The generosity of Thais.

Lacessit

18 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I could start mentioning about the ones that will try and take an arm and a leg, but won't because I don't want to be called a Thai basher.

You walked straight into that one.  You are now so called! 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, PatOngo said:

I was pulled over by a policeman so I asked why did he pull me over, he said speeding, I said "how do you know?", he went red in the face and had no answer, I asked "how much?", he said "up to you", I offered him two hundred baht, he gave me back one hundred and told me to go. Yes they can be generous! ????

Being pulled over in Thailand is a new one on me. I must live a a blessed life.

• Haha 1

I have often been tempted to start some new arcane topic - eg a complaint about the price of haggis in Glasgow - to see how long it would take for someone to turn it into an anti-Thai rant. So refreshing to get an opposite view, which reflects my own experience. Driving round Chiang Mai on my motorbike I have even been impressed by the kindness and consideration of most drivers - those with ancient pickups and new fast motorbikes not necessarily included.

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I don't think my GF's generosity would extend to a mia noi or gik, and I'm not inclined to put it to the test. Too old anyway.

The Mia Noi thingy is a pretty stupid behavior of the local male population.

Why buying a whole cow if you only want some milk? BTW, you're never too old.

A different body can always be a real pleasure. 

Edited by teacherclaire
  • Like 1

Here in my village in the north of Chiang Mai I live surrounded by humble, simple, affectionate people.  5 years married ... My wife is simply wonderful, she is young, caring about the home, thoughtful and kind.  It is very difficult to see her angry and she lives only for the care of me and her grandmother.  She works on line, does not drink alcohol and enjoys the simple things of the life.  Another different matter is what happens outside my home and my family life.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, HighPriority said:

I always tell her I don’t need 7, I only need 5.

1 each night, her and a night off... ????

????

Your a better man than me, my appetite is smaller than that, once a week, sometimes twice, but then again, I like those numbers, 5 different young fillies and one night with the Mrs and one night off for her, actually, I wouldn't need a night off if that's the way it works, so put me in for 6 ????

• Haha 1

Over these difficult times our community is always dropping some kind of food off,

last night lasagne, bacon, rice, shortbread,  & some funny looking stuff.

Up country at least no one would ever starve unless had very fussy tastes.

But yes, the Thai males on the roads are a different animal

34 minutes ago, PGSan said:

You walked straight into that one.  You are now so called! 

Never bashed a Thai in my life, guess there's always a first time, but not for me, I'm a lover, not a fighter, just ask the bar girls in Phuket and Pattaya, i.e. if they remember this hanhom man ????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DaLa said:

Absolutely agree, I can't think of another person on earth that's as generous as my Thai wife ....with my money.

being generous with someone else's money is indeed common, especially with ladies whether married one or not... thinking about it,  that might be part of  the original story as well...

22 hours ago, Lacessit said:

There’s a girl there, I’d say mid-twenties. Speaks excellent English, I think she has a farang boyfriend. She comes 100 km from Phayao to help out on the farm and the fruit stall.

I bought strawberries there a couple of days ago, and was quite astonished when for 80 baht, she also threw in a couple of melons and a bunch of longans for free.

Went back there today, and asked if there were still strawberries left for 80 baht. She apologized for only having small ones packed, but said there were also larger ones loose. I finished up getting double the amount of strawberries I bought the first time, and she threw in three avocados this time around. She refused extra payment above 80 baht, despite me offering 150 baht, saying it was a gift.

Sorry to strike a sour note, but the above anecdote is absolutely unheard of and never observed behavior in my experience in Thailand. Leaves me wondering who is ultimately financing all her generosity, and whether she's about to be fired.

Fruit - even locally grown produce - is a luxury item for many Thais, often purchased in sparing quantities in order to economize. The idea that a foreigner would be the beneficiary of such largess - especially in these hard times - leaves me further wondering whether there isn't a healthy measure of poetic exaggeration in your story telling.

In an effort to end on a more positive note, I can report that I often get free food when I take advantage of 'buy one - get one free' specials at Big C and Lotus.

• Haha 1

Although I personally have had some bad experiences with Thais, the vast majority of Thai People are warm and generous.

I have also experienced many good things from Thai People, and in return have showed my warmth and generosity in return

The odd Bunch of Bananas from the neighbour.

Help me get the pickup Truck out of a Hole 

Fix the Pick up - no charge

The family that lives in a Tin Shed by the Lake, I gave something to the young KIds and was asked to sit and eat food with them. They have next to nothing, but  are still prepared  to share with their Hearts.

