COE: Question about "Country of origin" vs 3rd country where you're flying from?

Hi,

First let me clarify that I sent the same question a few days ago to the COE email in my country, but I'm still waiting for reply despite being a somewhat urgent matter. I'll update the post with their official response, if I get any.

I'm in the process of getting a TR visa, checking the online COE application the first field asks for your "Country of Origin" and then this displays which embassies/consulates are available for process your COE. Is this your country of origin , or the country of origin of the trip? As COEs are issued for specific flights/ASQ combination.

I'm travelling from my origin country ( with my visa ready, but no COE yet ) to Dubai, will stay in Dubai 1 month, then process the COE online (as must be done max 2 weeks before ) and take a flight to Bangkok. Would this be any problem? I'm not Dubai resident of any sorts, just a tourist. My guess is that despite the first flight departing from Dubai, I will still mark my country or origin in the COE, but with Thai bureaucracy you never know what stupid rule they made up this time.

Flights and ASQ bookings are not a problem as I need to get these anyway to process the visa, so I'm just worried of the COE being rejected because I'm applying from a 3rd country.

Thanks!

The country of origin is the one you will be starting your trip from. It is not your home country.

The problem people have in that case is if they need a visa for entry since many embassies and official consulates will only issue a visa to citizens or legal resident of the country the are in.

I suggest you submit a COE to the consulate in Dubai.

Thanks for the replies @asiaexpat and @ubonjoe , I contacted the UAE consulate as well but they seem to have miss-read my question and they replied about the visas, not the COE. I will ask them again. 

For reference they said: 

Dear Applicant,

We are process the visa for all the applicants who residence in UAE ONLY

Please to suggest you to visit our website for more information and appointment at https://dubai.thaiembassy.org/en/index

15 hours ago, cpillow said:

Hi,

First let me clarify that I sent the same question a few days ago to the COE email in my country, but I'm still waiting for reply despite being a somewhat urgent matter. I'll update the post with their official response, if I get any.

I'm in the process of getting a TR visa, checking the online COE application the first field asks for your "Country of Origin" and then this displays which embassies/consulates are available for process your COE. Is this your country of origin , or the country of origin of the trip? As COEs are issued for specific flights/ASQ combination.

I'm travelling from my origin country ( with my visa ready, but no COE yet ) to Dubai, will stay in Dubai 1 month, then process the COE online (as must be done max 2 weeks before ) and take a flight to Bangkok. Would this be any problem? 

A COE can be applied for at anytime even if your flight is months away. I obtained my COE about 21 days before my flight to Thailand.

20 hours ago, cpillow said:

Just got the confirmation that I will need to process the visa in my home country, but the COE "Country of Origin" must be the one where the flight departs from. Thanks for the help ????

Yes. Embassies will only process visa applications from citizens of, or legal residents of, the country in which that embassy is. So for example a British national applying to the Thai Embassy in France wold have to offer proof of legal residency in France. I think all embassies, not just Thai, apply this. So being a tourist, even a long stay one with a visa , would not be enough and you would need to apply to the Thai Embassy in the country of your passport, which could be difficult, costly, tiresome if they require a personal attendance or an address in that country. I had this very problem whilst living in France  without any proof of legal residency, as at that time I could do. In the end I entered Thailand on tourist exempt and applied in Thailand through the extensions procedure back then.

21 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Yes. Embassies will only process visa applications from citizens of, or legal residents of, the country in which that embassy is. So for example a British national applying to the Thai Embassy in France wold have to offer proof of legal residency in France. I think all embassies, not just Thai, apply this. So being a tourist, even a long stay one with a visa , would not be enough and you would need to apply to the Thai Embassy in the country of your passport, which could be difficult, costly, tiresome if they require a personal attendance or an address in that country. I had this very problem whilst living in France  without any proof of legal residency, as at that time I could do. In the end I entered Thailand on tourist exempt and applied in Thailand through the extensions procedure back then.

The Thai consulate in Amsterdam never asked me for proof of residency when I used to get my 60 day visa.Just fill in form,2 photos,€30 and my UK passport.Pick up two days later.There used to be other non Dutch getting visas as well.

3 minutes ago, adammike said:

The Thai consulate in Amsterdam never asked me for proof of residency when I used to get my 60 day visa.Just fill in form,2 photos,€30 and my UK passport.Pick up two days later.There used to be other non Dutch getting visas as well.

And a copy of my flight schedule/e-ticket

1 hour ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Embassies will only process visa applications from citizens of, or legal residents of, the country in which that embassy is.

That's not entirely correct, I guess may depend on each consulate/embassy though. Personally I did my Thai visa (both tourist and ED) in different countries like Vietnam or Taiwan. Other countries like Japan or Dubai seems to deal with residents only. 

Op a very similar situation here, just over the border. 

I am already holding a Visa (Extension of Stay based on Marriage to a Thai national & multiple re-entry permit).

The Thai Embassy Qatar confirmed that the application for CoE is registered to the Country you are travelling from and not your country of passport

(The Thai Embassy Doha confirmed this in an e-mail - I’m sure the same applies to you travelling from Dubai).

https://coethailand.mfa.go.th/regis/step?language=en

You should fill out your ‘country of origin’ as the ‘place your journey originates: i.e. UAE... & RTE Dubai.

As you already have your TR visa there is no further complication.

Screenshot 2021-01-16 at 19.25.53.png

Hi,

I can tell you my experience and I had a lot of very helpful information from here.

I am a UK citizen and work in Afghanistan, I applied for my COE around 6-7 weeks ago, I was a little concerned about applying through the Thai Embassy in Afghanistan so I thought I would leave early and spend a few weeks in Dubai prior to flying to Thailand and apply through the Thai Embassy in Abu Dhabi, I was also concerned that I would have to be a resident but this was not the case, all came back approved.

Due to work commitments and travel issues I was unable to fly to Dubai early so literally flew from Bagram to Dubai and then on to Thailand 6-7 hours later, I had no issues at all, I did state on the forms that I was coming from Afghanistan so as to be transparent, a lie can always catch you out, I also had hard copies of all my documents to make it easy, I did witness some of the immigration officers getting very frustrated by people trying show the required paperwork on their phones and tablets, and the IO actually thanked me for making it easy, I zipped through.

My very strong recommendation would be make sure you have hard copies of all the documents you need, including passport and any Visa you might have, it will make the process 5 times faster and the Immigration Officers will really appreciate it, I am now on day 4 of my quarantine and enjoying the peace and tranquillity. 

Archived