Pattaya: Top hotels serve breakfast out front - response from public has surprised them

rooster59

1 hour ago, Natai Beach said:

Just another bad and misleading translation. 

The link says 12-13,000 pieces of patango, not servings as claimed in the translation. 

Nobody has just one piece of patango. I usually have about 5-10. 

The only one claiming 12-13,000 serves is the translator. 

Natai Beach notes that these mistranslations nearly always happen in a way that attracts comments such as the one from  @findlay13 . 

Natai Beach strongly suspects these mistranslations are not accidental because of their consistency. They never reflect positively on Thailand or its people. 
Some are very subtle. 

1 hour ago, Iron Tongue said:

Beat me to it.  They're listing pcs. sold, not meals per day.

OK, that makes more sense. 

When I translate the original story (on the Manager page) it comes out as "12,000-13,000 characters".
When I cut the paragraph and paste it into Google Translate it comes out as "12,000-13,000 pieces".

However I doubt the ThaiVisa news team deliberately mistranslated it to "servings" in an attempt to make the story reflect negatively on Thailand or it's people.

On 1/17/2021 at 8:24 AM, mikebell said:

This could catch on as a business model.

I saw something similar outside the LK on 3rd Road, wondered if it was for the homeless. 

Bit late for breakfast at 11 am but was busy enough. And the diners looked too well-heeled to be skint. 

My grouse is well-established hotels that cater for the super-rich have been overcharging for years.  With a dearth of customers they should lower their prices to compete for customers in the strata below.  I looked in vain for a deal in Bangkok hotels that was superior to my normal grade.  I ended up in an Airbnb.

31 minutes ago, mikebell said:

WOW! 896B from 4374 (presumably if I go today.)  Not too far from my son's restaurant near Terminal 21.  Thanks for the tip.

They might try to get you to pay more for the breakfast... but since few customers they do not have the buffet, but a limited menu and not the best value. You can walk down to the Exchange Tower. 

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

My grouse is well-established hotels that cater for the super-rich have been overcharging for years.  With a dearth of customers they should lower their prices to compete for customers in the strata below.  I looked in vain for a deal in Bangkok hotels that was superior to my normal grade.  I ended up in an Airbnb.

There are great deals out there, I will be looking to do a trip again when the red zone restrictions are lifted, best value stay ever pre-Christmas . A bit like Pattaya, i found Bangkok nicer with the reduced level of normal hecticness  and the drinks deals the expat pubs I went too were offering put their Pattaya equivalents to shame. 

If you find a deal with a booking site I'd contact the hotel directly and see if they can better it, it worked for me. They are going to be desperate for any custom after these current shutdown restrictions. 

21 hours ago, kinyara said:

i found Bangkok nicer with the reduced level of normal hecticness  and the drinks deals the expat pubs I went too were offering put their Pattaya equivalents to shame. 

I go to Bangkok now and again and I don't find this true. Overpriced and nothing special. And what utter tosh about the drink prices..... in Bangkok they make a hoo-hah about Happy Hour only beers at 100 baht,  in Pattaya they are 65 baht all night. One can have a good time in Bangkok but you need deep pockets.... even a GGB wastes your time with special beers brought in from outside for 120 baht each, nice and warm, and LDs 220 baht and up.... it is like they just don't want customers. 

• Like 1

On 1/24/2021 at 8:02 AM, kinyara said:

There are great deals out there, I will be looking to do a trip again when the red zone restrictions are lifted, best value stay ever pre-Christmas . A bit like Pattaya, i found Bangkok nicer with the reduced level of normal hecticness  and the drinks deals the expat pubs I went too were offering put their Pattaya equivalents to shame. 

If you find a deal with a booking site I'd contact the hotel directly and see if they can better it, it worked for me. They are going to be desperate for any custom after these current shutdown restrictions. 

How about more info on these drink deals. 

Asking for a mate of mine. 

3 hours ago, rott said:

How about more info on these drink deals. 

Asking for a mate of mine. 

I'd recommend Sukhumvit Soi 33/1 Alley where you've a choice of the Royal Oak, O'Shea's and Robin Hood on the corner. The days I was there with the combinations of the specials on at each venue I was enjoying pints of draught cider for 130 baht. The 2 for 1 deals applied to all draughts and they weren't time restricted. Check their facebook pages for current daily deals. 

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I go to Bangkok now and again and I don't find this true. Overpriced and nothing special. And what utter tosh about the drink prices..... in Bangkok they make a hoo-hah about Happy Hour only beers at 100 baht,  in Pattaya they are 65 baht all night. One can have a good time in Bangkok but you need deep pockets.... even a GGB wastes your time with special beers brought in from outside for 120 baht each, nice and warm, and LDs 220 baht and up.... it is like they just don't want customers. 

I'd normally agree with you and was certainly a factor why when factoring in high hotel prices I gradually went off Bangkok, but we are currently in different times and  I was pleasantly surprised last trip and why I'll take advantage again. See above recommendation. If you can point me in the direction of a comfortable pub in Pattaya where I can have a choice of draught ciders for 130 baht a pint I'd be most grateful. 

I always have a good time in Bangkok and it doesn't involve GGB's or lady drinks which I have long considered an overpriced waste of money whether in Bangkok or Pattaya for that matter. More to Bangkok than that <deleted>. 

14 minutes ago, kinyara said:

If you can point me in the direction of a comfortable pub in Pattaya where I can have a choice of draught ciders for 130 baht a pint I'd be most grateful. 

I can point you towards a place or 4 where you can get 2 bottles of beer for that price in Pattaya. Cider is like Guinness in LOS, mostly not worth the extra..... 

Last time I was in Soi Cowboy they were selling cold beers from inside, 180 baht, but you could get a tepid one from a cooler kept outside for 120 (or maybe it was 100), what silliness. Anyhow share with me the odd good pub in Bangkok for my next trip, and I will give it a go.....I went into Fitzgeralds I think it was, a bottle of beer was 90 , but only for  limited times. 

I had a good time too, but had to have a few to loosen my purse.....can't beat having a few dozen Baccara girls to yourself.... beats not being let in like before!

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I can point you towards a place or 4 where you can get 2 bottles of beer for that price in Pattaya. Cider is like Guinness in LOS, mostly not worth the extra..... 

Last time I was in Soi Cowboy they were selling cold beers from inside, 180 baht, but you could get a tepid one from a cooler kept outside for 120 (or maybe it was 100), what silliness. Anyhow share with me the odd good pub in Bangkok for my next trip, and I will give it a go.....I went into Fitzgeralds I think it was, a bottle of beer was 90 , but only for  limited times. 

I had a good time too, but had to have a few to loosen my purse.....

Will do, with money saved from this January restriction I'll be up there as soon as we are allowed and venues can open fully. 

3 minutes ago, kinyara said:

Will do, with money saved from this January restriction I'll be up there as soon as we are allowed and venues can open fully. 

I will have to dream up some shopping trip my Mrs will swallow as I enjoy a couple of nights there....

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, kinyara said:

If you can point me in the direction of a comfortable pub in Pattaya where I can have a choice of draught ciders for 130 baht a pint I'd be most grateful. 

I don't know about a choice of them but Fever in L K Metro for a while was doing Thatchers at 120 or 130. Not being a cider drinker or an L K  Metro punter I can't swear to it. 

On Bangkok, yes last time I was there the Royal Oak was doing Guinness at 170 in happy hour. Unless my memory is lying to me. The closest thing to cheap that I know of in BKK is the Bus Stop in Soi 4 where it's around 85 a bottle. 

• Like 1