PM promises "Fast - Safe - Transparent - Comprehensive" vaccine program - no mention of foreigners.

rooster59

1 hour ago, robblok said:

My point was if you pay into the system have a right to Thai healthcare it should be free.

Most Thais I know never paid any income tax and very little vat ( not counting

alcohol and smokes)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, robblok said:

Yes but they also make a couple of 100% off medicine always have always will.

I think I am right in saying that in the UK the drug companies are not producing for profit. The price will be covering the cost of production only. I stand to be corrected if wrong.

2 hours ago, robblok said:

That is true, but it never said anything about cost. Why not make it mandatory and let the foreigners who don't work and pay thai wages tax pay for their own vaccination.

Your right that from an outbreak point of view its better, but paying for it is a different story.

I just feel that only people who pay into a system are entitled to benefits from it. People like me who chose to live somewhere else can be expected to pay for it if they are not paying into the system (vat does not count).

Rob I agree with you in most instances that people who pay into the system should receive. But this is different. In order to move forward and rid ourselves of this pox all people have to be vaccinated, whatever there nationality, in national vaccination programs. 

Last thing anyone wants is for people to not get vaccinated for whatever reason, cost, unequal access to timely healthcare, fear, visa status etc. and they contract it and it mutates and the new strain is resistant to the vaccine and it spreads in the general population again. The economic cost of the lockdowns and distribution to businesses in Thailand is many orders of magnitude greater than the cost of vaccinating every single man, woman and child in Thailand. Vaccinating everyone cheaply is the most economical way forward. How much has the government spent supporting business with its cash handouts, 50:50 co payment schemes etc over the past 12 months . Compare that with the vaccination costs for everyone in Thailand. 

Edited by jonclark
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, robblok said:

So what.. why do you expect the Thai government to take care of you. You are not Thai. I don't mind paying a private hospital. Also GF her company is looking into getting the vaccine themselves they are a medical company. I don't see the problem of governments not taking care of non Thais. 

We made choices when we came here.. why expect a government to take care of us. If you want that then go back to your home country. There you are being taken care of have more rights.

I take care of myself and leave it at that.

The liberal use of "we", "us" and "you", is best replaced with "I", "me" or "my". 

If I suggest someone should go back to their country,  then perhaps I should be prepared to pay the airfare.

If I have to pay for a vaccine, then fine ... not a big drama really. This gives me choice and control over which vaccine, when and the environment it will be administered in. All I know is I'm not taking the Chinese one. Personally, I'm thinking the Johnson & Johnson one might be the way to go if it gets final approval at the end of stage 3 trials as it's only one jab and it's effectiveness is rumoured to be very good/promising. By the time they get round to making everyone have a vaccine, then there will be a fair few to choose from and much more known about the pros/cons of each. Until then, I'll be keeping fit, wearing a mask and taking zinc+vit c+echinacea+vitamin D every day.

Edited by Sir Dude

Curious if anyone has heard about when the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines will be approved by the Thai FDA? Seems when that occurs the private hospitals will be able to afford to buy and upcharge for them to anyone who can afford to pay. Sinovac has big questions in terms of efficacy and A/Z seems to be less effective than the two mentioned above.  Anyone have an inside scoop?

5 hours ago, keith101 said:

We will be the last to be vaccinated unless we get it through private hospitals paying through the nose for it and that way the Government doesn't have to consider buying vaccines for us dirty farang as Anutin called us .

Only one post in before "dirty farang'was quoted? This was said quite awhile ago by Antin and has been quoted thousands of times on TVF.  Maybe time for posters on this site to come up with a little more original material. 

5 hours ago, robblok said:

So what.. why do you expect the Thai government to take care of you. You are not Thai. I don't mind paying a private hospital. Also GF her company is looking into getting the vaccine themselves they are a medical company. I don't see the problem of governments not taking care of non Thais. 

We made choices when we came here.. why expect a government to take care of us. If you want that then go back to your home country. There you are being taken care of have more rights.

I thought that buying a 99 bht breakfast every day entitled me to full social benefits ????

My doctor says that a vaccine will be available at Bumrungrad in April or May.  I don’t know which it will be but I’ll be first in line.  The priority is to get some level of protection as soon as possible.

5 hours ago, robblok said:

A very blinkered outlook you have. The silver spoon must still have a brilliant shine to it.

5 hours ago, keith101 said:

We will be the last to be vaccinated unless we get it through private hospitals paying through the nose for it and that way the Government doesn't have to consider buying vaccines for us dirty farang as Anutin called us .

