The generosity of Thais.

Lacessit

22 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

Your personal experience seems to be the opposite of mine and most of the other posts. 

Do you have any Thai mates? 

Of course they are opposite.

I wouldn't call them mates, wives of expat friends, and one Thai male who I have had drinks with whenever I see him, very well educated, and I could say this, you would probably call him a Thai basher, why because he gives his views on Thai's as he sees and understands them as a Thai, my wife has also given me her views on Thai's as she is also Thai.

The Thai guy had studied and also lived overseas for a while, my wife lived in with me for 9 years overseas and both have said, that if they didn't leave Thailand, they wouldn't see their own for what they are, now that's a big statement, i.e. accepting it for what it is.

I know and am aware of the saying that you can't judge everyone based on the experiences of a few alone, I also don't speak the lingo, but I can say that I do judge the ones I see based on their actions, no doubt there are rotten apples in every culture, but regardless of what you think, I believe Thai's (not all) to be racist in my opinion, you just won't hear them say it to your face, like you won't here any other cultures say that they are racist as well, now this could be through lack of education, I don't know, but I do also sense the racism here at times, call me paranoid if you like.

No issues with Thai's, enjoy living here, but I do call a spade a spade, and am respectful, however blind to what goes on around me, I am not, and that is not to say that Thai's are not generous, I just haven't had that generosity shown to me yet, that's all.

Edited by 4MyEgo

On 1/15/2021 at 5:42 AM, HighPriority said:

I’m in Oz, with my wife of 3 years, she’s been here for 18 months.

She tells me every week that when she wins lotto she will get lights put up on our rural road and buy me 7 (!!!) Mia noi.

I have no doubts about Thais generosity of spirt... ????

Will she also get mia noi for your bestfriend, me? 555  

• Haha 1

Ran out if fuel in new car (showed 70 km until empty) asked at welding shop about getting fuel.. they went hot fuek and put

in tank.. wouldn’t accept small token of money for their kindness..

Could write a msny stories the kindness of Thai .. I’ve lived here 

in NE 5 years this month and met many people who were kind as 

we all should try to be.... it’s a good place to retire ou here innthe sticks,...

• Like 1

And yes it seems some (Thai bathers) are wound tight and probably something set them off... like customers they’ll 

always remember that one issue and forget about all the 

good ones... 

or maybe their just grouchy by nature..

• Like 2

3 hours ago, elgenon said:

Will she also get mia noi for your bestfriend, me? 555  

As you well know, they can and will find a gf/wife for even the ugliest farang... sourcing Mia noi I’m not so sure off, but I’ll ask

????????

Edited by HighPriority
Edit

8 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Of course they are opposite.

I wouldn't call them mates, wives of expat friends, and one Thai male who I have had drinks with whenever I see him, very well educated, and I could say this, you would probably call him a Thai basher, why because he gives his views on Thai's as he sees and understands them as a Thai, my wife has also given me her views on Thai's as she is also Thai.

The Thai guy had studied and also lived overseas for a while, my wife lived in with me for 9 years overseas and both have said, that if they didn't leave Thailand, they wouldn't see their own for what they are, now that's a big statement, i.e. accepting it for what it is.

I know and am aware of the saying that you can't judge everyone based on the experiences of a few alone, I also don't speak the lingo, but I can say that I do judge the ones I see based on their actions, no doubt there are rotten apples in every culture, but regardless of what you think, I believe Thai's (not all) to be racist in my opinion, you just won't hear them say it to your face, like you won't here any other cultures say that they are racist as well, now this could be through lack of education, I don't know, but I do also sense the racism here at times, call me paranoid if you like.

No issues with Thai's, enjoy living here, but I do call a spade a spade, and am respectful, however blind to what goes on around me, I am not, and that is not to say that Thai's are not generous, I just haven't had that generosity shown to me yet, that's all.

Good post.

I would add there's probably a bit of jealously mixed in with the racism.  (all farang have big money)  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, HighPriority said:

As you well know, they can and will find a gf/wife for even the ugliest farang... sourcing Mia noi I’m not so sure off, but I’ll ask

????????

I appreciate your help. Please note I am not the ugliest farang. 555

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, sharksy said:

I believe generosity is often shown in order to either gain face or some kind of future karma.

You can see this most prominently at temples.

About the only people who truly expect absolutely nothing in return are happy drunks, everyone else is usually expecting some sort of later help, be it you, Buddha or some other deity...

On 1/20/2021 at 8:28 AM, HighPriority said:

About the only people who truly expect absolutely nothing in return are happy drunks, everyone else is usually expecting some sort of later help, be it you, Buddha or some other deity...

Absolutely the opposite of what I have experienced here in 29 years.  Where do you live?

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1

On 1/17/2021 at 7:50 PM, 4MyEgo said:

Someone who sees it for what it is ????

Yes.

Thailand, the land of smoke and mirrors, but if your follow the baht, you will go a long way to understanding Thai culture.  ????

• Like 1