Britain denies wanting to reduce workers' rights post-Brexit

snoop1130

Britain denies wanting to reduce workers' rights post-Brexit

2cec67081d9d92e009167af93127f839.jpg

FILE PHOTO: A person looks at the adverts in the window of a job agency in London, Britain October 13, 2020. REUTERS/Hannah McKay/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) - The British government said on Friday it had no plans to lower standards on workers’ rights, rejecting a Financial Times report that a shake-up of EU labour regulations as part of a post-Brexit overhaul was in the works.

The FT reported here on Thursday that the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy was proposing changes focused on ending the 48-hour working week, rules around rest breaks, and not including overtime pay when calculating some holiday pay entitlements, citing people familiar with the plans.

The measures were being prepared with Downing Street’s approval but have not yet been agreed by ministers or put to the cabinet, the FT said.

In response, business secretary Kwasi Kwarteng said the government wanted to build up workers’ rights.

“We want to protect and enhance workers’ rights going forward, not row back on them,” Kwarteng said in a tweet.

A government spokeswoman added: “We have absolutely no intention of lowering the standards of workers’ rights.”

“The UK has one of the best workers’ rights records in the world, and it is well known that the UK goes further than the EU in many areas. Leaving the EU allows us to continue to be a standard setter and protect and enhance UK workers’ rights.”

Prime Minister Boris Johnson says he wants to use Britain’s exit from the European Union and the end of what many in the ruling Conservative Party believe to be the bloc’s restrictive rules to benefit business growth.

The government is having discussions with businesses in a wide-range of sectors to try to gauge how to use what it calls its new freedoms from the EU to boost growth.

But many opposition lawmakers and trade unions fear the government will use its new freedom from EU rules and regulations to diminish rights rather than build on them.

Ed Miliband, the business policy chief for the opposition Labour Party, said the government’s priorities were “out of step with the needs of workers and their families”.

“These proposals are not about cutting red tape for businesses but ripping up vital rights for workers,” Miliband said in a statement.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-01-15

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

In a time where corporate greed is at an all time high, I strongly disagree with all of this. 

Nothing at all wrong with it, so long as you are the 'corporation'.   As my Nephew is fond of quoting, nothing wrong with a Dictatorship, so long as you are the Dictator or his family.  Told my kids when they were young, don't whinge about your rights, or get jealous of others in a higher position that you,  just work hard and become one of the bosses. I've seen too many 'workers', in the UK at least, who basically  sit on their asses most of the day,  wanting more and more for less and less.   

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

8 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Totally wrong for society.

As Margaret Thatcher once  famously said,  'there is no such thing as 'society'.  Covid has shown this to be manifestly true, almost Worldwide, but certainly in the UK, where breaking the rules put in place to protect  this mythical idea of 'society', are being broken by thousands if not millions. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The British government said on Friday it had no plans to lower standards on workers’ rights, rejecting a Financial Times report that a shake-up of EU labour regulations as part of a post-Brexit overhaul was in the works.

Yeah, right, sure...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

It’s one thing to support abuse of working people, it’s quite something else to instill such beliefs in one’s children.

Your views on how working people spend their day are common amongst people who don’t themselves work.

hold on, who said anything about abusing others? Presumably, unless someone is independently wealthy, we were , or are still,  all 'working people', its just must better to be the boss of others and not in the general  herd.   Not a bad lesson for them to learn. 

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

The laws on discrimination and all the HASW legislation, while not workers right per see, have been a good thing.  The ones I most agree with are the minimum wage, the right to collective bargaining, the right to opt out of a closed shop and not join a Union ( excellent that one),  the right to have a proper job description and a formal contract of employment, the rest, not so much. 

And if, as you suggest, Employment Tribunals are abolish, where will your nephew go for redress if these rights you agree with are abused?

[I here accept your own children will have followed your advice and become bosees].

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, blazes said:

I was once in a pub in Cheriton, Hampshire, deep in John Arlott country, where everyone spoke with that deep burr of 'Ampshire.

A guy walks in and obviously knew the locals having their beer.  He calls out to the pub: "I almost 'ad a 'eart attack today."

"Oh, why?"

"I wuz on me bike when I came across a bunch of council workers, and they were WORKING!!"

I was a council sweeper ,  i had all the qualifications , failed six O levels .

However that said ,  i knew the mechanical advantage of a brush n shovel.

I  phoned our gaffer up , @ midday  start of shift .told him , our brushes have 

have been nicked ..

We were then instructed to lean against each other .  Elf n safety ..

• Haha 2