Mazda CX 8 vs Honda CRV?

ChomDo

Hi,

I was already going for the Honda CRV and I decided to test drive the Mazda CX 8 just in case. I was very impressed about the driving experience so now I'm not so sure anymore which one to go for. I do also like how the CRV drives but the CX8 has some other benefits like the more stylish interior and exterior compared to the CRV. Then again the size of the CRV is more suitable for me as it's a lot shorter but still has about the same storage capacity. Also, I really like the Honda service center around my house so it's not an easy decision to change to Mazda. 

Does anyone have experiences of the CX 8? It seems to be very uncommon, since I hardy ever see one on the roads. 

Thanks for the answers! First of all the CX5 is out of question, since I think my Honda City is nearly as spacious inside. I'm actually used to CVT and that was of course one of the biggest differences I felt when driving the CX8. To me it accelerated better than the CRV – at least more responsive but then again the CVT provides that smoothness where you hardly notice any gear changes. 

For me the ride comfort was just about (seats one step better in the CRV) equal but it's just the CRV's more compact size and wide/thick look that I prefer. Just a bit worried I might regret the length of the CX8. Also, this will be just for 2 people and transporting stuff so the 7-seater doesn't really make sense. I would much rather have the CX8 as a 5-seater, nut they don't have that option.

I've heard a lot of bad reviews about Mazda's service in case you really do have a bigger problem. I'm not sure if this is something to worry about but just been so pleased with the Honda center near my house that it's another factor that would make me more at ease with Honda.

But as I said in my OP, I never see CX8 on the roads. Does someone here actually own one? There must be some reason it's not popular?   

3 hours ago, Gordon said:

I test drove both honda crv diesel model, cx-8 and cx-5 petrol and diesel versions. Ended up buying the cx-5 diesel as it have more torque. Is more quiet and have a more refined automatic gear. The cx-8 felt a bit under powered and also a bit long for parking in cramped parking spaces. The cx-5 diesel got a lot more power than the crv diesel and cx-5 petrol. Road handling for the cx-5 is also superior to the crv.......had my cx-5 diesel for 1 year now and very happy. Bought a 1 year old car with a discount of about 500k for the top model and 5 years mazda warranty.....

Same for me, very happy with the CX-5 diesel.  Next car will be the same one.  Was thinking about the CX-8, but like you say, it is heavier and doesn't have that quirky response like the -5.

The thing to bear in mind with Honda CRV is that in Thailand they are foisting the very old technology engines (especially the ancient petrols ) that have been discontinued in most developed markets for several years now. No sign of the impressive hybrid which I drove in UK 2.5 years ago. 
The only reason you’ve got the choice of the newer diesel is that it too was discontinued in Europe a few years ago as diesels became pariahs and they need somewhere to dump them. It’s also a rather small 1.6 twin turbo of modest power for a large SUV. That significant engine drawback would put me off an otherwise excellent brand and car. Cynicism of that nature by Honda should not be rewarded with custom.

We've had a CR-V for 3 years and love it.  We've driven it to CM two or three times and just took a long driving trip to southern Thailand--the seats are very comfortable for long trips.  My partner does the driving and he is always saying how strong the suv is.  We like to buy stuff for condo renovations and love how much storage there is--no matter what we buy we seem to be able to fit it in.  In 3 years we haven't had a single problem.  Acceleration is fine--even when we have loaded it up.  We are ready for a styling change and hope a hybrid model will be offered in Thailand.

14 hours ago, nchuckle said:

The thing to bear in mind with Honda CRV is that in Thailand they are foisting the very old technology engines (especially the ancient petrols ) that have been discontinued in most developed markets for several years now. No sign of the impressive hybrid which I drove in UK 2.5 years ago. 
The only reason you’ve got the choice of the newer diesel is that it too was discontinued in Europe a few years ago as diesels became pariahs and they need somewhere to dump them. It’s also a rather small 1.6 twin turbo of modest power for a large SUV. That significant engine drawback would put me off an otherwise excellent brand and car. Cynicism of that nature by Honda should not be rewarded with custom.

