Justin Thomas in trouble!

Thailand

Justin Thomas loses Ralph Lauren as sponsor after anti-gay slur

World No. 3 Justin Thomas, after his use of an anti-gay slur during last week’s Tournament of Champions, lost Ralph Lauren as one of his sponsors on Friday. 

“We are disheartened by Mr. Thomas’s recent language, which is entirely inconsistent with our values,” the company said in a statement. “While we acknowledge that he has apologized and recognizes the severity of his words, he is a paid ambassador of our brand and his actions conflict with the inclusive culture that we strive to uphold.

https://golf.com/news/justin-thomas-loses-ralph-lauren-sponsor-anti-gay-slur/

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Meatball is an anti-gay slur? It's getting more PC every day.

You beat me to it - the word that was deleted in my reply was here -

https://www.quora.com/Did-the-word-<deleted>-cease-to-be-used-in-the-UK-to-refer-to-meatballs-because-of-the-Americanism-of-the-word-that-contains-a-derogatory-meaning-to-gays?share=1

2 hours ago, rumak said:

sorry,  i'm really just too fagged out to comment at this moment.    and I'm pretty peed off that my partner forgot to clean my putter !

I had to look up  why him saying meatball was a problem ...I read it meant idiot.  Good job Thais prefer fishballs or there could be some upsets when they order ????

• Haha 1

On 9 January, after missing a 5-foot par putt during a tournament at the championships, Thomas uttered: “fa***t”, a highly offensive term used to describe gay men.   The homophobic comment was heard via television microphones which Thomas was unaware of.

He has since issued an apology, referring to the comment as “inexcusable”.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/golf/what-did-justin-thomas-say-golf-champions-homophobic-slur-after-missed-putt-explained-and-his-apology-3092024

No mention of meatballs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, impulse said:

On 9 January, after missing a 5-foot par putt during a tournament at the championships, Thomas uttered: “fa***t”, a highly offensive term used to describe gay men.   The homophobic comment was heard via television microphones which Thomas was unaware of.

He has since issued an apology, referring to the comment as “inexcusable”.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/golf/what-did-justin-thomas-say-golf-champions-homophobic-slur-after-missed-putt-explained-and-his-apology-3092024

No mention of meatballs.

It's a language thing.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/classic-british-faggots-recipe-435283

• Haha 1

image.jpeg.fb8a4e54dff8cbb96937ff2bcbbf3734.jpeg

A staple in the UK. My mother once made them for the Duke of Edinburgh. He asked for seconds. Delicious.

Edited by polpott
  • Haha 1

On 1/17/2021 at 4:56 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Ridiculous to potentially kill a man's career over one word

His career is not/will not be killed.  But endorsement dollars....may be impacted.  The PGA may also issue a fine.  I doubt it will hurt him much as the guy is loaded.  But Justin is genuinely regretful and won't do it again.  I curse all the time after hitting a bad shot.  But I'm not a PGA pro getting paid millions and a role model on top of that. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

His career is not/will not be killed.  But endorsement dollars....may be impacted.  The PGA may also issue a fine.  I doubt it will hurt him much as the guy is loaded.  But Justin is genuinely regretful and won't do it again.  I curse all the time after hitting a bad shot.  But I'm not a PGA pro getting paid millions and a role model on top of that. 

In golf the mental side can be your downfall, see Jordon Spieth. The fallout from this could effect his game, let's see how it pans out

19 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

You are right he will still make a ton playing.

And yes, most of us curse on the course.  S..t,  D..n, or something else.

I never used the word he used never came to mind.

Seems strange but someone pointed out to me maybe it is a word he uses a lot.

Learned his lesson though, people forgave Tiger for his mistakes probably the same result for Justin as he is very popular and seems like a decent fellow.

To add, he shot a 66 the next day and finished 3rd after being confronted about his words and interviewed on live TV.  Any suggestion this will ruin his game and career are nonsense.

Edited by bkk6060

On 1/16/2021 at 9:56 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Ridiculous to potentially kill a man's career over one word

What the hell...let them use any derogatory they want......who cares?

Let's go right back to the 50's and 60's......just say what we mean......weren't they better times?

While I am not excusing Justin Thomas however there is a huge double standard.  You can spew vicious comments against Caucasians, Christians, Conservatives, Business Owners, but there are the "special protected" that saying anything derogatory is immediately punished.  I look at Collin Kaepernick who the CEO of Twitter gave him $3 million after Kaepernick uttered his support of the BLM violence.  Personally, I find the public condoning of violence a far more egregious offense than uttering to oneself in a manner that was self deprecating his own performance and certainly he did not intend to have it broadcast to the world.  Yet Kapernick is praised and rewarded and Thomas is punished.  

https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/last-year-colin-kaepernick-praised-deadly-blm-riots-after-which-twitter-ceo-gave

image.png.c8a2f97ce395c914448f0c2b83c06976.png

The name of the game is reduce the opportunities for the "haters" to take you down , Uttering a gay slur such as Fa**ot was shooting himself in the foot with a shotgun .  With the lipstick being removed from the pig JT just gave the world an unfiltered look at the thinking of a good old boy born in Kentucky and who  went to the University of Alabama .

His formative years were likely saturated with racism  and homophobia . I would cut him a large amount of slack and measure him on what he does and not so much on unfiltered heated outbursts using terms that were/are second nature to a Southerner . 

Just now, smylee52 said:

The name of the game is reduce the opportunities for the "haters" to take you down , Uttering a gay slur such as Fa**ot was shooting himself in the foot with a shotgun .  With the lipstick being removed from the pig JT just gave the world an unfiltered look at the thinking of a good old boy born in Kentucky and who  went to the University of Alabama .

His formative years were likely saturated with racism  and homophobia . I would cut him a large amount of slack and measure him on what he does and not so much on unfiltered heated outbursts using terms that were/are second nature to a Southerner . 

I guess you can say that more of the measure of the man is what he does afterwards (cutting him some slack)....assuming it is genuine and heartfelt of course and not just aimed at securing future sponsorship contracts

• Like 1