UK's Johnson takes stand against 'cruel' Japanese whaling: The Telegraph

rooster59

UK's Johnson takes stand against 'cruel' Japanese whaling: The Telegraph

2021-01-15T205251Z_1_LYNXMPEH0E1IJ_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-BRITAIN.JPG

FILE PHOTO: British Prime Minister Boris Johnson gestures at a media briefing on the coronavirus pandemic in Downing Street, London, Britain January 15, 2021. Dominic Lipinski/PA Wire/Pool via REUTERS/File Photo

(Reuters) - British Prime Minister Boris Johnson is taking a stand against "cruel" Japanese whaling, The Telegraph newspaper said on Friday, after a minke whale became caught in fishing nets for 19 days before being killed by fishermen this week.

Drone footage of the trapped whale in the port of Taiji captured the world's attention and received flak from animal rights activists and environmentalists across the world.

"At a time when we are already seeing the tragic and irreversible destruction of our natural world, with the sea increasingly pumped full of plastics and climate change threatening entire ecosystems, it is more important than ever to take a stand against the cruel practice of whaling," Johnson told the newspaper.

The Foreign Office is also raising the issue with counterparts in Japan, the report added.

A Japanese fleet caught whales in 2019 in the country's first commercial hunt in more than three decades, a move that aroused global condemnation.

Taiji is known for its annual dolphin hunt.

(Reporting by Aishwarya Nair in Bengaluru; Editing by Nick Macfie)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-01-16

• Haha 1

Agree with Boris on this one, even if it is just a side diversion.

i am sure that will go down well when he is negotiating the new trade agreement with Japan. 

The Brits also recently were complaining about the coconut monkeys. About a month ago I was looking at some land and we heard moaning and a hand raised in the grass. 

A 21 year old Thai bloke had been picking coconuts on the unoccupied land and fell. He had been there for a few hours already and was covered in ants already. If we hadn’t of decided to take a look at the land, nobody would have found him and he would have died, as the owner of the land doesnt live there.
Broke his back, ruined his life. 

At least the monkey was ok.

FF2943DF-49C9-4A31-AD06-F5351BF100C7.jpeg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

Agree with Boris on this one, even if it is just a side diversion.

i am sure that will go down well when he is negotiating the new trade agreement with Japan. 

The Brits also recently were complaining about the coconut monkeys. About a month ago I was looking at some land and we heard moaning and a hand raised in the grass. 

A 21 year old Thai bloke had been picking coconuts on the unoccupied land and fell. He had been there for a few hours already and was covered in ants already. If we hadn’t of decided to take a look at the land, nobody would have found him and he would have died, as the owner of the land doesnt live there.
Broke his back, ruined his life. 

At least the monkey was ok.

FF2943DF-49C9-4A31-AD06-F5351BF100C7.jpeg

Johnson may be doing the Japanese a favor. Whaling is not even a viable commercial enterprise in Japan.

"The Japanese government subsidises whaling to the tune of nearly US$10 million per year."
https://au.whales.org/our-4-goals/stop-whaling/whaling-in-japan/#:~:text=As a result high subsidies,US%2410 million per year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spiekerjozef said:

Yes whaling is on everyone's mind at the moment...

10 minutes ago, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

Yeah, he has nothing else to do, right?

So? Besides covid and the economy there are other important issues as well.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dexterm said:

Hear hear, Boris.  I can agree with you on something.

Absolutely barbaric Japanese custom.

And that goes for Norway, Iceland, Peru, South Korea, Russia and Faroe Islands too who still needlessly hunt these intelligent and sentient mammals.

They can't be that intelligent if they keep getting caught in fishing nets. And doubt they are any more sentient than cows, pigs or other animals you are happy to eat....which are farmed and killed in horrific conditions. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Perhaps a little attention to the homeless, hungry school children in some areas, the lack of safe hostels for women suffering from domestic violence, the unprovoked stabbings, the amount of time required before a case comes before court ( can be two or more years) the disability ratings system disaster, the reductions in both the police force and the NHS, oh and the cruelty to whales.