I guess you're right about that but is there really anything wrong with their traditional 2.4L petrol? Seems to be reliable and drives smooth. I test drove the 1.6 diesel 2 years ago and could not accept that annoying sound from the engine so that was never an option. 

I wish they had brought out the hybrid here in Thailand. I would go for that without question! 

13 hours ago, newnative said:

We've had a CR-V for 3 years and love it.  We've driven it to CM two or three times and just took a long driving trip to southern Thailand--the seats are very comfortable for long trips.  My partner does the driving and he is always saying how strong the suv is.  We like to buy stuff for condo renovations and love how much storage there is--no matter what we buy we seem to be able to fit it in.  In 3 years we haven't had a single problem.  Acceleration is fine--even when we have loaded it up.  We are ready for a styling change and hope a hybrid model will be offered in Thailand.

Thanks for that feedback. I think this is the general experience for anyone who bought a CRV. There's a reason it won awards in many countries. Everything is just well thought and works. I especially love the comfortable seats and the new panoramic roof is a nice gimmick too – evetho not so useful in Thailand. 

That being said, I did really like the CX8 too and it's a tough decision. I guess as a brand I just trust Honda more and the length of the CX8 might just be a bit too much for my use. There is of course some price difference too, which is minor at this point. Actually the Honda dealers gave a big promotion right away but the Mazda dealers offer 0% financing but with less reduction. The price difference should end up being around 200,000b.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, liddelljohn said:

Mazda every time  proper  Old style Auto box   ,  all  CVT auto  boxes  are complex and aweful reliability, also Mazda more reliable than Honda these days  and nicer to drive

That's the first time I've heard that Mazda is more reliable than Honda. Are you sure? At least it doesn't have the best reputation in Thailand after the scandal with the CX5 some years back. I believe they've improved, but owning a Honda here in BKK for 6 years now, I can't think of one thing to complain (well after I started using the Honda center next to our house).

I'm sure some have the same experience with Mazda so it just depends which one you're used to. For me it's hard to change brands because I've been so happy with Honda and their service!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

That's the first time I've heard that Mazda is more reliable than Honda. Are you sure? At least it doesn't have the best reputation in Thailand after the scandal with the CX5 some years back. I believe they've improved, but owning a Honda here in BKK for 6 years now, I can't think of one thing to complain (well after I started using the Honda center next to our house).

I'm sure some have the same experience with Mazda so it just depends which one you're used to. For me it's hard to change brands because I've been so happy with Honda and their service!

3 Years with the CX-5 - no issues with reliability. Service has been ok. 

I think all dealers and service centres are fine when everything is fine. The true test is when something outside of the norm happens and there is no standard response or course of action. I suspect this is when Honda service may outshine Mazda’s - but that is an opinion based purely on reputation and not experience. 

In choosing cars, I looked at the Honda CRV but found it a little too utilitarian inside, the CX-5 was a lot more refined. 

Had the CX-8 been out, I would most likely have chosen that - but thats a personal choice. 

Ultimately: they are probably too similar, the service, reliability etc - so chose whichever you like the most !!

Re-sale value may also come into the decision - it didn’t for me, I liked the Mazda much more. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

Thanks for that feedback. I think this is the general experience for anyone who bought a CRV. There's a reason it won awards in many countries. Everything is just well thought and works. I especially love the comfortable seats and the new panoramic roof is a nice gimmick too – evetho not so useful in Thailand. 

That being said, I did really like the CX8 too and it's a tough decision. I guess as a brand I just trust Honda more and the length of the CX8 might just be a bit too much for my use. There is of course some price difference too, which is minor at this point. Actually the Honda dealers gave a big promotion right away but the Mazda dealers offer 0% financing but with less reduction. The price difference should end up being around 200,000b.

