Thai people more willing to take COVID-19 vaccine than anyone else

rooster59

13 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

Many Thais simply visit the local pharmacy for advice and prescriptions.

When the price of the COVID vaccination is released, we may see the numbers drop. 

When reports of side effects emerge, that will happen.

I also question the results of this poll because for starters, the Thai comments on the YouGov FB page suggest a lot more than 6% are opposed to it. Another poll released by the Bangkok Post recently suggested 68% of Thais would be willing to take it, 6% would not and 26% were undecided or wanted to wait for reports of side effects first. In other words, 15% fewer Thais are willing to take it than this poll apparently claims. 

Also, I see a lot of Thais questioning at least the Chinese vaccine. Personally, I think the Chinese vax with it's use of conventional technology is similar in risk to a flu shot. The western ones using mRNA tech may prove to be much more dangerous. Most people seem to believe the opposite though, often being clouded by an anti-Chinese bias. Of course vaccine scandals in China in recent years haven't helped, but western pharmaceutical companies have an equally, if not more shocking reputation stretching back decades, just that it often gets buried by pro-pharma reporting in the western press. 

Polls made in earlier days such as in the USA suggested at the time that up to 70-80% of Americans would be willing to take the shot, but as reports of side effects have emerged that % has dropped significantly. So I think the same will likely happen in Thailand, especially since reports have started emerging of what has occurred in other countries. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Soikhaonoiken said:

What a garbage report, don't believe any of those figures, I think the reason for some of the low figures in Europe is down to supply problems, and some of the Muslim Countries are refusing to have the vaccine due to there beliefs. 

Agree. Wasn't it only in 2019 that there were widespread reports of "vaccine hesitancy" among southern Thai Muslims? Therefore, this poll, which was probably taken up by agnostic or Buddhist middle class yellow shirts based in Bangkok and other large cities really doesn't tell us anything useful. 

However, the reason for low trust in France and Poland comes down to the mandatory nature of their childhood vaccination programs, which are VERY strict.

It does not surprise me that in countries where vaccination is optional and which have only started vaccination programs more recently (in the late 70s and 80s as opposed to the 50s and 60s) and generally speaking no undue pressure for adults to get vaccinated (for children might be a different story) that they would have more trust than in those where the opposite is the case. That's because in Thailand, anyone older than about 45 or 50 may have never been vaccinated before hence why they may be unaware of the possibility of side effects associated with them. 

Case in point is France - about 2 or 3 years ago, the country mandated an additional 8 vaccines for school children for a total of 11, up from the previous 3. Just weeks ago the French President also mandated schooling for children aged 3 and up, with homeschooling being made illegal (previously it was a grey area). Therefore, there is no way out except perhaps for medical reasons. 

Poland is also very strict. I've read reports of parents who refused to have their newborns vaccinated at birth being hunted down by the authorities.

Making something compulsory definitely breeds mistrust in authority.

Thailand is different because contrary to what some may believe - vaccines are NOT compulsory, and even school isn't. Homeschooling is a legal option here. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Artisi said:

Pity there aren't a lot more like you (and me), the less I see of hospitals and Dr's the better. 

Agree with you and the Thai poster. I will only go to a doctor if I'm on death's door. The less I see the better. 

I think there are plenty of Thais like him, who don't trust hospitals and doctors nearly as much as some claim. 

Rural folk, or at least those who grew up in small towns and rural areas and are middle aged or older, are less likely to trust in allopathic medicine than the younger, urban folk. 

I am fluent in Thai and whenever I drive upcountry (and also in border areas of neighboring countries such as Laos and Cambodia where Thai radio signals can be received) I listen to the local stations. There is always at least one talkback radio station or show where they have a traditional medicine doctor or radio host who listens to people talk about their ailments and then recommends some sort of traditional medicine to treat said issue. Most callers tend to be 45+. 

In the west such shows are rarely found on mainstream FM radio but usually AM, somewhere way out in the sticks or on the internet. 

11 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

Well since this covid came out of Wuhan and has now mutated in the UK, the Thais have shown the world how to handle it.

They listen to medical advice from medical experts. Populations from countries that have failed miserably tended to listen to idiot politicians and wackos on the Internet.

The score is on the board.

Heh. Good one. Not true but good for impact.

Medical experts... right. I remember having a conversation with a doctor at a hospital in Korat. Bored me almost to death with stories about him at Mahidol, which he claimed was the 2nd ranking university in Thailand. Until I pointed out Mahidol was between 600 and 800 in the world ranking. The bragging stopped then, and he stalked off to have a nice sulk.

Gets tedious after a while... sometimes all you need is a few facts to deflate their egos, I still haven't quite gotten over the doctor in the local hospital who prescribed a pretty serious sedative for my wife's PMS. I guess he was busy that day or hadn't read the literature which said that a half-dose of one of the mildest sedatives was all that was required, and not even every day...

Edited by Glaswegian2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Glaswegian2 said:

I still haven't quite gotten over the doctor in the local hospital who prescribed a pretty serious sedative for my wife's PMS. I guess he was busy that day or hadn't read the literature which said that a half-dose of one of the mildest sedatives was all that was required, and not even every day...

Living in Issan, wife with PMS. 
Have you thought about taking the other half of the dose?

It might help you get over it.

Faily sure you can't say p,,,r,,,,o...p,,,,a g,,,,,n,,,,,,,,,,,,, on here but that's what this is. I have asked many Thais if they trust the Chinese vac. Most say no and most say they don't trust the Chinese.  

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Faily sure you can't say p,,,r,,,,o...p,,,,a g,,,,,n,,,,,,,,,,,,, on here but that's what this is. I have asked many Thais if they trust the Chinese vac. Most say no and most say they don't trust the Chinese.  

Agree. Based on the FB posts of my Thai friends, Social Media posts etc. few Thais seem to trust the Chinese ones and an increasing number aren't trusting any of them.

This is the same nonsense as the mask poll from 8 or 9 months ago suggesting Thais were the most likely to mask up out of 6 countries interviewed (1% more than Vietnamese) but weeks later it turns out Singaporeans were masking up more given the change in law that occurred there in April not to mention Thailand always likes to be number one but when they're only interviewing yellow shirts or cherry picking statistics from downtown Bangkok a true picture doesn't emerge. Out in the suburbs and the sticks, only a moderate percentage of Thais have worn masks since the beginning. Like with traffic laws, you have to constantly enforce the rules or threaten draconian fines otherwise people won't comply. 

Of course I totally disagree with all this nonsense, but just pointing out facts in a non-biased manner. 

• Like 1