Expats may need to take COVID-19 test in order to renew extensions of stay: Richard Barrow

Jonathan Fairfield

14 minutes ago, rabas said:

Your summary of the video does not seem to convey quite what he said about work permit applications by Expats. He said tests will not be required. Rather than fall into the same trap of Thai complexity, I'll let you and others listen, it starts at about 4.00 minutes.

He clearly says from next month all foreign workers require covid free tests. Quote" However the Labour Ministry has informed that they are currently in the process of including covid 19 in the list of diseases that foreign workers must submit.  The new regulation is expected to be effective next month so please keep yourself updated on the issue."

31 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

He clearly says from next month all foreign workers require covid free tests. Quote" However the Labour Ministry has informed that they are currently in the process of including covid 19 in the list of diseases that foreign workers must submit.  The new regulation is expected to be effective next month so please keep yourself updated on the issue."

That's why I suggested people listen. I do not understand "including covid-19 in a list of diseases people must submit" to mean requiring a covid-19 test.

Since his previous statement carefully clarified tests are not required at least now, surely he would have mentioned 'test' if it will be required next month. I would guess the disease list comes from a doctor interview. But I don't want to be in the position of trying to clarify Thai rules and regulations.

Even so, this would not support that covid-19 tests are required for renewal of stay.

Edited by rabas
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, rabas said:

That's why I suggested people listen. I do not understand "including covid-19 in a list of diseases people must submit" to mean requiring a covid-19 test.

Since his previous statement carefully clarified tests are not required at least now, surely he would have mentioned 'test' if it will be required next month. I would guess the disease list comes from a doctor interview. But I don't want to be in the position of trying to clarify Thai rules and regulations.

Even so, this would not support that covid-19 tests are required for renewal of stay.

Valid points and thereby is the problem, nothing is clear even from the authorities hence why the issue is a topic and Richard raised it.

4 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Valid points and thereby is the problem, nothing is clear even from the authorities hence why the issue is a topic and Richard raised it.

Did you watch the CCSA briefing in English on Saturday.  Have a look what was said at four minutes and 12 seconds

49 minutes ago, rabas said:

My understanding of this is they plan to add covid-19 to the list of diseases on the medical certificate we all get now stating we don't have any from the list of diseases (currently we do not get tests for TB, leprosy etc) so I see nothing that suggests a physical test, it's just to 'certify' that you have no covid symptoms, as asked by the doctor before he issues the certificate.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JAS21 said:

Did you watch the CCSA briefing in English on Saturday.  Have a look what was said at four minutes and 12 seconds

From what was said in this briefing it's not clear if an actual test will be required, or if the doctor can do it by visual inspection like all the other diseases on this list.

This is also only related to work permits, it has nothing to do with immigration, and won't affect people who are not working here.

Edited by jackdd

6 minutes ago, brucegoniners said:

Typical Thailand, lots of statements but no plan.

The big plan is still the same as ever.

Get out Falang and leave wallet on front desk.

Now get back on airplane.

Bye , thank you very big.

Edited by quake
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1