Mazda CX 8 vs Honda CRV?

ChomDo

20 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

Thanks for the replies. Maybe there was some confusion here as the CRV obviously has a reverse cam built in (that's outside at the licence plate as usual). Even my City has a reverse cam. I'm now only talking about the rear recording camera that comes with the dash cam. In the pictures from Honda it's installed outside at the licence plate which I don't understand. Maybe there's a fault there, I can confirm. But anyway I would really prefer the tube model anyway. I don't see any sense or need for the screen since you're not supposed to be looking at it anyway. It's just more of a disturbance.

The Mi Mai70 A800 that was suggested above (the flatter square shaped model) looks smart to me and would sit nicely behind the mirror I guess. I had a problem with my current tube shaped camera since the attachment is only on one side of the tube. Within time the weight of the cam pulls one side down and stated to even take my window film down with it. Seems like an obvious design fault. Don't get it why the attachment part is not in the middle of the cam or both sides. Anyway I wouldn't want to risk the cam dropping off or pulling the film in my new car so I would rather go with the more stable looking one. The Mi Mai70 seems to have both types. I'll add pics of both to clarify what I mean here.  

The Xiaomi 70mai A800 actually has a screen and also has a rear facing cam (the cam in your post was another version). 

You can turn the screen off, it will also fit behind your rear-view mirror depending on your car as some cars have ‘tech’ behind the rear view mirror. 

https://geektech.me/регистратор-xiaomi-70mai-a800-2-камеры-4k/

Screenshot 2021-01-23 at 07.33.27.png

On 1/20/2021 at 9:21 AM, Yellowtail said:

My daddy always told me: "When it comes to cars, don't ask somebody that has one, ask somebody that had one."

Which initially seems like excellent advice, however, how many past owners of new CRV’s are there?

They’re all still ‘current owners’ unless they keep a car for just one or two years. 

On 1/23/2021 at 11:39 AM, richard_smith237 said:

The Xiaomi 70mai A800 actually has a screen and also has a rear facing cam (the cam in your post was another version). 

You can turn the screen off, it will also fit behind your rear-view mirror depending on your car as some cars have ‘tech’ behind the rear view mirror. 

https://geektech.me/регистратор-xiaomi-70mai-a800-2-камеры-4k/

Screenshot 2021-01-23 at 07.33.27.png

Thanks. This one seems like the type I would like alright. The one I showed in the pic is the one without screen but it seems to be missing the rear cam. If this one can be hidden behind the rear view mirror of the CRV then it would work fine. Also, the attachment looks strong so it shouldn't start dropping down like the tube version I showed. 

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Which initially seems like excellent advice, however, how many past owners of new CRV’s are there?

They’re all still ‘current owners’ unless they keep a car for just one or two years. 

No shortage of people trading in old CRVs for new...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Yellowtail said:
18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:
On 1/20/2021 at 9:21 AM, Yellowtail said:

My daddy always told me: "When it comes to cars, don't ask somebody that has one, ask somebody that had one."

No shortage of people trading in old CRVs for new...

Awww dear... I can see you are struggling with this one... 

......... The Op isn’t looking for experiences of the previous model... he’s looking for experiences of the ‘latest model’ as that is what he is looking at buying.

If I’m buying a New Toyota Camry, the bugs and issues with the previous 2017 Camry are of little relevance. 

The only thing of relevance is the customer and technical service. 

Now.. Finding someone who owned, but is not longer an owner of a 2020 Camry is difficult - most owners keep a car for longer than a year etc...  So the ‘find someone that had one’ comment doesn’t really work for new cars.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Awww dear... I can see you are struggling with this one... 

......... The Op isn’t looking for experiences of the previous model... he’s looking for experiences of the ‘latest model’ as that is what he is looking at buying.

If I’m buying a New Toyota Camry, the bugs and issues with the previous 2017 Camry are of little relevance. 

The only thing of relevance is the customer and technical service. 

Now.. Finding someone who owned, but is not longer an owner of a 2020 Camry is difficult - most owners keep a car for longer than a year etc...  So the ‘find someone that had one’ comment doesn’t really work for new cars.

Of course you're right honey. 

In any event, is not the current platform 3-4 years old?

Edited by Yellowtail
added note

• 1 month later...
37 minutes ago, metisdead said:

Off topic posts about driver's license renewal and certificate of residence issues have been removed as well as the replies. 

Sorry I just noticed that they went in to the wrong thread. I'm the OP of both of the topics and they were supposed to go into this one:  

Could you please move them there, since I had some valuable info and questions that you deleted from here?

