Unattended Idling Car...Any Danger?

17 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

Don't overlook the possibility that the engine could overheat from a cooling system malfunction such as a broken fan belt, radiator hose or low coolant level. 

I actually saw this happen about 10 years ago in a Big C car park. I heard an announcement on the tannoy as I was leaving the store with my shopping.

As I approached my car I could see a lot of smoke billowing from a parked car a couple of rows away. Curious, I got a bit closer to the gathering crowd as a man ran from the store , jumped in the car and turned the engine off.

What damage was done .....who knows , but I doubt he'll do that again in future.

What

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

Don't overlook the possibility that the engine could overheat from a cooling system malfunction such as a broken fan belt, radiator hose or low coolant level. 

It's a well maintained car...I wouldn't be surprised if modern engines also had auto-shutoff features if they start to seriously overhead. 

1 hour ago, rwill said:

On my Fords the gear lever and steering wheel also lock.  So even if the engine is running you can't put it in gear or steer it without the key fob.

Even if the brake pedal is depressed it won't shift out of park without the fob? That would be good to know as it basically answers my op because my Honda is the same.

40 minutes ago, Bangyai said:

I actually saw this happen about 10 years ago in a Big C car park. I heard an announcement on the tannoy as I was leaving the store with my shopping.

As I approached my car I could see a lot of smoke billowing from a parked car a couple of rows away. Curious, I got a bit closer to the gathering crowd as a man ran from the store , jumped in the car and turned the engine off.

What damage was done .....who knows , but I doubt he'll do that again in future.

What

Most likely a badly maintained car...he was lucky it didn't happen while he was speeding down a road or expressway.

7 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:
7 hours ago, transam said:

Thought I would look, and yep, in the UK you would be in trouble......

https://www.drivingtesttips.biz/driving-tips/parked-with-engine-running.html

I wonder if it's the same in Thailand?

I can hardly wait for you to find out.

It's not just you though. You are simply the first fool I have come across who claims they do it all the time without batting an eyelid. I have a hard-on for anyone of any height and haircut in any country that leaves their car unattended with the engine running. I agree that I see lots of this in Thailand, mostly in un-shaded car parks like our local makro but less so in the covered parking at our local Big C. It's a fairly recent phenomenon though, wrought of the keyless, push-button start technology that makes the local yokels think it's for leaving the engine running and aircon on while they go shopping.

Welcome to the club.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

It's a well maintained car...I wouldn't be surprised if modern engines also had auto-shutoff features if they start to seriously overhead. 

They all have an auto-shutoff, it's activated when the pistons seize to the cylinder walls. But maybe they have an auto-shut off, on that pimped up Thai Honda Accord Hybrid Tech you thought was special. 

On 1/16/2021 at 12:03 PM, Pattaya Spotter said:

I often keep my unattended car idling while running into Sevens to pick up something I need or to keep the cool while I'm doing an errand or having a restaurant meal. It is a late model car with an immobilizer system and electronic push start system. The driver side door can not be locked while the engine is on and the car unattended. Is there any theft danger in this situation (of the car)...what happens if someone gets in and tries to drive off with it? Since they don't have the key fob, will the engine just cut-off or is it impossible to shift out of "park-brake lock" if the key fob isn't present? Obviously, if they can at least drive it to one shut-off, they would not be able to start it again, correct?

It is forbidden by law, to leave running car unattended. Period.

7 minutes ago, fakser said:

If you are going to make such a statement, then finish your statement with ‘period’ to add extra emphasis of a ‘full stop’ at the end of the statement to indicate the topic is complete, and you have provided the official answer to there is no further point in discussion it would be a good idea to provide an official source which backs up your statement. :neus:

You could have also added ‘I rest my case’ and pretended you are a lawyer presenting an argument in court instead of just pretending you are the final authority on such issues by using the word ‘period’ !!!  :cheesy:

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

I would be surprised. It's far more important to be able to drive the care to safety then to protect the overheating engine.

• Like 2

On 1/16/2021 at 7:35 AM, VocalNeal said:

I was driving a mates Camry Hybrid. In traffic he got out for a pee in nearby bushes. As agreed I drove about 1km to a U turn and picked him up on the way back. He had the fob in his pocket and nothing happed. I was waiting for it but....nothing happend.

Ah, a Urine  turn.

Years back I was headed to work early one cold morning in NJ, USA. My truck  (with a manual transmission) was parked on a level paved surface.  I started it, then ducked back into the house to get something I forgot.  I heard some clanging commotion outside and thought the garbage collectors had come.

Went back out and my Toyota pickup was gone!  This was on a private estate with like 20 acres of land. Finally I noticed tracks in the dew on the lawn ... and a bent fence post on the corner of the vegetable garden.  I had released the parking brake and didn't set it.  Truck vibrated and went down the sloped back yard, through a bit of field and crashed into a big pile of brush at the edge of some woods about 100 meters away.  I had a helluva time getting it out backwards because of dew/frost and it was 2 wheel drive.  Late for work.

My brother lost a truck in Denver, Colorado.  About 4:30-5:00 in the morning one winter, he opened his garage, started the truck and let it warm up while he fetched his coffee.  Came back out a few minutes later and the truck was gone.  Along with his wallet and phone on the seat.  This was in a middle-class suburban neighborhood.  The truck was found a couple weeks later. 

6 hours ago, fakser said:

Yes it's been pointed out...max fine is B500. It's also illegal to park without engaging the parking brake (even on a zero grade...B500 fine)...I hope all thread posters are in compliance. 

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Interesting...of course, this would most likely apply on public roads but not on private property like parking lots and such. How many people apply the parking brake in Thailand if not on a very hilly spot...I certainly don't? 

You should apply your handbrake it is the hand brake operation that keeps drum brakes automatically adjusted.

58 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

You should apply your handbrake it is the hand brake operation that keeps drum brakes automatically adjusted.

Most of those auto drum adjusters are useless, my Vigo's were useless, used the backplate window to adjust them. My Suzuki's are useless, I take the drums off and adjust myself.

1 hour ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Didn't think of this...will give it a try.

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Oh yes it can, remove the key from the fob and physically lock the door. 

So I tested a few things and the car will shift out of park without the fob present...just gives a visual warning that it isn't detected. However, your suggestion to use the key to lock the door worked a treat. So for security during longer stops, I can just key lock the door and no longer have to be within close eyesight of the vehicle to feel secure. Of course, for quick Seven stops and the like I'll just dash in and out without locking.

Just an FYI...I've have the answer to my op now and won't reply to any more posts. Thanks to all who gave useful feedback. 

Edited by Pattaya Spotter