Unattended Idling Car...Any Danger?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Obviously the OP does not care about how much air pollution he causes by leaving a car idling while he attends to his needs. Running into a 7/11 may be OK for a couple of minutes, but having a restaur

Yes, ours works like that, you can get an awful long way before having to turn off the engine.   The question is of course, why would you leave it running, it takes moments to cool down agai

I often keep my unattended car idling while running into Sevens to pick up something I need or to keep the cool while I'm doing an errand or having a restaurant meal. It is a late model car with an im

OP, they are all things you could check yourself

All the variables you mention could easily be tested by having a friend hold the fob and you try to drive away. I imagine the results could vary between different car makes and models, and in some instances may even be programable or operate differently if child lock is active etc.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

Take the key fob out of your pocket, get in, try to drive away.

It ain't rocket science

You are right...I thought someone might already know. I could also probably just Google/YouTube it.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Yes, ours works like that, you can get an awful long way before having to turn off the engine.

The question is of course, why would you leave it running, it takes moments to cool down again on re-entering?

I only leave it running if it has to be parked in the blazing sun...and not at crowded public areas. Examples like dashing into Seven or Amazon, while gassing up and going into the mini-mart (yes service stations let you keep it running during fill-ups (most)), or in a secure parking area. I wouldn't leave it on if the errand or meal was going to be longer than 30 minutes. Yes, my air-con is very efficient and even though a black color, cools down the car interior within a few minutes.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 9
1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, they are all things you could check yourself

All the variables you mention could easily be tested by having a friend hold the fob and you try to drive away. I imagine the results could vary between different car makes and models, and in some instances may even be programable or operate differently if child lock is active etc.

My Sunday project tomorrow...will report back.

18 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

So I take it you are against any car with remote engine start technology,

What is this technology? 

1 minute ago, PGSan said:

What is this technology? 

It means that you can start your engine when you are not in the car. Just press a button on your remote IF your car is equipped with that facility.....

Google will give you a full rundown on the system if you look...

Well once upon a time, the driver got out at a family members home, went inside, left us in the car with the air con on etc. She got may be 30ft away and an alarm went off in the car, she continued into the house and the car stopped. She had the fob in her pocket.

The danger in your scenario, is what happens to the car/driver and anyone around it when it cuts out and the driver has no control and limited braking/steering ability. Dangerous situation if in a city centre I suggest.

• Like 2