Thailand Sold Itself as a Paradise Covid Retreat. No One Came

rooster59

1 hour ago, Aarin said:

Problem is if you for example to Phuket they will again put their prices up on a par with UK which they already are. Vietnam is going to give Thailand a big wake a call. They make it easier for visa and cheaper. They are also far more Foreigner friendly. 

Yes Vietnam is much more foreigner friendly..why don't you just go there then? Oh right no foreigners can atm ...maybe not so foreigner friendly then.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

3 minutes ago, Bateslaw said:

To jump through the hoops to then be quarantined is not worth it to single guys that have money and choices. Thailand is not the only place that has bars and women anymore. And a quarantine is out of the question. I know a lot of old retired expats are afraid of the virus and think Thailand is great. But the reality is the thai people that rely on tourists and retirees money have been screwed by their government. 

Ok tell me the foreign countries you can currently travel to as a single bloke that had bars and girls and no quarantine. 

2 hours ago, PatOngo said:

You are not a tourist on a 3 week holiday!

The article isn't about tourists <deleted> ..do you people read? Retirees and people willing to stay for long periods jaysus christ

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, starky said:

Ok tell me the foreign countries you can currently travel to as a single bloke that had bars and girls and no quarantine. 

There are several places like that, but NONE like Thailand.  And, considering how things are changing, who knows tomorrow!

South Africa just announced a ban on booze.  I've got friends there now, staying in the winery area, and are super bummed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

So the resorts and tourist areas are thriving, the retirees have taken up the slack, Starks, or did I miss something??

Im responding to the op as written. Don't know what your responding to. The article clearly states by the long stay travel company that Thailand was trying to lure retirees and long stay visitors. If you don't fit that description then no 2 weeks of quarantine probably won't suit you. The moot point was this article was talking about exclusive villas on phuket whilst most of the cheap Charlie's on this thread are barking over paying 35k for quarantine. Thats where the government miscalculated. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, starky said:

Im responding to the op as written. Don't know what your responding to. The article clearly states by the long stay travel company that Thailand was trying to lure retirees and long stay visitors. If you don't fit that description then no 2 weeks of quarantine probably won't suit you. The moot point was this article was talking about exclusive villas on phuket whilst most of the cheap Charlie's on this thread are barking over paying 35k for quarantine. Thats where the government miscalculated. 

It's about trying to stimulate the economy that has been devastated because of the large dependents on the tourist industry!

Edited by PatOngo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

while also protecting citizens from Covid-19 before vaccines become widely available.

Well, these mRNA vaccines have different objectives than eg. a polio vaccine, 

that Bloomberg remark doesn’t really reflect for what AstraZeneca and Pfizer were testing in their trials - check the „Endpoints“:

A1B91C47-E901-4C04-A122-DC02D3322236.thumb.jpeg.30e09766a02a8ee8043f4f6a1ef06530.jpeg

If the person to person spread is not tested, how can it protect your citizens against infection ?

Edited by BernieOnTour
  • Like 1

Maybe, just maybe they should consider opening flights to those with negative Covid test in their own countries and negative upon arrival. 
This is where it gets fun. How about offering Covid vaccination to those people who have not or can not get a vaccine shot yet at home. “A medical holiday” . Is not this one of the market segments the government likes and wants? It kills two birds with one stone by drawing in holiday travelers to enjoy the country and get vaccinated at the same time. Hmmm!
Quarantine needs to be scrapped...agreed,  however tracking may be more easily embraced for all entering the kingdom and would further support the second shot requirements ( if required by vaccine mfg) 

This thought is just quick “off the cuff” however with some real creative thinking and innovative marketing, something to this end may be viable. Just saying.

Edited by Jud Canada
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, shackleton said:

Well there will be less Tourist coming now with Pattaya ect in lockdown

With the extra cost involved flights Quarantine  and nothing open

Whats there to see

Big C and Foodland are not closed the tourist can go there....

I would fancy staying at the villas for 2 weeks if i was doing quarantine. I actually asked a friend who was coming back after a month in the UK why he did not do it. He said that you are not allowed to transfer you have to stay in the area you arrive. So not possible to fly to BKK and then to Phuket (understandably). So to stay in the villas you would need to fly direcrly into Phuket where i presume there are very limited arrivals from abroad currently. No suprise it did not work if thats the case.

• Thanks 1