Check if your health insurance covers asymptomatic hospitalisation!

Crossy

4 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Is this a Thai or foreign insurance? Did you also check with them if there is coverage if you're required to follow government directives?

This is a Thai company (think 4th month), good point about the "government directive" although I did word my question to suggest that. I can ask directly.

It does bring up some interesting questions.

Most of the test facilities say 24 hours before you get results.

I am not sure if one is required to go back to the facility for results or probably it is by email or SMS.

If it is the latter and they notify you as positive and you tell them you are not going and will self quarantine then what? They do apparently send an ambulance to your residence to pick you up. They come into your residence and take you by force?  I guess it is possible they would.

Edited by bkk6060

Not knowing anyone who has actually tested +ve I have no idea what the protocols actually are, even for Thais.

But with the strong possibility of WP renewals needing a -ve test result in the future it's certainly a worry.

Both my wife (Thai) and I tested positive in London.

I had no symptoms and felt fine, I wouldn’t have even got a test if my wife hadn’t tested positive first.

My wife tested positive after having a loss of taste and smell – the number of meals my wife/Thai eat the obvious first indicator ????

If I was there I suggest you go with that, as it is a recognised symptom and very hard to prove otherwise to satisfy the insurers.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, thaisail said:

I bought a Covid 19 insurance policy from Dhipaya for 850 baht valid for one year in April last year.

That could well be 850 Baht well spent, do you have a link to the relevant web page?

11 minutes ago, thaisail said:

I bought a Covid 19 insurance policy from Dhipaya for 850 baht valid for one year in April last year. I just got off the phone with them and they assured me that if I test positive, I will be covered as long as the doctor is requesting for me to stay in the hospital. I asked him if this is true if I have no symptoms and he said as long as the government makes me stay in the hospital, I will be covered. 

I guess you know by now that Richard Barrow has posted the new law that was published in the Royal Gazette on December 25, 2020, that in order to get an extension of stay  to remain in Thailand which most of us have to do once per year, you will have to supply a negative Covid 19 test certificate. The details as usual have not been provided. This law will go into force on January 25 so if anyone is up for their extension renewal, I would advise everyone to apply for their extension before this new law goes into force. 

I asked Dhipaya if they will cover the cost of a negative test for Covid 19 and they told me that they will not pay for a negative test. However if the test is positive they will pay for the test along with all expenses up to 1,000,000 baht for hospitalization. 

I bought the same insurance just in case it was needed, have actually just got home from immigration with my new extension stamped in my passport, there was no mention of needing a test now or in the future while I was there

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, seajae said:

I bought the same insurance just in case it was needed, have actually just got home from immigration with my new extension stamped in my passport, there was no mention of needing a test now or in the future while I was there

From Richard Barrows twitter feed on January 16

IMPORTANT: According to this document published in the Royal Gazette, the Immigration law for Section 12 (4) and Section 44 (2) is being changed to include the need for the foreigners to have a #COVID19 test done in order to visit (and stay) in #Thailand.

This document was published in the Royal Gazette on 25th December. The part that is underlined says it will become law 30 days later. So on 25th January. As usual, not everything is clear and to be transparent here, there has been no announcement by Immigration yet

Even if it is true that Immigration will start asking for a COVID free test after 25 January, I’m sure you won’t just be kicked out of the country. You would be sent to a hospital & once you are declared safe, you can then re-apply for your extension. But let’s wait for details.
  • Sad 1

None of this makes any sense at all. The PCR test does not show you have an active infection. You could of recovered from Covid 2 months ago and still test positive because your cells are still shedding dead viral fragments. 
And none of the vaccines have been shown to prevent you getting Covid.
This is now a worldwide endemic virus. We cannot eradicate it. Your immune system learns about it through a natural or vaccine induced infection. Any further infections, so far have mainly shown to produce none or mild symptoms. So this will turn into another one of the cold viruses. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TeaMonkey said:

None of this makes any sense at all. The PCR test does not show you have an active infection. You could of recovered from Covid 2 months ago and still test positive because your cells are still shedding dead viral fragments. 
And none of the vaccines have been shown to prevent you getting Covid.
This is now a worldwide endemic virus. We cannot eradicate it. Your immune system learns about it through a natural or vaccine induced infection. Any further infections, so far have mainly shown to produce none or mild symptoms. So this will turn into another one of the cold viruses. 

If I take a PCR test for my visa extension and I test positive, I can imagine that I will be sent to the closest suitable hospital that is capable of handling Covid 19 treatment. If I am asymptomatic, they could keep me in quarantine until I make two consecutive negative PCR tests which are 3 days apart. If what you are writing is true, I could remain in the hospital for more than 2 months since what you wrote is that I could continue to test positive for that long? Is this true? 