5 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

Sorry I just noticed that they went in to the wrong thread. I'm the OP of both of the topics and they were supposed to go into this one:  

Could you please move them there, since I had some valuable info and questions that you deleted from here?

The hidden posts have now been moved into your other topic. 

• 1 month later...

Got my CRV finally after a long wait and happy with my decision so far. Now I was wondering if I should wax my new car? Just thought I could ask for opinions here first. There seems to be mixed views about this topic on various websites so not sure which way to go – wax it well right away or not? 

6 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

Got my CRV finally after a long wait and happy with my decision so far. Now I was wondering if I should wax my new car? Just thought I could ask for opinions here first. There seems to be mixed views about this topic on various websites so not sure which way to go – wax it well right away or not? 

I wait thirty days.

18 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I wait thirty days.

Only 30 days, ok thanks for the hint. Meguiar's White Wax seems to get good reviews. Any other suggestions? Probably will order on Lazada anyway.

The Honda seller was trying to sell the glass coating service as they usually do but I don't know if I'd really need it. My cars are under the roof and driven 5000-7000 km a year so probably not really in the need for maximum protection.

2 hours ago, ChomDo said:

Only 30 days, ok thanks for the hint. Meguiar's White Wax seems to get good reviews. Any other suggestions? Probably will order on Lazada anyway.

The Honda seller was trying to sell the glass coating service as they usually do but I don't know if I'd really need it. My cars are under the roof and driven 5000-7000 km a year so probably not really in the need for maximum protection.

I got the ceramic coat as part of my crv purchase in 2019. It gets redone every 6 months and I pay 1000 for that. 

I think it's worthwhile as it reduces the likelhood of deep scratches and does not need polishing monthly. Whatever blemises I get in the paint can be removed easily with polish or compound. It also helps to stop staining from bird poo of tree sap. So far there are no scrathes in the body after 40K km and 2 years. I use a meguiars spray on coating for ceramic coats occasonally to keep it slick. 

It's also a large vehicle for polishing yourself. It would be easier to toake it to a shop for that if you deside to go that route. Meguairs products are good. 

1 hour ago, DavisH said:

I got the ceramic coat as part of my crv purchase in 2019. It gets redone every 6 months and I pay 1000 for that. 

I think it's worthwhile as it reduces the likelhood of deep scratches and does not need polishing monthly. Whatever blemises I get in the paint can be removed easily with polish or compound. It also helps to stop staining from bird poo of tree sap. So far there are no scrathes in the body after 40K km and 2 years. I use a meguiars spray on coating for ceramic coats occasonally to keep it slick. 

It's also a large vehicle for polishing yourself. It would be easier to toake it to a shop for that if you deside to go that route. Meguairs products are good. 

Ok sounds good. It's been a while since I used wax or took my older car to a shop for treatment, but now I'm finding these wash + ceramic (silica spray) waxing services around my neighbourhood. Is this the one you're talking about. They seem to be around 700–800b. So is this a better option nowadays than traditional hard wax?

I was checking this Soft99 Car Detailing center near my house. It gets great reviews and the services list below:  

62232599_Screenshot2021-05-02at11_25_38.thumb.png.ef2c795f0d434830689cc9cf8eff34e0.png

8 hours ago, ChomDo said:

Ok sounds good. It's been a while since I used wax or took my older car to a shop for treatment, but now I'm finding these wash + ceramic (silica spray) waxing services around my neighbourhood. Is this the one you're talking about. They seem to be around 700–800b. So is this a better option nowadays than traditional hard wax?

I was checking this Soft99 Car Detailing center near my house. It gets great reviews and the services list below:  

62232599_Screenshot2021-05-02at11_25_38.thumb.png.ef2c795f0d434830689cc9cf8eff34e0.png

It might be worth a look. I know the ceramic coating cost from honda was less than this. But you should go to their shop and see some of the cars they are doing and what the finished product looks like. After a ceramic coating you really dont need to touch the paint again - but you could take it for a wash (as shown on the left diagram), or wash it yourself. 

11 hours ago, DavisH said:

It might be worth a look. I know the ceramic coating cost from honda was less than this. But you should go to their shop and see some of the cars they are doing and what the finished product looks like. After a ceramic coating you really dont need to touch the paint again - but you could take it for a wash (as shown on the left diagram), or wash it yourself. 

Thanks! What I'm still wondering is that if the "Silica shine program" (mentioned in the price list above) is the same as you were referring to? I'm getting confused with the ceramic coatings now. The one I knew about before is expensive and somewhat comparable to the glass coating but now I see all these cheap ceramic/silica treatments (699b for size L car in the image above). That's not what we're talking about here is it? You did mention your ceramic coating service being 1000b per time so that price is comparable tho. This is all new to me since I used to only use a traditional hard wax for my Honda City.

