Mazda CX 8 vs Honda CRV?

Hi,

I was already going for the Honda CRV and I decided to test drive the Mazda CX 8 just in case. I was very impressed about the driving experience so now I'm not so sure anymore which one to go for. I do also like how the CRV drives but the CX8 has some other benefits like the more stylish interior and exterior compared to the CRV. Then again the size of the CRV is more suitable for me as it's a lot shorter but still has about the same storage capacity. Also, I really like the Honda service center around my house so it's not an easy decision to change to Mazda. 

Does anyone have experiences of the CX 8? It seems to be very uncommon, since I hardy ever see one on the roads. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Get the Mazda, a much better driving experience. The Honda has CVT transmission which in my view is terrible. If the CX8 is too large get the CX-5.

I test drove both honda crv diesel model, cx-8 and cx-5 petrol and diesel versions. Ended up buying the cx-5 diesel as it have more torque. Is more quiet and have a more refined automatic gear. The cx

My daddy always told me: "When it comes to cars, don't ask somebody that has one, ask somebody that had one."

Posted Images

They are both good brands. Having said that, the Honda models are a bit dated compared to what Mazda offers.

Thanks for the answers! First of all the CX5 is out of question, since I think my Honda City is nearly as spacious inside. I'm actually used to CVT and that was of course one of the biggest differences I felt when driving the CX8. To me it accelerated better than the CRV – at least more responsive but then again the CVT provides that smoothness where you hardly notice any gear changes. 

For me the ride comfort was just about (seats one step better in the CRV) equal but it's just the CRV's more compact size and wide/thick look that I prefer. Just a bit worried I might regret the length of the CX8. Also, this will be just for 2 people and transporting stuff so the 7-seater doesn't really make sense. I would much rather have the CX8 as a 5-seater, nut they don't have that option.

I've heard a lot of bad reviews about Mazda's service in case you really do have a bigger problem. I'm not sure if this is something to worry about but just been so pleased with the Honda center near my house that it's another factor that would make me more at ease with Honda.

But as I said in my OP, I never see CX8 on the roads. Does someone here actually own one? There must be some reason it's not popular?   

3 hours ago, Gordon said:

I test drove both honda crv diesel model, cx-8 and cx-5 petrol and diesel versions. Ended up buying the cx-5 diesel as it have more torque. Is more quiet and have a more refined automatic gear. The cx-8 felt a bit under powered and also a bit long for parking in cramped parking spaces. The cx-5 diesel got a lot more power than the crv diesel and cx-5 petrol. Road handling for the cx-5 is also superior to the crv.......had my cx-5 diesel for 1 year now and very happy. Bought a 1 year old car with a discount of about 500k for the top model and 5 years mazda warranty.....

Same for me, very happy with the CX-5 diesel.  Next car will be the same one.  Was thinking about the CX-8, but like you say, it is heavier and doesn't have that quirky response like the -5.

The thing to bear in mind with Honda CRV is that in Thailand they are foisting the very old technology engines (especially the ancient petrols ) that have been discontinued in most developed markets for several years now. No sign of the impressive hybrid which I drove in UK 2.5 years ago. 
The only reason you’ve got the choice of the newer diesel is that it too was discontinued in Europe a few years ago as diesels became pariahs and they need somewhere to dump them. It’s also a rather small 1.6 twin turbo of modest power for a large SUV. That significant engine drawback would put me off an otherwise excellent brand and car. Cynicism of that nature by Honda should not be rewarded with custom.

We've had a CR-V for 3 years and love it.  We've driven it to CM two or three times and just took a long driving trip to southern Thailand--the seats are very comfortable for long trips.  My partner does the driving and he is always saying how strong the suv is.  We like to buy stuff for condo renovations and love how much storage there is--no matter what we buy we seem to be able to fit it in.  In 3 years we haven't had a single problem.  Acceleration is fine--even when we have loaded it up.  We are ready for a styling change and hope a hybrid model will be offered in Thailand.

Mazda every time  proper  Old style Auto box   ,  all  CVT auto  boxes  are complex and aweful reliability, also Mazda more reliable than Honda these days  and nicer to drive

• Like 2
14 hours ago, nchuckle said:

The thing to bear in mind with Honda CRV is that in Thailand they are foisting the very old technology engines (especially the ancient petrols ) that have been discontinued in most developed markets for several years now. No sign of the impressive hybrid which I drove in UK 2.5 years ago. 
The only reason you’ve got the choice of the newer diesel is that it too was discontinued in Europe a few years ago as diesels became pariahs and they need somewhere to dump them. It’s also a rather small 1.6 twin turbo of modest power for a large SUV. That significant engine drawback would put me off an otherwise excellent brand and car. Cynicism of that nature by Honda should not be rewarded with custom.

I guess you're right about that but is there really anything wrong with their traditional 2.4L petrol? Seems to be reliable and drives smooth. I test drove the 1.6 diesel 2 years ago and could not accept that annoying sound from the engine so that was never an option. 

I wish they had brought out the hybrid here in Thailand. I would go for that without question! 

13 hours ago, newnative said:

We've had a CR-V for 3 years and love it.  We've driven it to CM two or three times and just took a long driving trip to southern Thailand--the seats are very comfortable for long trips.  My partner does the driving and he is always saying how strong the suv is.  We like to buy stuff for condo renovations and love how much storage there is--no matter what we buy we seem to be able to fit it in.  In 3 years we haven't had a single problem.  Acceleration is fine--even when we have loaded it up.  We are ready for a styling change and hope a hybrid model will be offered in Thailand.

Thanks for that feedback. I think this is the general experience for anyone who bought a CRV. There's a reason it won awards in many countries. Everything is just well thought and works. I especially love the comfortable seats and the new panoramic roof is a nice gimmick too – evetho not so useful in Thailand. 

That being said, I did really like the CX8 too and it's a tough decision. I guess as a brand I just trust Honda more and the length of the CX8 might just be a bit too much for my use. There is of course some price difference too, which is minor at this point. Actually the Honda dealers gave a big promotion right away but the Mazda dealers offer 0% financing but with less reduction. The price difference should end up being around 200,000b.

• Like 1