On 1/16/2021 at 11:19 AM, Crossy said:

With the Thai propensity to hosptialise anyone who tests positive whether displaying symptoms or not I checked with my insurance provider whether I'm covered or not.

They say I'm NOT covered unless showing symptoms. Of course this means that I'm going nowhere near a test unless I'm actually sick (in which case I'm covered). 

Just a heads up.

Presumably you aren't using the Thai Chana App, as you could get roped into an outbreak and be traced for testing 

3 hours ago, thaisail said:

If I take a PCR test for my visa extension and I test positive, I can imagine that I will be sent to the closest suitable hospital that is capable of handling Covid 19 treatment. If I am asymptomatic, they could keep me in quarantine until I make two consecutive negative PCR tests which are 3 days apart. If what you are writing is true, I could remain in the hospital for more than 2 months since what you wrote is that I could continue to test positive for that long? Is this true? 

I would think they would use some common sense and let anyone out if they don’t show any symptoms during the detainment period. 
The issue is really having to go into hospital isolation  for a test that cannot determine if you currently have the disease and can also produce false positives.   

13 hours ago, TeaMonkey said:

I would think they would use some common sense and let anyone out if they don’t show any symptoms during the detainment period. 
The issue is really having to go into hospital isolation  for a test that cannot determine if you currently have the disease and can also produce false positives.   

I am assuming the detainment period is 14 days? So you think the doctor will release someone from quarantine with a positive PCR test? Somehow, I doubt that.

As a negative PCR test is now required to fly, this means that once you test positive for Covid, you may not be able to get a negative PCR test in order to board your flight. Imagine you fly to another cou8ntry and get infected with Covid. When you complete your quarantine and or treatment, you may not be allowed to board your return flight. Same for applying for an extension of stay in Thailand. Once you test positive you will not be allowed a permit to stay under the new law.

On 1/18/2021 at 10:56 AM, Crossy said:

The 850 Baht / 1,000,000 cover police certainly looks like a good idea if you're not covered by an existing policy. Note that you need to apply about a month in advance of any test to ensure your cover is in place on test date.

https://www.tipinsure.com/Ph/step_1

hi. The guy above says the insurance is from Dhipaya. Is the link you posted above the same company or a different one?

8 hours ago, bbabythai said:

hi. The guy above says the insurance is from Dhipaya. Is the link you posted above the same company or a different one?

It's from the link he posted, Tipinsure.

Thanks for this heads-up @Crossy!

My STV was just cleared (pjuh!) using a Thai Insurance co. (LMG) and for my C19 $100k requirement I've purchased Safetywings. As this was brought to my attention SW noticed me that they do cover C19 treatment up to $250k, but asymptomatic forced hospitalization they do not

So, I've some 16 days to either cancel my SW insurance or to "supplement" with something else. While the "https://www.tipinsure.com/Ph/step_1" seems affordable I did notice the requirement of being in Thailand at time purchase. 

Any other ideas here to supplement my policy? 

On 1/18/2021 at 10:32 AM, thaisail said:

I bought a Covid 19 insurance policy from Dhipaya for 850 baht valid for one year in April last year. I just got off the phone with them and they assured me that if I test positive, I will be covered as long as the doctor is requesting for me to stay in the hospital. I asked him if this is true if I have no symptoms and he said as long as the government makes me stay in the hospital, I will be covered. 

I guess you know by now that Richard Barrow has posted the new law that was published in the Royal Gazette on December 25, 2020, that in order to get an extension of stay  to remain in Thailand which most of us have to do once per year, you will have to supply a negative Covid 19 test certificate. The details as usual have not been provided. This law will go into force on January 25 so if anyone is up for their extension renewal, I would advise everyone to apply for their extension before this new law goes into force. 

I asked Dhipaya if they will cover the cost of a negative test for Covid 19 and they told me that they will not pay for a negative test. However if the test is positive they will pay for the test along with all expenses up to 1,000,000 baht for hospitalization. 

Thanks for the info, this is reassuring. I have the same policy taken out through Roojai (same premium and cover - Roojai is the broker, Dhipaya the insurer and Tipinsure their online operation). 

How about this one?

https://www.tipinsure.com/CovidRegional/product_detail

Or is it online for those who enter Thailand?

I can't find any information if it covers asymptomatic hospitalisation. Does anyone know?

I read in another thread that there is no 14 days waiting period and it says so under "2) no waiting period".

• 4 months later...

I'm going to bump this thread due to certain "stories" circulating about insurance not paying up for asymptomatic hospitalisations.

I stress that these are unsubstantiated stories, but ...

• Like 1