Expats may need to take COVID-19 test in order to renew extensions of stay: Richard Barrow

Jonathan Fairfield

8 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I think it is you who is wrong, the non-OA visa is required for insurance, not any kind of tests.

But you do have to provide an official medical certificate stating you are clear of the listed conditions (whether the Dr signing off on it in the home country actually tests is up to them), which is what I believe Boomer was referring to. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/16/2021 at 8:50 PM, jackdd said:

This order has nothing to do with extensions, this is just wrong information. How about some fact checking before sharing something?

It was also decided several months ago, as you can see from my thread to which you poster above linked, nothing really new here.

Besides that, I don't understand the big fuss... A negative test is required for anyone anywhere in the world wanting to enter another country...

1 minute ago, jomtienisgood said:

A negative test is required for anyone anywhere in the world wanting to enter another country...

Not really, some countries are just starting to apply that restriction a lot of others still don't.

3 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

Besides that, I don't understand the big fuss

Apart from the "story" being <deleted>, hypothetically the fuss is over unnecessary bureaucracy and with the bonus of extra cost to the individual (4-10K for a test I believe) which guarantees pages in double digits of whinging even after it's been proven as <deleted>.

13 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

AFAIR Richard Barrow himself mentioned it in his Facebook post where he reported about the new law. It’s either in the main post itself or in the comments section. Pretty sure I saw it there. 

//edit: here’s the screenshot from his Facebook post:

FE2BAB8D-8A94-40D1-BC5A-6DDA7AE2746B.jpeg

As many times: I heard from a friend who's relative has heard from his wife who knows the neighbor's cleaning staff...... 

5 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Not really, some countries are just starting to apply that restriction a lot of others still don't.

Apart from the "story" being <deleted>, hypothetically the fuss is over unnecessary bureaucracy and with the bonus of extra cost to the individual (4-10K for a test I believe) which guarantees pages in double digits of whinging even after it's been proven as <deleted>.

I agree but a majority of countries require the test already. About spreading rumors: did you have a look at Th news this morning where they mention the 'problems' with the vaccine in Norway?????

7 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

I agree but a majority of countries require the test already.

It's definitely getting that way and I'd be surprised if more than a handful don't eventually implement it; but in the hypothetical we're talking about people that have (most likely given the current travel restrictions) been in-country for the past year and if they haven't have had to have a minimum of 3 tests and a bout of quarantine prior to being able to apply for an extension. Hence, superfluous and pointless bureaucracy.

Re Norway, yes been keeping up with it since it first broke. Given it's off-topic all I'll say is it sucks to be old (on average there are around 400 people, in that demographic and situation, die per week in Norway regardless of vaccine).

• Like 1