Etc Etc Etc

Thais are more warm and generous than the people in my Home Country ever were.

Thats why I live here now

• Like 2

Generosity is not always about giving for free, but also making yourself available when it could be inconvenient, or working for 'expenses' and a beer.

I guess 'considerate' is perhaps another way of describing most Thai people I know in rural areas. While the usual village gossip and oneupmanship abounds there is generally a great family and community spirit in the area where I live. Rural Thailand is still in the phase where generations of families have been based in the same area for many many years. While there is surely always some friction as with any big 'family', the theme appears to be we are in this life together we will make the best of it

I would suggest a large percentage of experiences and interactions with Thai people, or indeed most people, is reflected back from your own outlook and demeanor, and never forget Thai people are well practiced at evaluating the reality behind your smile ????

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I don't think my GF's generosity would extend to a mia noi or gik, and I'm not inclined to put it to the test. Too old anyway.

Agreed. I'm old enough to know better than to risk what I can't afford to lose. 

Put another way, 'better' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Really, what I have is better than I deserve.

• Like 1

I have to agree with the OP and those who side with him. Most of the people (generally poor) we associate with in the villages are as the OP describes. Cannot relate all of the experiences because it has happened so often I now take it for granted and this is from people who do not know me. More good ones than bad ones.

3 hours ago, flossie35 said:

I have often been tempted to start some new arcane topic - eg a complaint about the price of haggis in Glasgow - to see how long it would take for someone to turn it into an anti-Thai rant. So refreshing to get an opposite view, which reflects my own experience. Driving round Chiang Mai on my motorbike I have even been impressed by the kindness and consideration of most drivers - those with ancient pickups and new fast motorbikes not necessarily included.

I have been waiting years for this opportunity! I was lucky enough to spend a new years' in deepest Isaan, in the middle of nowhere. The hosts provided an array of dishes ( my wife and I provided Xmas Pud with brandy sauce) including something which looked and tasted exactly like Haggis......but I never could find out the name in Thai, the recipe, or where to get it! Any ideas?

As an aside, much to the shock of all present, we insisted that the "kitchen staff" get first dobs at the Xmas PhD. They deserved it.

On 1/15/2021 at 11:21 AM, Lacessit said:

We seem to get a lot of negativity concerning Thais on Thai Visa. I’m posting this for an alternative point of view.

Not far from my GF’s village, on Highway 1, there is a fresh fruit stall, selling everything in season. Right now, it’s strawberry season.

There’s a girl there, I’d say mid-twenties. Speaks excellent English, I think she has a farang boyfriend. She comes 100 km from Phayao to help out on the farm and the fruit stall.

I bought strawberries there a couple of days ago, and was quite astonished when for 80 baht, she also threw in a couple of melons and a bunch of longans for free.

Went back there today, and asked if there were still strawberries left for 80 baht. She apologized for only having small ones packed, but said there were also larger ones loose. I finished up getting double the amount of strawberries I bought the first time, and she threw in three avocados this time around. She refused extra payment above 80 baht, despite me offering 150 baht, saying it was a gift.

It’s not the first time I’ve encountered the generosity of Thais. I can remember my mechanic in Chiang Rai working on a problem I had with the Vios for nearly an hour, then refusing any payment after fixing it.

I’ve only met one other TV poster in the flesh. He knows who he is. His GF, an Issan farm girl with one of the broadest smiles I have ever seen on a woman, brought along a beautifully cooked home made banana cake to our first meeting.

There’s a caddie at Gymkhana Golf Club in Chiang Mai who gives her time to keeping the accounts and organising the caddies for major events without payment. Her farang boyfriend says she is the kindest person he has ever known.

What are your stories of Thai generosity and kindness?

Sadly I can't think of one like that. I'm sure it happens...perhaps I've just met the graspers who ask for more than if I stay out of sight and let my wife do the buying! That said my wife's family,  also Issan through and through, who live a stone's throw from our house are poor, straight and honest and rarely ask for help but bring some edible delicacy or a bowl of noodles almost daily, although we don't need it. Back in the day I once overpaid a plumber ( wiser now!)....and as soon as they learned of this they had words with him and returned the overpayment to me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Sadly I can't think of one like that. I'm sure it happens...perhaps I've just met the graspers who ask for more than if I stay out of sight and let my wife do the buying! That said my wife's family,  also Issan through and through, who live a stone's throw from our house are poor, straight and honest and rarely ask for help but bring some edible delicacy or a bowl of noodles almost daily, although we don't need it. Back in the day I once overpaid a plumber ( wiser now!)....and as soon as they learned of this they had words with him and returned the overpayment to me.

