Mazda CX 8 vs Honda CRV?

ChomDo

1 hour ago, ChomDo said:

Good to hear you've been happy with your CRV! So it seems to be according to all the reviews too that it's just the best all-rounder in the segment.

In much the same way that Vanilla is the best all-around flavor...

On 1/17/2021 at 1:16 PM, nchuckle said:

With Japanese you’re most likely to be fine for bulk of 10 years. See JD Power reliability report. German prestige brands are well down the list now with JLR (Jaguar Land Rover) bottom of the heap. 

haha - take a wild guess what brand of car it was which broke down within 2 hours of collecting it !!!!

On 1/15/2021 at 4:53 PM, Jitar said:

The only thing against the CX-8 is it's a tad overweight at close to 2t. 

That's gotta dull the acceleration to PPV levels.

Not really. Its quicker than all PPV's, but also a lot more expensive. 

image.png.8f07c62410d213964ee54c5b0116eb1e.png

On 1/17/2021 at 11:36 AM, ChomDo said:

Ok I get your point but we're in Thailand and there aren't so many options for a somewhat reasonable price. If I was buying now back in Europe I would go for the Volvo CX60 but here that's totally out of question here because of the ridiculous pricing. Just give me your view of a better choice in Thailand considering what I've said above (diesel not an option for me, CX5 too small, CX8 a bit too long..etc.)?

Why is diesel not an option? My crv averager 15.1km for the life of the vehicle. I get 19-20 km/l on the highway (23km/l highest recorded). Around 13-15km/l around Nonthaburi. Very comfortable (with obviously a a firm suspension) and honda service is good. 

I excluded cx-5 after readign about various problems with their engine range and dealer issues. I excluded the crv petrol due to poor duel consumption and cvt box. 

Don't listen to those who don't actually own any of the vehicles you are considering. 

• Like 1

On 1/17/2021 at 8:27 AM, ChomDo said:

That's the first time I've heard that Mazda is more reliable than Honda. Are you sure? At least it doesn't have the best reputation in Thailand after the scandal with the CX5 some years back. I believe they've improved, but owning a Honda here in BKK for 6 years now, I can't think of one thing to complain (well after I started using the Honda center next to our house).

I'm sure some have the same experience with Mazda so it just depends which one you're used to. For me it's hard to change brands because I've been so happy with Honda and their service!

Definitely mazda is NOT more reliable than honda. Mazda even have a facebook page devoted to problems with their cars. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DavisH said:

Why is diesel not an option? My crv averager 15.1km for the life of the vehicle. I get 19-20 km/l on the highway (23km/l highest recorded). Around 13-15km/l around Nonthaburi. Very comfortable (with obviously a a firm suspension) and honda service is good. 

I excluded cx-5 after readign about various problems with their engine range and dealer issues. I excluded the crv petrol due to poor duel consumption and cvt box. 

Don't listen to those who don't actually own any of the vehicles you are considering. 

I guess I'm just not used to the sounds of a diesel engine. I test drove the CRV 1.5 diesel two years ago and was surprised about the constant clattering of the engine. But then again, I've never driven a diesel before so the surprise was quite obvious. I know the fuel economy is not great in the 2.4L petrol, but I drive around 5000-7000km a year so not that much to make a huge difference.

Also, this talk about the CVT box is of course a question of taste. Many people hate it but I kind of like it, since it's just so smooth and effortless to drive – one of the general benefits of an automatic box anyway. I know it sucks for accelerating but I thought the CRV 2.4L petrol did just fine enough when I test drove it, so I'm ok with that.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

CRV is according to reviews very boring to drive, CX5 in top trim; entertaining.

Mazda for me if I had to choose between the two.

My crv isn't exciting, but it's not a sports car either, so I don't expect thar from it. If it didn't flood much in my area I would have replaced my old civix with the 1.5 turbo civic (mifht get my wife to trade her car for one, so I can drive it).

4 hours ago, ChomDo said:

I guess I'm just not used to the sounds of a diesel engine. I test drove the CRV 1.5 diesel two years ago and was surprised about the constant clattering of the engine. But then again, I've never driven a diesel before so the surprise was quite obvious. I know the fuel economy is not great in the 2.4L petrol, but I drive around 5000-7000km a year so not that much to make a huge difference.

Also, this talk about the CVT box is of course a question of taste. Many people hate it but I kind of like it, since it's just so smooth and effortless to drive – one of the general benefits of an automatic box anyway. I know it sucks for accelerating but I thought the CRV 2.4L petrol did just fine enough when I test drove it, so I'm ok with that.  

If you get up to speed in the crv, its quiet. Actually, they have been tested, and the diesel is slightly quieter than the petrol version. I have a preference for the feeling of torque, 350nm vs about 220nm in the petrol version. So its better wne loaded up or going up in the mountains. 

