The week that was in Thailand news: Light at the end of the tunnel – or is it an approaching train?

rooster59

Today I woke up feeling good, made my coffee, ate some of my wife's fresh sweet pastries, looked out to the green surroundings and the overcast sky, feeling the change in the weather, then opened up TVF, there goes my Sunday, over and out.

10 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Back in the day I was part of an emergency relief operation where time was of the essence, so rather than send us all to the doctor's office, they brought the doctor to our briefing in a hotel restaurant to update shots while we listened. I needed two shots and as usual turned my head so I wouldn't see them and cringed like an eleven-year-old girl. The doctor noticed this and, after the shots were given, ordered me to look her in the eye. Three seconds later, she ordered me to have a beer.

It was 7:45 AM.

I later submitted a receipt for the beer to my organization as a medical expense, but alas the accountant wasn't sympathetic.

Oh dear - a bean counter with no sense of humour; I'm afraid a common trait in that profession.

6 hours ago, Ponlamai said:

My guess is... it's an approaching train! Here in Oz, they've just determined that the most likely cause of the virus spread on the 7th floor of a quarantine hotel in Brisbane came via the air venting system, indicating the airborne spread theory is strong.

The other big news that's little known is that the last 7 years have each been the hottest in recorded history and the sea-level is now rapidly increasing, with 4 mm last year being recorded by NASA.

That's before we take into account the political instability, climate change and environmental catastrophe resulting from out Global Corporate Military Industrial Consumer culture that continues unabated.

Enjoy the moment if possible but be prepared for much worse if you are able.

Oh, <deleted>! I was just enjoying my first Sunday beer. Now I'll have to just get <deleted>.

Thank for the entertaining read and making me smile Rooster. Good read.

23 hours ago, rooster59 said:

When thinking about trains Rooster’s mind usually goes back to 1986 when a cleaner – probably called Somchai – left the brakes off a train made up of six locomotives coupled together at Bang Sue junction, a few stops from Hua Lamphong Station in Bangkok. ....

Half a dozen paid with their lives after not getting the hell out of the station. It nearly collapsed as the locos were spreadeagled all over the concourse.

I didn't know about that accident till today. Just made a little search on Google and found that old photo:

20210117_114736.jpg

Edited by Flying Saucage

23 hours ago, rooster59 said:

something that Uncle Too had told Anutin to avoid at all costs

I someone wonders why I almost completely stopped to post on Thaivisa, after being quite active here before: I became tired to post after some weeks ago, and after investing time and effort in writing a longer post about Covid tests, this post dissapeared a two minutes later already. Not because anything else was wrong with this post, only as it was seen as an unallowed reference to the PM to use his common nickname Uncle Too. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I just did similar, it was a great day until in ventured down the Thai social media rabbit hole. 

I have a Thaivisa, facebook and youtube tab open, its like a car accident, you dont want to look but cant help yourself.

Yes and then when you return from a day out and away from the social media platforms, you get some dipstick on another TVF topic being an absolute idiot and thinking he knows everything, just to fire up my engine.

On that not, it's over and out again, too many keyboard warriors, just when I thought they all left.

Have a good one ????

On 1/16/2021 at 2:44 PM, Lacessit said:

"Also, to this day I remember watching my classmates at school getting their BCG jabs in the school hall. I was hiding on a balcony after believing rumors that we’d have to drop our trousers for maton in front of everyone. Still, I’ve never caught TB though I once spent several nights in close proximity with a Thai woman whose hacking cough later led to a disconcerting diagnosis. Hers, not mine."

Rooster, it may interest you to know the medical profession in Australia has been so interested in a correlation between BCG immunization, and apparent coronavirus immunity, it is running a clinical trial of 500 front line health workers in South Australia to verify the correlation. It makes sense, both are primarily lung conditions. Which shows what can happen when one is naughty.

Me, I'll be quite smug if the link is verified, because I have had multiple BCG treatments.

Why has no one else in the world latched onto this? Yes I too remember being BCG jabbed with a strange multi pronged needle device that on some left a permanent ring of tiny dots. Not me though. So I can't bare my upper arm and claim immunity, be it Diplomatic or from Covid 19. Haven't caught it yet though.

4 hours ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Why has no one else in the world latched onto this? Yes I too remember being BCG jabbed with a strange multi pronged needle device that on some left a permanent ring of tiny dots. Not me though. So I can't bare my upper arm and claim immunity, be it Diplomatic or from Covid 19. Haven't caught it yet though.

May be wrong but from what I remember is the ring of dots if they became raised meant that you had come in contact with someone who had TB, as mine did,my father spent 18 months in hospital recovering after contracting tb in new guinea,ww2.

Thanks for the chuckles Rooster, Thailand may have the light at the end of the tunnel,

in the USA the train is coming into the station.  The UK is in bad straits as well, especially

Ireland. I think I would rather be in Thailand than many other places in the world.

We all have to stay cautious, even after the vaccines as it will be at least a year

to be sure, that we do not spread the virus after getting the vaccine.  We also have to

hope that the vaccine is effective in protection for at least a year or so.  We have to

watch for some mutation that may become strong enough that the vaccine has to be

changed drastically to protect against it.  Many things to think about in the near future.

I just hope that we can all get the vaccine before too many more months.

Geezer