We'll be looking to trade the car in a year or so.  I think the CX8 is fairly new here.  We'll probably take a look at it but I'm not sure about the size being bigger.  We really like the current CR-V size--not as big as a Fortuner or Pajero but bigger than a CX5 or Toyota Cross.  We'll see what's on the market for sale then.

1 hour ago, ChomDo said:

I guess you're right about that but is there really anything wrong with their traditional 2.4L petrol? Seems to be reliable and drives smooth. I test drove the 1.6 diesel 2 years ago and could not accept that annoying sound from the engine so that was never an option. 

I wish they had brought out the hybrid here in Thailand. I would go for that without question! 

Yes,there’s plenty wrong to be buying at full price inefficient (fuel economy) very ,very old technology engines. You wouldn’t contemplate doing it for a phone,tv,computer,so why a car ? They simply wouldn’t get away with it in western markets 

44 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think all dealers and service centres are fine when everything is fine. The true test is when something outside of the norm happens and there is no standard response or course of action. I suspect this is when Honda service may outshine Mazda’s - but that is an opinion based purely on reputation and not experience. 

In choosing cars, I looked at the Honda CRV but found it a little too utilitarian inside, the CX-5 was a lot more refined. 

Had the CX-8 been out, I would most likely have chosen that - but thats a personal choice. 

Ultimately: they are probably too similar, the service, reliability etc - so chose whichever you like the most !!

Re-sale value may also come into the decision - it didn’t for me, I liked the Mazda much more. 

It’s irrelevant to be quoting reliability in a vehicle after only 3 years - it damn well should be! It’s 6 years at least before that comes into play . My daughters uk Yaris has a 5 year warranty and now 7 years old has needed only a £15 windscreen wiper! 

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

That's all true and good advice. I've had my Honda City for 6 years now (tho driven it only 35,000 km) and never had the slightest issue. But as you said, you can only really measure the service when you do have a problem.

I've heard a lot of good feedback about the CX5, but I didn't even test drive it's just not big enough for our purpose. I've heard it's great to drive. Then again the CX8 is a bit too big so the CRV is basically just the perfect size. The interior of the CRV clearly looses to the Mazda in style but is very clever and I do like the CRV's wide strong look of the front view. 

2 hours ago, nchuckle said:

Yes,there’s plenty wrong to be buying at full price inefficient (fuel economy) very ,very old technology engines. You wouldn’t contemplate doing it for a phone,tv,computer,so why a car ? They simply wouldn’t get away with it in western markets 

Ok I get your point but we're in Thailand and there aren't so many options for a somewhat reasonable price. If I was buying now back in Europe I would go for the Volvo CX60 but here that's totally out of question here because of the ridiculous pricing. Just give me your view of a better choice in Thailand considering what I've said above (diesel not an option for me, CX5 too small, CX8 a bit too long..etc.)?

2 hours ago, nchuckle said:

It’s irrelevant to be quoting reliability in a vehicle after only 3 years - it damn well should be! It’s 6 years at least before that comes into play . My daughters uk Yaris has a 5 year warranty and now 7 years old has needed only a £15 windscreen wiper! 

Not sure sure about that - about 10 years ago I picked up a new car,  it broke down before I got it home !!!

It took a couple of weeks but got a full refund - A comical and horrible situation at the same time !

That said in general, your point is valid: there shouldn’t be anything going wrong on any modern cars within the first 5 years or so - which begs the question: If the Op is going to have the car for 10 years or 5 etc... 

I’m now off to look at Autotrader and get a Yaris imported from the UK !:neus: 

And that opens the door for another option: Toyota - has the Op considered the new Toyota Cross ? - it looks ok, I’m not sure how well it competes with the CRV or CX-5 / 8.

38 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

Ok I get your point but we're in Thailand and there aren't so many options for a somewhat reasonable price. If I was buying now back in Europe I would go for the Volvo CX60 but here that's totally out of question here because of the ridiculous pricing. Just give me your view of a better choice in Thailand considering what I've said above (diesel not an option for me, CX5 too small, CX8 a bit too long..etc.)?

