Mold on your cheese...

1FinickyOne

Personally, I prefer blue cheddar, brie, camembert, or, if not available, even Harzer Stinkkaese, each to suit his own taste,
probably have had my fill of the hard cheeses in a prior period of life ????  

Having said that, Gouda and the like may have some salt and possibly mold on the waxed outside. Prior to the cheese being cut, wash it off, and all good.
However, if there is mold on a cut cheese, spores have likely spread all over the piece , so either cut off all open sides, or toss it in the bin. 
this kind of moldy cheese is not recommended for animals either.

On 1/16/2021 at 1:49 PM, 1FinickyOne said:

Do you trim it off?

Do you toss the entire piece? 

Do you hope that maybe it is good for you and eat it anyway? 

Check this it will answer your question.

Soft cheeses, such as cottage cheese, cream cheese and ricotta, with mold should be discarded. The same goes for any kind of cheese that's shredded, crumbled or sliced.

With these cheeses, the mold can send threads throughout the cheese — contaminating more than you see. In addition, harmful bacteria, such as listeria, brucella, salmonella and E. coli, can grow along with the mold.

Mold generally can't penetrate far into hard and semisoft cheeses, such as cheddar, colby, Parmesan and Swiss. So you can cut away the moldy part and eat the rest of the cheese. Cut off at least 1 inch (2.5 centimeters) around and below the moldy spot. Be sure to keep the knife out of the mold, so it doesn't contaminate other parts of the cheese.

Of course, not all molds pose a risk. Some types of mold are used to make cheeses, such as Brie and Camembert. These molds are safe for healthy adults to eat. However, these cheeses, as well as other soft cheeses and cheeses made with unpasteurized milk, are best avoided by people with weakened immune systems, older adults, pregnant women, infants and young children.

If you're not sure what type of cheese you have or what to do if it grows mold, the safe course is to discard it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Muhendis said:

I agree about cutting off the mouldy outer layer but don't shave it off. As has been said the mould is not just skin deep. Blue cheese is possibly a good choice if you have any infections but amoxicillin is probably cheaper. 

"Blue cheese is a type of cheese made using cultures of Penicillium, a type of mold.

Certain types of mold produce compounds called mycotoxins, which are considered toxic to humans.

These mold spores can grow on foods due to spoilage, and they’re typically fuzzy and white, green, black, blue, or grey.

However, unlike these types of mold, the varieties of Penicillium used to produce blue cheese don’t produce toxins and are considered safe to consume.

During the cheesemaking process, Penicillium is added after the curds have been drained and rolled into wheels. The blue cheese is then left to age for 2–3 months before it’s ready to enjoy.

Penicillium is responsible for the distinct taste and smell of blue cheese, along with its signature blue and green veins and spots."

Yes it's very hard to find good cheese at the price you can buy amoxicillin for.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

My Grandfather made his own Blue Cheese.  He wouldn't have thought of eating it until it had mould all over it and crawling things inside it. He didn't live past 65, but then again,  he drank like a fish, while eating his semi rotten cheese.  I was around 4 years old at the time and when Mum and Dad weren't looking, he would feed me his home made stuff.  I love blue cheese of any description, the riper the better. Thanks Granddad. 

P.S I am using the English spelling of 'mould',  as 'mold' doesn't have a meaning in UK English and 'mould' doesn't have a meaning in US English.  Stupid language isn't it?   No wonder my Mrs gets confused. . 

Aray Wha......????

and there's nothing better than curtailing ones walpoling activities - and partaking of a bit of fermented curd... anybody not feeling strong enough to handle a bit'o'mould should pay a visit to their local cheese factory curing room ???? 

- and then they'd Really have something to be scared of 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Pilotman said:

P.S I am using the English spelling of 'mould',  as 'mold' doesn't have a meaning in UK English and 'mould' doesn't have a meaning in US English.  Stupid language isn't it?   No wonder my Mrs gets confused. . 

A favorite cheeseburger... a favourite on the side w/bangers and mash... 

As to getting confused... saw my kids homework... thankfully she didn't ask me to explain. 

I fly

you fly

we fly

they fly

he/she flies