On 5/3/2021 at 7:54 AM, ChomDo said:

Thanks! What I'm still wondering is that if the "Silica shine program" (mentioned in the price list above) is the same as you were referring to? I'm getting confused with the ceramic coatings now. The one I knew about before is expensive and somewhat comparable to the glass coating but now I see all these cheap ceramic/silica treatments (699b for size L car in the image above). That's not what we're talking about here is it? You did mention your ceramic coating service being 1000b per time so that price is comparable tho. This is all new to me since I used to only use a traditional hard wax for my Honda City.

The ist on the right looks like a ceramic/glass coat price. That's like a semi-permanent coating they put on the paint. It makes the paint very smooth and allows water to bead and run off it. I'm not sure about the prices on the left table. They could just be regular wash and wax prices. 

21 hours ago, DavisH said:

The ist on the right looks like a ceramic/glass coat price. That's like a semi-permanent coating they put on the paint. It makes the paint very smooth and allows water to bead and run off it. I'm not sure about the prices on the left table. They could just be regular wash and wax prices. 

Yes that's correct. I've been reading about the ceramic coatings and it seems to be around 8000-10000b in some well known reputable detailing shops around BKK. What made me confused was when you mentioned yours being 1000b every 6 months. I guess the ceramic coating would be a good idea so I don't need to worry about the dirt of the rainy season (which seems to have started in the end of March instead of May here in BKK), bird poo and those orange stains from certain trees.

Now I'm just wondering if it's still too early to do since it seems like the Honda dealer applied some type of wax on the new car. I'm not sure if this is normal that they would do that but when I checked the paint work of my CRV, I saw signs of some type of wax used. Not sure if the car detailing shops can take that wax layer off before the ceramic then since you're not supposed to apply the ceramic on wax. Any ideas?

13 hours ago, ChomDo said:

Yes that's correct. I've been reading about the ceramic coatings and it seems to be around 8000-10000b in some well known reputable detailing shops around BKK. What made me confused was when you mentioned yours being 1000b every 6 months. I guess the ceramic coating would be a good idea so I don't need to worry about the dirt of the rainy season (which seems to have started in the end of March instead of May here in BKK), bird poo and those orange stains from certain trees.

Now I'm just wondering if it's still too early to do since it seems like the Honda dealer applied some type of wax on the new car. I'm not sure if this is normal that they would do that but when I checked the paint work of my CRV, I saw signs of some type of wax used. Not sure if the car detailing shops can take that wax layer off before the ceramic then since you're not supposed to apply the ceramic on wax. Any ideas?

Give it a few weeks, it would come off itself. But I'm pretty sure they could remove it. I seem to recall my ceramic package was about 13000 baht or thereabouts. Then I pay them 1000 every 6 months to go over it. That woudl be part of your package. It's a honda city, so should cost too much to do. Better to do ti earlier rhather than later after the paint is marked and scratched up. 

11 hours ago, DavisH said:

Give it a few weeks, it would come off itself. But I'm pretty sure they could remove it. I seem to recall my ceramic package was about 13000 baht or thereabouts. Then I pay them 1000 every 6 months to go over it. That woudl be part of your package. It's a honda city, so should cost too much to do. Better to do ti earlier rhather than later after the paint is marked and scratched up. 

Thanks! Yea I think I'll do the same. The Honda dealer was offering us a Glass Coating for some 20k for the new CRV but I'm more inclined to the ceramic now. I like to do these services at our Honda dealer because I know the people there and they have very good service, but I'm wondering if they just outsource the coating service somewhere else and charge me extra. The good thing of course is that they take some extra responsibility in case of any problems. Didn't ask them yet what's the price for ceramic but now Autoplus seems to have a promo for 8,000b. I'll check what the price is with Honda first. 

1 hour ago, ChomDo said:

Thanks! Yea I think I'll do the same. The Honda dealer was offering us a Glass Coating for some 20k for the new CRV but I'm more inclined to the ceramic now. I like to do these services at our Honda dealer because I know the people there and they have very good service, but I'm wondering if they just outsource the coating service somewhere else and charge me extra. The good thing of course is that they take some extra responsibility in case of any problems. Didn't ask them yet what's the price for ceramic but now Autoplus seems to have a promo for 8,000b. I'll check what the price is with Honda first. 

It;s convenient to do it at the dealer as you can do it at the same time as the regular service. I'm not sure there's much difference between the glass coat and ceramic coat.