• Like 1

There's a sidestory to this. The amazing Sea Shepherd ships did a great job for more than a decade under the command of Greenpeace founder Paul Watson; he was kicked out of Greenpeace for being too radical. Since then, Sea Shepherds have been harassing the Japanese whaling fleet & preventing them from catching whales. (In downtime, Sea Shepherds sink whaling ships.)

In 2018, Japan launched satellites enabling the whalers to stay well away from Sea Shepherd. Whale meat tastes disgusting, even to the Japanese. They think themselves a higher species than sea mammals. They, and other whaling nations, need to be forced.

If warm-blooded apes & lions & tigers (& bears) can catch Covid from us, it follows cetaceans can, too. This issue is important.

For once, forget the humans. We've doomed our species anyway. Maybe whales can survive us despite turning the oceans into garbage dumps.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

They can't be that intelligent if they keep getting caught in fishing nets. And doubt they are any more sentient than cows, pigs or other animals you are happy to eat....which are farmed and killed in horrific conditions. 

So would you torture to a slow death sentient mammals such as yours or your neighbor's dog, cat or horse? Speaks volumes about you if that's what you turn a blind eye to. Turn yourself in to the nearest FBI psychopath profiling unit.

Cows, sheep and pigs are killed humanely where I live, for those who want to eat them. It's forbidden to kill whales or dolphins, unlike the Japanese.

Try being a vegetarian. Seriously think about it;  you'll live much longer than Japanese whales (71 years in case you wondered).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Perhaps a little attention to the homeless, hungry school children in some areas, the lack of safe hostels for women suffering from domestic violence, the unprovoked stabbings, the amount of time required before a case comes before court ( can be two or more years) the disability ratings system disaster, the reductions in both the police force and the NHS, oh and the cruelty to whales.

(My underlining for reference)

I'm glad that you re dealing with those problems, allowing others to focus on the whales.

How are you getting on with solving them?

Thanks!

SC

• Haha 1

A diversiomary tactic, maybe; more probable, like a lot of Brits, he just has this thing for animals, especially those that we Brits, in our own mawkish way, have traditionally perceived as emotionally intelligent - cats, dogs, horses, dolphins, and the like.

Edited by nausea
syntax

7 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

(My underlining for reference)

I'm glad that you re dealing with those problems, allowing others to focus on the whales.

How are you getting on with solving them?

Thanks!

SC

Not at all, what happens in that basket case in the North sea is beyond my control.

5 hours ago, nausea said:

A diversiomary tactic, maybe; more probable, like a lot of Brits, he just has this thing for animals, especially those that we Brits, in our own mawkish way, have traditionally perceived as emotionally intelligent - cats, dogs, horses, dolphins, and the like.

I suspect part of Johnson’s motivation is to recast himself as someone who cares about wildlife, a first step away from emulating the loser he’s been modeling himself on.

17 hours ago, oldhippy said:

What would Boris think about swallowing life oysters or boiling shrimps alive?

I suspect that if pressed, like many of us, he would answer that shrimps and oysters are not "sentient" creatures capable of communication and emotion, in the same way.

The whole business of killing creatures to feed humans is complex and emotive. Personally I tend towards the views of the UK pressure group PETA which advocates ethical treatment of animals.

I think that using pandas on motorcycles to deliver takeaway food is exploitative.

As for oysters, I have never eaten one live. I know that they are supposed to be aphrodisiacs, but the last time I tried them only the first three worked!

• Haha 1

On 1/16/2021 at 9:54 PM, dexterm said:

So would you torture to a slow death sentient mammals such as yours or your neighbor's dog, cat or horse? Speaks volumes about you if that's what you turn a blind eye to. Turn yourself in to the nearest FBI psychopath profiling unit.

Cows, sheep and pigs are killed humanely where I live, for those who want to eat them. It's forbidden to kill whales or dolphins, unlike the Japanese.

Try being a vegetarian. Seriously think about it;  you'll live much longer than Japanese whales (71 years in case you wondered).

I am vegan. I cant stand the hypocrisy of anyone who eats meat and then is shocked and upset about when an animal they think is special is killed. 

You are fooling yourself if you think the animals you eat are farmed and slaughtered humanely. 

Do some research and look at undercover footage from farms in America or UK and see how the animals are kept, handled and killed before you start accusing me of being a psychopath.