The "Nomad Capitalist" (who targets people richer than you) disses Thailand as overrated for expats

Jingthing

11 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'm no shill for the nomad guy but I do enjoy some of his videos and his business isn't about youtube per se offering custom services to international entrepreneurs mainly seeking escape from high taxation in first world countries. Not the most morally defensible niche but he walks the walk as he gave up his US citizenship. His particular brand is suggesting people set up bases in multiple countries to avoid living in any long enough to be a tax resident. His favorite country appears to be Malaysia but in recent years has become bullish on Colombia.

The Colombian crime rate is nothing to write home about, and I suspect along with many other Latin American countries kidnapping of rich people is well up on the menu.

It's pretty simple to avoid taxes anywhere on the planet. Don't have any income, and live off accumulated capital.

While it's possible to  have sex with women in Malaysia, in a predominantly Muslim country it's not something one can do without a potential tap on the shoulder.

Is this guy a eunuch?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The Colombian crime rate is nothing to write home about, and I suspect along with many other Latin American countries kidnapping of rich people is well up on the menu.

It's pretty simple to avoid taxes anywhere on the planet. Don't have any income, and live off accumulated capital.

While it's possible to  have sex with women in Malaysia, in a predominantly Muslim country it's not something one can do without a potential tap on the shoulder.

Is this guy a eunuch?

He's married. 

• Like 2

Just now, Sundown said:

I imagine all the multi-millionaires tuned in for the top 5 lists of this internet guy in Harry Potter's glasses in order to decide what to do with their lives and money ... 

Very funny but I'm pretty sure that he does have clients for his specialized services. Probably only a minority of his target market of richies are open to creative expatriation but for those that are that want to make it easier, I'm not sure why they wouldn't at least check out what he offers. 

• Like 1

He's selling overprice junk to poor/middle class people (digital nomads and co) who think they can safe money his way.

No one with 100 mio cares about him or his opinion, they just hire an immigration lawyer, live where you want, or just travel around - whatever, you don't need him. 

People with 100 mio in liquid assets have family offices with secretaries and inhouse lawyers, or are close to big lawfirms who do this as a favor. 

Wouldn't give af about his opinion, or anyone elses - life where you are happy, even if thats a muslim craphole where u can't bang around - but his reason to pitch malaysia is that he apparently has a salesoffice there: 

Lots of <deleted> you can find about him if u google... wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole...

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Is this guy a eunuch?

Agreed, the muslim thing is enough to put me off Malaysia as a serious destination, I just don't get what their problem is with one of the most basic pleasures in life....

But, as Jingthing rightly stated, this guy gave up his US citizenship to follow his lifestyle. That took balls.....

Edited by Inala
typo

5 hours ago, Stefanix said:

Choosing your place of residence is not (only) an arithmetic problem. This guys passion seems to be counting what expenses he could save from evading tax and living in cheap countries. That people have emotional ties to countries / cultures / people seems to be no factor in his equation. Does this guy have any feelings or does he secretly calculate the costs of every minute spending with his partner and how this can be arranged more efficiently?

Your description is a tad bit harsh, but probably there is some truth there. He does have a political ideology to back up his actions -- libertarianism. I've never been and will never be in the position of his clients, but it's hard to blame people to want to avoid very high percentage taxation and he does always emphasize doing things legally. Legal is not the same thing as moral. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I am happily sufficiently funded but even with 100 mil., I would be here.

Lived many other places I like it here.

Malaysia was western  haters in my opinion I despised the attitudes and the place would never go back.

Well, good for you. 
I would probably just stay in the USA, travel as much as I wanted, and pay the tax. 

My motivation for expatriation was largely economic, but coming from the low end motivations not the high! 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

On 1/16/2021 at 6:47 AM, Jingthing said:

I'm no shill for the nomad guy but I do enjoy some of his videos. His business isn't about youtube per se but offering an array of custom services to international entrepreneurs mainly seeking escape from high taxation in first world countries. For example new residencies, new passports, real estate, banking, staffing from lower cost countries with skilled work forces. Not the most morally defensible niche but he walks the walk as he gave up his US citizenship. His particular brand involves suggesting people set up bases in multiple countries to avoid living in any long enough to be a tax resident. Thus the word nomad

His favorite country appears to be Malaysia but in recent years has become bullish on Colombia.

Both are excellent choices for expats. I speak from personal experience over the last 10 years.

On 1/16/2021 at 7:08 PM, Lacessit said:

If you say so.

• Like 1