Thailand Sold Itself as a Paradise Covid Retreat. No One Came

rooster59

Post removed in accordance with forum rules.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

• Like 1

Thailand should think about the problems with other country's around the world . With what Covid has done to peoples financial and business problems . Other countries have travel problems as well . When Covid is no longer a danger then open the borders again as they were before or make it much easier for tourist to come back here. 

long stay people should be able to come back if they have wife property's etc., if they can afford the quarantine and have all the requirements needed . 

11 minutes ago, BernieOnTour said:

Add in to that: the biggest travel wave in Europe is in the summer holidays - at that time, Thailand was still discussing „bubbles“ for Chinese tourists 555

And Europe is doing very well at the moment??

And they only have to thank themselves for the big mess they're in.

1 minute ago, charmonman said:

I wouldn’t say nobody. I am doing it right now and there are plenty of others in my ASQ. More correct to say nobody coming on a short holiday, but there is more than a trickle of long term stayers.

How's the food?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Check out airfares as well. They have tripled,quadrupled or more for economy class seating, because tourists can't be crammed into aircraft like sardines anymore. Tourists are now better off spending their tourist cash at home.

Qantas has floated the concept no-one can get on their aircraft unless they have been vaccinated, how long before other airlines have the same requirement? And how long before every potential tourist is vaccinated?

Certainly the airfares to go back to Australia are outrageous,  but from Europe to Thailand in many cases the prices are very reasonable, in some cases cheaper than pre-Covid.

I flew back a few days ago with Qatar from Istanbul to Bangkok with Qantas FF points,  I think it comes at around $400-450 one way in equivalent of taxes plus frequent flyer points. Both legs of the journey had a row of four seats for me, as everyone else around.

Thailand will go the easy fix on this one and open up to China when they want to which will instantly fill the coughers of the tourist islands.

It just goes to show us what the Thais think of these tourist areas frequented by farangs. They are certainly not flocking to the islands to capitalize on cheap accommodation...the Chinese will!

I think one major thing they fail to realise, is that anyone wealthy enough to "wait out covid" in a 5 star Thai hotel without having to worry about work, is almost certainly living in a big house in a nice area, probably suburbs or countryside, with access to private medical services so covid and its associated inconveniences aren't actually that big a deal.

Someone going stir crazy in a small apartment isn't going to be able to afford a 6 month holiday in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Christie Paul said:

My friend traveled from UK to Cancun, Mexico a few days ago.

It all went smoothly, no certificates, no quarantine and they have moved into a lovely place for a very reasonable cost.

I understand they got a 180 day no hassle visa.

I hope they have a lovely time; the problems will start when they want to re-nter the UK !

4 minutes ago, XJPSX said:

Thailand will go the easy fix on this one and open up to China when they want to which will instantly fill the coughers of the tourist islands.

It just goes to show us what the Thais think of these tourist areas frequented by farangs. They are certainly not flocking to the islands to capitalize on cheap accommodation...the Chinese will!

That is when China allows its citizens out of the country again as they are not allowed to go anywhere at the moment.

• Thanks 1

NEWSFLASH  !!!!    LATEST TOURIST VISA SCHEME ANNOUNCED TODAY !!!

For all those not wishing to be held  secluded in a room for two weeks ,  a committee of 24 ministers have teamed up with the Hard Rock Corporation to offer a truly Unique and Amazing alternative.

It will be announced World Wide under the catchy name   "  Rock on Thailand "  and have publicity ads such as  " Don't sit ,  Get fit "  in one of our Rock Solid Centers .

First 200 to sign up will get a FREE   mental health examination .

.  Breaking it Down | The Rogue Verbumancer

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Confined to two weeks inside a hotel and they think that's a luxury holiday... seriously deluded.

Well if you have your own pool and courtyard in a private villa it's better than quarantine in 95% of the rest of the world.

38 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

How's the food?

Was awesome for me but then again I stayed in 5 star accommodation had a menu tailored to my specifications and had the head chef checking in every couple of days to make sure the food was as expected. You would be second only to ThailandRyan as the most negative poster on this whole forum imo.

Edited by starky
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

The high end resort option was never going to work.

however if you had got "stuck" overseas on a work roster or needed to get back to "home"

& families the ordinary hotels are available & appear to offer a quarantine solution.

I know of 6 guys that have done it with no complaints

29 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

I think one major thing they fail to realise, is that anyone wealthy enough to "wait out covid" in a 5 star Thai hotel without having to worry about work, is almost certainly living in a big house in a nice area, probably suburbs or countryside, with access to private medical services so covid and its associated inconveniences aren't actually that big a deal.

Someone going stir crazy in a small apartment isn't going to be able to afford a 6 month holiday in Thailand.

Bingo.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, starky said:

Was awesome for me but then again I stayed in 5 star accommodation had a menu tailored to my specifications and had the head chef checking in every couple of days to make sure the food was as expected. You would be second only to ThailandRyan as the most negative poster on this whole forum imo.

You are pretty popular yourself! :thumbsup: Hiso also, so it seems! :jap:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1