..i contacted AETNA Health Insurance (Chiang Mai) two weeks ago; they assured me they would be accessing the programme for their insured here..no other details available as yet as to cost, certification, locations etc. They may have been lying too!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

Weren't they supposed to be producing this vaccine in Thailand?

They were going to be allowed to make the vaccine If they bought first a big Batch of vaccine . they didn't say How big of a batch that had to be.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chassa said:

Most Thais I know never paid any income tax and very little vat ( not counting

alcohol and smokes)

But they are Thai and its their country only normal that the government takes care of their own. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tonypandy said:

But Thais living and working in the UK will get the vaccine for Free

Take it up with your goverment it does not entitle you at all. Though i feel foreigners that work here pay into the system should get it for free. Not people who are retired here or stuff like that. Just people working and paying into it.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, robblok said:

If you have been paying in the Thai social security fund then great is think you should get it. 100% agree with you. I was talking about those of us that only pay vat here.

As for what happens in the UK does not matter at all about what happens here. I mean go back to the UK if you want that treatment. Why would Thailand have to do the same as the UK. Maybe the UK should do the same as Thailand. I mean I don't really see the connection. You choose to live in Thailand so accept how they treat foreigners. Forget about the UK unless you want to live there. 

I know my country is also really liberal, but that does not make me feel entitled to things here in Thailand. But you IMHO are entitled as you paid into social security. 

Thailand Government would excel themselves if they offered the vaccines  to what ever the persons  nationality or type of visa and no visa at all for that .

Not possible to make a decision on how they will distribute the vaccines from the article . Best to relax and see what develops in the next month or so .

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

Thai prime minister Prayuth Chan-ocha has urged the health authorities to conduct a fast Covid-19 vaccine rollout. 

Yet health minister Anutin Charnvirakul admitted one of the vaccines won't arrive in Thailand until JUNE. 

There was also no mention of the word "foreigners" in the Daily News report - just Thai people. 

Why would these dirty foreigners need anything that was created by other foreigners? 

Can't you smell the smell? BTW, I do not even want their vaccine. 

He did mention that over 60,s would have priority, then the over 60s should be very weary as 13 old people have died after being given the Pfizer vaccine so far. 

However, officials are down playing the deaths, and blaming it on the elderly for having health issues before they were vaccinated. 

Sorry thing is, they never tested the vaccine on the elderly. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, robblok said:

Dear Thai Apologist

As far as I aware, the vaccine will be available in my native UK to everyone. That is a totally alien concept in Thailand. The UK government takes care of people, the Thai government takes care of Thais.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Elreeco said:

Vaccine Questions: - Will we be able to stop wearing the mask? NO - Will bars, restaurants, gyms, discos etc. work normally? NO - Will we be immune to Covid? We still don't know exactly - Will we no longer be contagious? We still don't know exactly - Would the schools restart normally? NO - Will we be able to stop social distancing? NO - Will we be able to stop sanitizing our hands every 5 minutes? NO - Will we be able to hug and kiss our grandparents again? NO - Will cinemas, theaters and stadiums reopen? NO - Will we be able to assemble? NO - Will there be no more lockdowns?

how can you answer yes or now right now?

1/Do you think that USA, UK, other rich countries will pay for foreigner staying in their country? mmmhhh? example there is 1 thai chief very sick. He has not enough money for heal. American hospitals don't accet him. So , thai people created a chain on facebook to help him. Now they receive 8000.000 thb ! 

2/ what will happen with theese different vaccines? yesterday we read that with pfizer vaccine in Norway 13 people died  and 10 severe cases  for people up to 80years old...In France , just starting : 1 dead and 6 severe cases...will we know about USA , UK and Germany who are intimately concerned?.....Some countries will make any reserch about the future of this  rna hooked to our cells?

wait and see but...........

12 minutes ago, robblok said:

Take it up with your goverment it does not entitle you at all. Though i feel foreigners that work here pay into the system should get it for free. Not people who are retired here or stuff like that. Just people working and paying into it.

I sort of understand where you are coming from Rob, however you are taking a rather simplistic approach to the availability criteria you propose.

I don’t pay income tax here, I’m here on a retired basis. However including the business I have built for my Thai wife, vehicles, land, import duty, and all the diesel I’ve bought for my vehicles I’m just around the 8 Million baht mark in contributions (various taxes).

• Like 1