If you drive very little, get a sedan The new city hybrid is quick and gets 25-30km/l. Petrol turbo version a bit less. Still plenty of room for 4-5 adults. 

46 minutes ago, DavisH said:

If you get up to speed in the crv, its quiet. Actually, they have been tested, and the diesel is slightly quieter than the petrol version. I have a preference for the feeling of torque, 350nm vs about 220nm in the petrol version. So its better wne loaded up or going up in the mountains. 

If you drive very little, get a sedan The new city hybrid is quick and gets 25-30km/l. Petrol turbo version a bit less. Still plenty of room for 4-5 adults. 

I mean up to speed in the diesel.

But I wouldn't recommend the current cr-v as it's near the end of it's cycle. There should be a new model either late this year or next year. Possibly the 1.5 turbo and also a hybrid (engine from the accord hybrid). 

On 1/17/2021 at 1:27 AM, ChomDo said:

That's the first time I've heard that Mazda is more reliable than Honda. Are you sure? At least it doesn't have the best reputation in Thailand after the scandal with the CX5 some years back. I believe they've improved, but owning a Honda here in BKK for 6 years now, I can't think of one thing to complain (well after I started using the Honda center next to our house).

I'm sure some have the same experience with Mazda so it just depends which one you're used to. For me it's hard to change brands because I've been so happy with Honda and their service!

Oh Honda used to be  top class for  quality , innovation , reliablity, and reliability not  value  that was Toyotas game . but over last 10 years thats not true in all those areas ,,if you look at the mechanics trade sites , Honda have stood still , foisted some very dubious  enginering  solutions on the public and  as for Value they are  competing with BMW  and Audi  prices ,, Mazda now more innovative , better engineered ,,,, Ok pricy in Thailand but in UK way better ,, ok The dealers are  mostly prats but same for Honda  in UK and Thailand ,, best dealer for service in Thailand are Toyota and Isusu ,, the rest suck ,, in UK hmm depends on the individual dealer ,, but thats the same in all the world ,, Best cars  for reliabilty,  quality  and value  in UK are Kia and Hyundai,  sold with 7 and 5 year warranties  , not even  the Japs are as good anymore  for general market cars or the  fashionista , favorite German   overhyped  cars s ,,

12 hours ago, DavisH said:

If you get up to speed in the crv, its quiet. Actually, they have been tested, and the diesel is slightly quieter than the petrol version. I have a preference for the feeling of torque, 350nm vs about 220nm in the petrol version. So it's better wne loaded up or going up in the mountains. 

Thanks for the advice but I drive in BKK and the diesel makes that pounding sound in traffic and low speeds – very annoying if you're not used to diesel. I know it looses on torque but for the city I still choose the smoothness over torque. I'd hardly be going up any mountains – just road trips on normal paved roads.

I dive little yes but as I mentioned above I already own a Honda city and need the CRV to transport more stuff and throw the bike in etc. Also just for overall comfort. I've actually been looking at changing to a bigger car for a few years so this is not any quick decision. I've been looking at many options and then always come back to the same conclusion that CRV is still the best option for me. The CX8 is great also, but it's just that length and wagon type shape that makes me hesitate + the brand compared to Honda.  

Someone mentioned that the CRV is at the end of its life-cycle. Yea, I would love to have the hybrid but seriously who knows when that would come out. Could be 2 years or more. Actually they do call this CRV "minor change" a mid-life facelift, so I wouldn't expect there to be a new CRV before very earliest 2022 or later, but just guessing. No facts about that yet right.     

So the best deal we're getting from Honda dealers now for the CRV 2.4L (1.529m baht retail price) below. 

- 60k off the price

- Cameras (front and back)

- M3 Nano films (they all give it anyway)

- All the basic stuff like carpets 

They're making a big number about the running board (the side steps garnish) saying that they don't even have it because it's so uncommon. I can't really believe this talk, since I'm not even asking to get it for free. I said from the start that I can pay for it myself, because nobody seems to give it in the deal. It's a standard part in the modulo package so I'm not quite sure why this is such a problem. For me it's a must because it makes the CRV look much better. I don't want any other Modulo stuff, just the running boards.

If they really can't make it happen, does anyone know if it's easy to just order them afterwards and have them put in by Honda or some other car shop?

1 hour ago, ChomDo said:

So the best deal we're getting from Honda dealers now for the CRV 2.4L (1.529m baht retail price) below. 

- 60k off the price

- Cameras (front and back)

- M3 Nano films (they all give it anyway)

- All the basic stuff like carpets 

They're making a big number about the running board (the side steps garnish) saying that they don't even have it because it's so uncommon. I can't really believe this talk, since I'm not even asking to get it for free. I said from the start that I can pay for it myself, because nobody seems to give it in the deal. It's a standard part in the modulo package so I'm not quite sure why this is such a problem. For me it's a must because it makes the CRV look much better. I don't want any other Modulo stuff, just the running boards.

