U.S. closing landmarks, announces vehicle checks in Washington for inauguration

rooster59

17 hours ago, rooster59 said:

"This is not a concession to the terrorists. It is a recognition of the danger of COVID," U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi told reporters on Friday.

Yeah, 'cause razor wire really slows down the virus.

• Confused 2

28 minutes ago, impulse said:

Looks the same to me. 

In fact, the anti-Trumpers burned down more stuff than the Trump fans.

What anti trumpers  burnt down what and were and don’t equate the blm movement with anti trump they are (rightly so imo)protesting getting killed at the hands of the police.a Virginia man was just arrested with fake papers a fire arm and ammunition he’s in trouble rightfully so imo hope the idiot loses the right to bear arms 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, impulse said:

The linked YouTubes were anti-Trumpers, protesting his 2017 inauguration.  (Check the dates and narration on the YouTubes)  Complete with explosions and burning cars and "hundreds arrested".  Nary a BLM'er in the crowd that I saw...

It's legal to carry a gun and ammo in a car in Virginia.  His mistake was probably crossing over into DC.  But he'll probably get off because randomly searching vehicles with no probable cause isn't allowed.  So his attorney will probably have the evidence tossed out.

And the fake pass to get admitted into the inauguration hummm???nope he will see (time)and lose the right to bear arms good!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tug said:

And the fake pass to get admitted into the inauguration hummm???nope he will see (time)and lose the right to bear arms good!

Yeah, I have to walk back the bit about reasonable cause.  I read the complete story and the guy gave the cops reasonable cause when they asked him if he had any guns in the car and he said yes.  Idiot.  Which is why my lawyer buddy asks me to practice saying "I do not consent to a search" then keeping my mouth shut.

The point still stands that it's neither unusual, nor necessarily nefarious for a guy from Virginia to have a gun and ammo in his car.  It's perfectly legal in Virginia.  And thousands of Virginians who work in DC don't bother to take their guns out of their cars before they cross over into DC.  At any other time, the odds of them getting caught at a checkpoint are pretty much nil.

But it makes for great press and lots of clicks.  Scary stuff, a guy from Virginia doing what thousands of Virginians do. If it was any other day, it wouldn't have made the back page of the local paper.

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Yeah, I have to walk back the bit about reasonable cause.  I read the complete story and the guy gave the cops reasonable cause when they asked him if he had any guns in the car and he said yes.  Idiot.  Which is why my lawyer buddy asks me to practice saying "I do not consent to a search" then keeping my mouth shut.

The point still stands that it's neither unusual, nor necessarily nefarious for a guy from Virginia to have a gun and ammo in his car.  It's perfectly legal in Virginia.  And thousands of Virginians who work in DC don't bother to take their guns out of their cars before they cross over into DC.  At any other time, the odds of them getting caught at a checkpoint are pretty much nil.

But it makes for great press and lots of clicks.  Scary stuff, a guy from Virginia doing what thousands of Virginians do. If it was any other day, it wouldn't have made the back page of the local paper.

Law and order.

There's a bit more to the details of the Virginia guy arrested heading into DC:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/beeler-arrest-inauguration-checkpoint/2021/01/16/8597db24-5834-11eb-a817-e5e7f8a406d6_story.html

"Beeler was released on personal recognizance, which prosecutors did not object to, even when the judge asked three times whether the government wished him to be held ahead of trial."

And why might the judge have asked that repeatedly?

"Beeler was arrested on charges of carrying a pistol without a license, possession of an unregistered firearm and possession of unregistered ammunition, a Capitol Police spokesperson said."

Well of course, he's just an average guy trying to earn a living as a private security guard allegedly, except. I guess this is standard carry for security guards these days:

"Police said they also found more than 500 rounds of pistol ammunition, including hollow-point bullets. Nearly two dozen shotgun shells were “located in plain sight in the rear cargo area of the vehicle,” the court documents said."

And of course, nothing alarming about the bumper sticker the guy had on his truck  -- “Assault Life” and “If they come for your guns give ’em your bullets first”

Just another day on the private security guard beat....

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, scorecard said:

"...Look at the stimulus bill.  The Democrats held that up potentially hurting the U.S. economy because they didn't want something that might potentially help Trump."

Many other folks see a very different analysis.  

The bill that was eventually passed was for the most part the same bill that was offered months before. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

The bill that was eventually passed was for the most part the same bill that was offered months before. 

So you're offering the political opponent as proof. The same political opponent who has held up more legislation than you can imganine.