Thailand Sold Itself as a Paradise Covid Retreat. No One Came

rooster59

Great to wake up this morning in Bangkok and I cannot see far due to the thick smog. Luckily only burned wood smoke.

When this theater started, I figured this would last until October 2020 max, but now I think this will last until end of 2021, so no tourists, and no recovery. They really need to change the ASQ model if they still want tourists, wealthy tourists.

Unfortunately I have to travel back to Europe due to a family reasons, meaning I have to come back to Thailand in a few months for my THIRD ASQ round. I'm really fed up with it. My tip if you select an ASQ: Take one out of town and with a balcony, feels much better than a closed room I had e.g. at Sukhumvit Belaire, which was a cheap rip-off in a horrible room at a time there was no availability for ASQ rooms.

• Thanks 1

I am surprised anyone came on a STV (including myself). The hoops to jump through and constantly changing demands from the Thai Embassy would put anyone off. Plus the fact that no one would ever answer telephone calls at the embassy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Check out airfares as well. They have tripled,quadrupled or more for economy class seating, because tourists can't be crammed into aircraft like sardines anymore. Tourists are now better off spending their tourist cash at home.

Qantas has floated the concept no-one can get on their aircraft unless they have been vaccinated, how long before other airlines have the same requirement? And how long before every potential tourist is vaccinated?

I disagree for the European routes, when I look for flights from the Nordic to Thailand, the prices are a little down with Qatar and Lufthansa, the same price level as before pre-covid for Finnair. I guess with Thai airways, the fares could be astronomical, but, hey, who uses Thai airways? Only Thai people I guess, and since Thais do not check for Covid before the flight, as we others do, I would not board the flight anyway, too much trouble if I get that virus and I'm in ASQ.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Get it through your heads, NOBODY wants to sit in a quarantine hotel for two weeks!

Standard narrow minded response.

Wouldn't cross your mind that many countries have made it difficult for their citizens to leave the country.

My mate doesn't have a problem with quarantine, more with restrictions and FCO travel advice.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Andrew65 said:

I wonder if when countries do start to open up, vaccination might be a condition of travel?

Requirement has been been confirmed by CEO of Qantas, they will not be the only international carrier with the policy. How long the policy will be in-place isn't currently known

1 hour ago, mfd101 said:

What they seem not to understand, or want to confront, is that there's a pretty good chance that the tourist industry here - and perhaps everywhere - will NEVER return to what it was. Covid & its successors are likely to reduce international travel permanently, and not just for tourism.

What a half-competent government would have been doing for the last several months is considering seriously their policy options for rebuilding the Thai economy based on manufacturing and digital capabilities. But No No, that would involve change, energy and education for the masses. No can.

I disagree. The population of the planet is growing and there will be even more tourists in the future. Covid 19 won't last forever. However, if Covid 21 or 22 come then all bets are off.

• Like 2

I think the STV scheme was a reasonable idea, but the timing was unfortunate with the 2nd wave taking off and increasing travel restrictions in many parts of the world.

Relaxing the strict 2 week quarantine was never an option politically given the Thai public’s views and if relaxing the quarantine had led to a bigger second wave in Thailand than the one we are seeing now, tourists wouldn’t come anyway - catch 22.

3 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Speaking of the Elite visa whos cost was just raised

And the new 300 baht fee

And the long long long long list of visa tightenings over the last 10 years

And the stupid worthless new visas like the O-X

And the refusal to lower the baht

And changing visa rules constantly

And all the Covid madness rules to get into the country.....When countries like Mexico has none...

I would say this is a organized and well thought out plan that has been in the works for at least 10 years to kill tourist in Thailand....Possibly permanently....

Foreign exchange markets are much bigger than any single country. Thailand cannot realistically control it's exchange rate. This was proved in 1997 when the Thai government wasted billions in support of the Baht. It still crashed.

Same thing happened in 1993 with Sterling when it left the ERM.

Those people that complain that the Baht is too strong (very self-serving) are wrong. If that was true, the markets would be selling Baht which would push the Baht lower.

Though, according to the Economist's Big Mac Index, the Baht is overvalued compared to the US dollar by 28.58%. But, this index is very informal and only applies to comparative prices of a Big Mac in the US and Thailand.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Wouldn't cross your mind that many countries have made it difficult for their citizens to leave the country.

My mate doesn't have a problem with quarantine, more with restrictions and FCO travel advice.

Is this a many countries forum???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Give your mate my best regards!

• Like 1

I'll add to the proposals tabled by suggesting they add another 300 Baht to tourists to sell a sense of welcome and business acumen. The comment above mind hits the nail right on the head - quarantine which is a racket in both legs of the journey. Where's the golf course?

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Christie Paul said:

My friend traveled from UK to Cancun, Mexico a few days ago.

It all went smoothly, no certificates, no quarantine and they have moved into a lovely place for a very reasonable cost.

I understand they got a 180 day no hassle visa.

Mexico - 1.6 million covid cases. 139,000 deaths.

Your friend have a fascination for the Dia de los Muertos? 

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1