If they really can't make it happen, does anyone know if it's easy to just order them afterwards and have them put in by Honda or some other car shop?

See if you can buy the parts yourself, If it's available to you, it's available to them and, and you might hold put until you get it thrown in. BUT, make sure you get the parts you want, dealers are famous for the old bait & switch...

7 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

See if you can buy the parts yourself, If it's available to you, it's available to them and, and you might hold put until you get it thrown in. BUT, make sure you get the parts you want, dealers are famous for the old bait & switch...

You're right about that. Actually non of the dealers we have asked are willing to throw the running boards in and I thought that's fine because I don't want any low quality free stuff anyway. But very surprising that it seems to be an issue even when I said I'll pay for those myself no worries. 

Maybe it needs one more discussion with this dealer to really make them understand that I'm ready to take that deal but I want the running boards put in (and I'll pay for them). I wasn't the one talking to them so not sure if they understood that I'm serious about the running boards. 

6 hours ago, ChomDo said:

Thanks for the advice but I drive in BKK and the diesel makes that pounding sound in traffic and low speeds – very annoying if you're not used to diesel. I know it looses on torque but for the city I still choose the smoothness over torque. I'd hardly be going up any mountains – just road trips on normal paved roads.

I dive little yes but as I mentioned above I already own a Honda city and need the CRV to transport more stuff and throw the bike in etc. Also just for overall comfort. I've actually been looking at changing to a bigger car for a few years so this is not any quick decision. I've been looking at many options and then always come back to the same conclusion that CRV is still the best option for me. The CX8 is great also, but it's just that length and wagon type shape that makes me hesitate + the brand compared to Honda.  

Someone mentioned that the CRV is at the end of its life-cycle. Yea, I would love to have the hybrid but seriously who knows when that would come out. Could be 2 years or more. Actually they do call this CRV "minor change" a mid-life facelift, so I wouldn't expect there to be a new CRV before very earliest 2022 or later, but just guessing. No facts about that yet right.     

The new crv may come in 2022 (now, know knows with covid and all). Pity the petrol minor change crv doesn't get the honda sensing system (only the diesel has it). If you only drive in BKK the diesel is not a good choice anyway - they need a good run occasionally to keep the dpf healthy. Now you need to consider if its the 5 seat/7seat or 2wd/4wd you want. The last 2 seats in the seven seat are only for small kids (pre-teens), and you lose a lot of rear trunk spack because of the seats. The AWD is not really required if you are mainly in town. You can save some money by getting the petrol 2wd/5seater. I would have gotten the 5 seat if it came in diesel.

16 hours ago, DavisH said:

The new crv may come in 2022 (now, know knows with covid and all). Pity the petrol minor change crv doesn't get the honda sensing system (only the diesel has it). If you only drive in BKK the diesel is not a good choice anyway - they need a good run occasionally to keep the dpf healthy. Now you need to consider if its the 5 seat/7seat or 2wd/4wd you want. The last 2 seats in the seven seat are only for small kids (pre-teens), and you lose a lot of rear trunk spack because of the seats. The AWD is not really required if you are mainly in town. You can save some money by getting the petrol 2wd/5seater. I would have gotten the 5 seat if it came in diesel.

Thanks for the ideas. It was actually easily decided that I would go for the 5 seater, since I need trunk space and not really to carry more than 5 people. I know the AWD is really not necessary but it's always hard to go for the base model that drops many other things off (such as the panoramic sun roof which I found very nice during the test drive). I'm going for the 5 seater 2.4L AWD (1.529 Mil baht original price). At least we've now got all the additions discussed now (the running boards are ok now too) and the price has dropped a bit more by negotiating. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChomDo said:

Thanks for the ideas. It was actually easily decided that I would go for the 5 seater, since I need trunk space and not really to carry more than 5 people. I know the AWD is really not necessary but it's always hard to go for the base model that drops many other things off (such as the panoramic sun roof which I found very nice during the test drive). I'm going for the 5 seater 2.4L AWD (1.529 Mil baht original price). At least we've now got all the additions discussed now (the running boards are ok now too) and the price has dropped a bit more by negotiating. 

Glad you got the running boards. It’s worth noting that the car companies are hurting and seem to be much more receptive to negotiating than they’ve been in the past. Any other DIOs you want, now is the time to ask.

“If you don’t ask, the answer is no.”

Just a little question about cameras if someone has knowledge about this. I currently have high quality front and back cameras bought directly from the a car camera dealer. I prefer the "tube" type of front camera which doesn't have a screen and hides behind the mirror. I don't like having display hanging below the mirror.

