Khon Kaen: Thai police bust illegal horse meat operation - 100 baht/kilo bound for Vietnam and China

rooster59

Khon Kaen: Thai police bust illegal horse meat operation - 100 baht/kilo bound for Vietnam and China

แก๊งค้าเนื้อม้าข้ามชาติ.png

Image: INN News

Police in Khon Kaen in Thailand's north east announced the arrest of a 44 year old Thai woman called Kanyarat and charged her with various offences connected to dealing in illegal horse meat. 

She had no licence and moved animals contrary to regulations from Nakhon Ratchasima to a farm in Waeng Yai district of Khon Kaen. 

Investigators found 44 horses about to be slaughtered at a processing plant. 

The farm owner was also arrested. 

INN reported that once cut up the meat would sell for 100 baht a kilo and be smuggled across a natural border before being delivered to markets in Vietnam and China. 

Source: INN News

thai+visa_news.jpg 

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-01-16

• Sad 2

I don't think horse is banned, they see, to have lacked the proper licenses.

I doubt you would be able to operate a run of the mill cattle abattoir without the correct licenses either.

Having said that, I've never eaten horse and don't intend to start.

Edited by ukrules

19 hours ago, DaLa said:

Try to get rabbit or some game in the UK, PC brigade only want to eat chicken nuggets. I once went to a restaurant in Rio and there were 16 different meats on the menu..no veg;  just a slice of this and another slice of that please. 

Isn't this because in the west we weren't fed this from when we were born?  Just look at the Thais munching down insects as an expensive treat. I personally draw a line at the insect buffet and of course cannibalism.

You wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Edited by bluesofa
  • Haha 2

I think the story here should be not whether it is horse meat but rather the sanitary environment for processing, storage and shipping. 100 Baht per kilo sounds too cheap for such an exotic meat and I doubt food safety standards are followed. Is it shipped frozen? If not then does it "age" like beef? Could be rank by the time it gets consumed. What about vector for virus transmission? Who knows!

think i remember reading something about a horse racing scene in Korat, which can occasionally lead to an "unwanted" animal situation. 

Not that i am some vegan animal liberationalist...far from it i love horse racing and 99% of people in the game love their animals and would never partake in that sort of thing

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2021 at 12:22 AM, bluesofa said:

IIRC weren't Tesco in the UK caught up in a horse meat scandal a couple of years ago, labelling as something other?

Reminds me of the joke about a guy selling rabbit meat that was actually horse meat.  He claimed it was a 50-50 mix.  One rabbit, one horse.

On 1/16/2021 at 1:07 PM, ezzra said:

Nothing wrong with horse meat, many countries are using horse meat in their charcuterie preparation, they think nothing when consuming dog meats in many parts of this country but horse meat is a no no, of course, not condoning illegal meat trades, but correctly done horse meat is a good meat...

Horse meat forms a significant part of the culinary traditions of many countries, particularly in Europe and Asia. The eight countries which consume the most horse meat consume about 4.3 million horses a year. For the majority of humanity's early existence, wild horses were hunted as a source of protein.

On 1/16/2021 at 4:32 PM, Cake Monster said:

I have eaten Horse Meat knowingly on several occasions in France.

I must say it was delicious.

For years, there's been horse meat in hamburgers, lasagnas, raviolis, tortellinis, sausages, prepared spaghetti bolognese, bottled bolognese sauce, chili con carne, shepherd's pie, moussaka, many other “meat dishes,” frozen and not, cheap and expensive.