The CX-8 is 30cm longer than both the CX-5 and CRV

The CX-8 has 1727 litres of cargo space seats down (774 second row up / 203 3rd row up)

The CX-5 has 1620 litres of cargo space seats down (503 rear seats up)

The CRV has 1669 litres of cargo space seats down (589 rear seats up)

Does the 2020 CRV have a 3rd row ? (I know you’re not interested anyway). 

It looks like the CX-5 and CRV are comparable size wise... luggage capacity and length.

The CX-8 is 30cm longer than both, I’m not sure that difference is noticeable. 

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The CX-8 is 30cm longer than both the CX-5 and CRV

The CX-8 has 1727 litres of cargo space seats down (774 second row up / 203 3rd row up)

The CX-5 has 1620 litres of cargo space seats down (503 rear seats up)

The CRV has 1669 litres of cargo space seats down (589 rear seats up)

Does the 2020 CRV have a 3rd row ? (I know you’re not interested anyway). 

It looks like the CX-5 and CRV are comparable size wise... luggage capacity and length.

The CX-8 is 30cm longer than both, I’m not sure that difference is noticeable. 

Cargo space measured in liters (or unit of volume) can be deceiving deceiving. 

Is the CX-8 wheel-base significantly longer? If so, it would likely make for a much nicer road car but might be more difficult to maneuver.

OP have you considered the MG HS PHEV, a plug-in hybrid as the name suggest, see a lot on the roads now, good looking car.

About same size as the cars mentioned in earlier posts.

Lots of power when using both system and using no fuel for short trips.

I am seriously considering one but I am waiting for more reviews before making up my mind and I am also not sure about the quality?

I am surprised Mazda don't offer any hybrid cars here especially now when the government wants electric/hybrid cars on the roads.

https://www.mgcars.com/en/mg-models/new-mg-hs-phev/overview

Edited by guzzi850m2

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not sure sure about that - about 10 years ago I picked up a new car,  it broke down before I got it home !!!

It took a couple of weeks but got a full refund - A comical and horrible situation at the same time !

That said in general, your point is valid: there shouldn’t be anything going wrong on any modern cars within the first 5 years or so - which begs the question: If the Op is going to have the car for 10 years or 5 etc... 

I’m now off to look at Autotrader and get a Yaris imported from the UK !:neus: 

And that opens the door for another option: Toyota - has the Op considered the new Toyota Cross ? - it looks ok, I’m not sure how well it competes with the CRV or CX-5 / 8.

With Japanese you’re most likely to be fine for bulk of 10 years. See JD Power reliability report. German prestige brands are well down the list now with JLR (Jaguar Land Rover) bottom of the heap. 

On 1/17/2021 at 3:08 PM, JoePai said:

Wife and I took about 3 weeks of looking between the CRV and CX5 plus a couple of test drives and decided on the CRV as best all-rounder for us.

Had it 4 months now and very pleased with the choice of CRV

Good to hear you've been happy with your CRV! So it seems to be according to all the reviews too that it's just the best all-rounder in the segment.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2021 at 3:31 PM, guzzi850m2 said:

OP have you considered the MG HS PHEV, a plug-in hybrid as the name suggest, see a lot on the roads now, good looking car.

About same size as the cars mentioned in earlier posts.

Lots of power when using both system and using no fuel for short trips.

I am seriously considering one but I am waiting for more reviews before making up my mind and I am also not sure about the quality?

I am surprised Mazda don't offer any hybrid cars here especially now when the government wants electric/hybrid cars on the roads.

https://www.mgcars.com/en/mg-models/new-mg-hs-phev/overview

I gave some thought to MG last year but then just wasn't quite ready to trust the brand at this point. It make sense in many ways and has good pricing but as for many, I'm not ready for a Chinese car brand ????

Like you said the lack of hybrid SUV's is disappointing. I hope this is the last petrol engined car I'll buy!

Edited by ChomDo
  • Like 2