 pm:

Screenshot_1.jpg.e10eab210289cc09373e25972464f682.jpg

https://aqicn.org/city/thailand/bangkok/chulalongkorn-hospital/

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

17 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Not just Bangkok. Kanchanaburi's burning season, stubble and sugar cane, is in full swing. It really does seem to be getting worse each passing year and when wifey goes off on a rant about it I know things are bad.

Why don’t you move if it’s so bad?

why do you live there? 
just curious 

I'm starting to wonder if the farmers are not reading my posts.  stop the burning!!!!  stop spraying chemicals!!!

I told 3 people about this in CM, but yet the fires rage on....  for decades I have been telling people.  maybe I told 11 people.  and 18,329,234 posts which might not have helped.

it's ok.....my lungs are black, I cannot think, walk, or do anything.......i could have left.  lol

• 1 month later...

This is not a problem in Bangkok or Chiangmai. That's all of Thailand. I have been staying at Siratcha for the last 3 months AQI 150-200 (PM2.5 70-120) EVERY DAY. So far, there were maybe 5 days with AQI around 100. Before I stayed in Udonthani and it was almost the same with a few days AQI above 200.

IMG_20210228_071933.jpg

54 minutes ago, stapoz said:

This is not a problem in Bangkok or Chiangmai. That's all of Thailand. I have been staying at Siratcha for the last 3 months AQI 150-200 (PM2.5 70-120) EVERY DAY. So far, there were maybe 5 days with AQI around 100. Before I stayed in Udonthani and it was almost the same with a few days AQI above 200.

IMG_20210228_071933.jpg

Not just Thailand either!  Be grateful you don't live in China or India!

• 3 weeks later...

Not just Thailand either!  Be grateful you don't live in China or India!

Sometimes I wish I had chosen to live in the Philippines when there was a time...

151943542_Screenshot2021-03-16at20_49_17.png.bc55efa426ed8455f6952e0c9d2c27b4.png

Edited by stapoz

Today PM 2.5 - 170 - village 10 km near Kalasin. I think AQI here is about 250-300. There were no clouds, the sky was clear, but the sun gave no shadows. The light was scattered by the smog as if it were passing through frosted glass. I'm considering go bkk for some fresh air...

IMG_20210316_182743.jpeg

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, stapoz said:

Today PM 2.5 - 170 - village 10 km near Kalasin

Thanks for the info.

12 minutes ago, stapoz said:

considering go bkk for some fresh air...

might be 'from the rain in the eaves'.

Up north we suffered the bad air quite a while. So bad.

Situation in Thailand tonight:

image.png.1455d1fbc26ed65fea9409b22542de1c.png

• Like 1

Incredibly, Thais are completely uninterested in this issue. When I try to talk about the present huge pollution in their town, they just smile and look like they've just heard it for the first time in their life. They do not seem to be interested in what the problem is, and what the cause of the pollution is, and they are not interested in how to improve the situation. That's probably why they have what they have. Every day driving to the city, I see people smoking leaves, grass or plantation remnants in their fields. Most of the time, there is no fire, just huge smoke. They light a fire and leave it smoking for hours. They don't seem to understand that they are doing this for their families, children and parents.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1