I have encountered that too. My usual response is to say nothing, and never go back.

My GF is also a reality check, she does not hesitate to speak up when she thinks something is too expensive.

I've found most Thais to be honest. Perhaps dishonesty only kicks in further up the food chain.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2021 at 3:19 PM, Lacessit said:

I'll exclude Thai driving as an example, because they are among the world's most incompetent. No argument.

While there's debate about the various meanings of a Thai smile, IME one of the pleasures of living here is getting a smile from random strangers just because they feel like it.

I can't agree with your statement Thais are hard on each other. My GF is forever helping out at events in the village, not money but her time. When there's a death, all the neighbors band together to cook food for the mourners. Her daughter drives to the village on the weekends with food for the household, including cakes for me. I'm damn sure her income is way less than mine.

For funerals there is usually a village fund in to which every family pays so that with a death there is money available to the bereaved to put on a decent 3 day funeral and party if they can't afford it. I was baffled as to how these bereaved with little money paid for these festivities and  donate to the temple for the cremation. My wife explained. I won't go in to the other fund raising "activities" that go on AT these funeral parties in the sticks.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

For funerals there is usually a village fund in to which every family pays so that with a death there is money available to the bereaved to put on a decent 3 day funeral and party if they can't afford it. I was baffled as to how these bereaved with little money paid for these festivities and  donate to the temple for the cremation. My wife explained. I won't go in to the other fund raising "activities" that go on AT these funeral parties in the sticks.

Same in my GF's village.

7 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Your a better man than me, my appetite is smaller than that, once a week, sometimes twice, but then again, I like those numbers, 5 different young fillies and one night with the Mrs and one night off for her, actually, I wouldn't need a night off if that's the way it works, so put me in for 6 ????

How would you feel if your wife had 5 or 6 guys banging her during the week?

I assume you're only joking or exaggerating, about your exploits to look cool 

on the internet, but I've often wondered how the many lotharios who post about

their various concubines would feel if the shoe was on the other foot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, shy coconut said:

How would you feel if your wife had 5 or 6 guys banging her during the week?

I assume you're only joking or exaggerating, about your exploits to look cool 

on the internet, but I've often wondered how the many lotharios who post about

their various concubines would feel if the shoe was on the other foot.

I do not suffer from denialism, I live in an empirically verifiable reality.

Why should you care how I would feel if the shoe was on the other foot, it's a two way street, what's good for the goose, is good for the gander, so to answer your question if the wife wanted to have sex with 5-6 guys a week, then up to her, as long as there is some room in there for me, all and good, I sometimes wonder why people just don't get banter.  

Have a good one ????

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

On 1/15/2021 at 8:26 PM, 4MyEgo said:

Been here 5 years, can't say I have ever encountered Thai's being generous, however I wouldn't expect them to be as I am better off than most in my wife's village.

I always tell the boss to give cloths that we don't need and to buy the old neighbour something to eat when she goes to the market.

My personal experience with Thai's, (not a Thai basher), to be all for themselves, and hard on each other, only offering help at the last minute to others if ever, like I said, this is my personal experience. An example would be that I went to reverse in a parking spot at the school my daughter goes to and out of nowhere this guy drives straight into the spot and walks off with his kid, real nice, everyone could see from the clear daylight that I was about to reverse into the spot, I didn't get angry, I expect the unexpected in Thailand, if it were in the old country, someone would have more than likely keyed his car, not me, duck and weaving throughout life is my moto, karma.

They are accommodating when being served, although most hardly smile, will wai, but might smile when I wai and speak the limited Thai that I know.

I could start mentioning about the ones that will try and take an arm and a leg, but won't because I don't want to be called a Thai basher.

Thai people change there colors when driving on the roads . I can not say 100 percent of Thai drivers , but after being here six years I say with confidence the majority fall in that category . 

On 1/15/2021 at 8:26 PM, 4MyEgo said:

My personal experience with Thai's, (not a Thai basher), to be all for themselves, and hard on each other, only offering help at the last minute to others if ever, like I said, this is my personal experience.

Your personal experience seems to be the opposite of mine and most of the other posts. 

Do you have any Thai mates?