Anyway the Honda dealers always give the traditional model (with display) which is still fine but then I noticed the one they give for the rear is set outside of the car. I'm not sure why that is and is it common? My current rear cam is inside the car at the top of the back window. Is it just that the cheaper back cams go outside and does that mean drilling a hole trough the trunk or what?

I might just skip the free cam and get the one I want from the car camera shop but just wanted to get some thoughts of this type of back cam first.

5 hours ago, ChomDo said:

Just a little question about cameras if someone has knowledge about this. I currently have high quality front and back cameras bought directly from the a car camera dealer. I prefer the "tube" type of front camera which doesn't have a screen and hides behind the mirror. I don't like having display hanging below the mirror.

Anyway the Honda dealers always give the traditional model (with display) which is still fine but then I noticed the one they give for the rear is set outside of the car. I'm not sure why that is and is it common? My current rear cam is inside the car at the top of the back window. Is it just that the cheaper back cams go outside and does that mean drilling a hole trough the trunk or what?

I might just skip the free cam and get the one I want from the car camera shop but just wanted to get some thoughts of this type of back cam first.

For our CRV we had Honda fit the correct one* behind the mirror as part of the 'deal'

*i.e. not the traditional model with a display

1 hour ago, JoePai said:

For our CRV we had Honda fit the correct one* behind the mirror as part of the 'deal'

*i.e. not the traditional model with a display

Yea that would be better for me too, but the only option seems to be that I get that done myself afterwards. Anyway, my main question above was about the rear camera being outside of the car, like around the licence plate? Anybody know why they would put it there instead of the rear window inside the car and if there's some obvious disadvantage in having it outside? One I can think of is drilling a hole in my trunk to get the cable trough.

1 hour ago, ChomDo said:

One I can think of is drilling a hole in my trunk to get the cable trough.

Ours if secured to the rear bumper cover by SS machine screws.

The cable is inside a loom, goes inside the frame rail before entering the cabin by the firewall, where there us a water tight boot with enuf room to pass another 2 wires easily.

From there to the bakup switch for when you engage reverse, always on facing rearward if switch not closed.

6 hours ago, ChomDo said:

Yea that would be better for me too, but the only option seems to be that I get that done myself afterwards. Anyway, my main question above was about the rear camera being outside of the car, like around the licence plate? Anybody know why they would put it there instead of the rear window inside the car and if there's some obvious disadvantage in having it outside? One I can think of is drilling a hole in my trunk to get the cable trough.

That's is the reverse camera. It's not used for recording activity while driving. For that, you need another camera fitted in the same way you got the front camera fitted. 

• Like 1

For those wanting a high quality, non obstructive Dash-Cam BlackVue are some of the best out there. No cheap, but they’re good (forward and rear facing) - I’d recommend this is wanting a top of the range Dash-Cam. 

The Xiaomi 70 Mai A800 (forward and rear facing) has a screen, but its a small unit and is competitively priced. 

I am currently using this dash-cam in my car - seems decent, no issues so far - I’d recommend it. 

To my knowledge, all ‘dash cams’ are installed internally (i.e. within the car, on the inside of the windscreen / rear screen) anything externally mounted may be a ‘reversing camera’ (as DavisH pointed out). 

For motorcyclists who want an install and forget option instead of using a Go-Pro, the Innov K2 forward and rear-facing cam can easily mounted and does the trick although it doesn’t offer the same ‘view’ as a helmet mounted cam its ‘install and forget’ so one never needs to worry about charing their Go-Pro or running out of battery etc.

Thanks for the replies. Maybe there was some confusion here as the CRV obviously has a reverse cam built in (that's outside at the licence plate as usual). Even my City has a reverse cam. I'm now only talking about the rear recording camera that comes with the dash cam. In the pictures from Honda it's installed outside at the licence plate which I don't understand. Maybe there's a fault there, I can confirm. But anyway I would really prefer the tube model anyway. I don't see any sense or need for the screen since you're not supposed to be looking at it anyway. It's just more of a disturbance.

The Mi Mai70 A800 that was suggested above (the flatter square shaped model) looks smart to me and would sit nicely behind the mirror I guess. I had a problem with my current tube shaped camera since the attachment is only on one side of the tube. Within time the weight of the cam pulls one side down and stated to even take my window film down with it. Seems like an obvious design fault. Don't get it why the attachment part is not in the middle of the cam or both sides. Anyway I wouldn't want to risk the cam dropping off or pulling the film in my new car so I would rather go with the more stable looking one. The Mi Mai70 seems to have both types. I'll add pics of both to clarify what I mean here.  

Screenshot 2021-01-23 at 11.12.14.png

Screenshot 2021-01-23 at 11.12.20.png