Expats may need to take COVID-19 test in order to renew extensions of stay: Richard Barrow

Jonathan Fairfield

It is not really clear to me.

If I live in Thailand long time already and go for retired visa extension, I have to make beside my bank status now also a PCR Test?

What happen if it is positive?

I have my insurance which cover covid19.

I can go and treat my covid in a Thai Hospital and pay for it on my own. 

Or shall I have to leave the country with active covid and fever?

How? To where? In which time? 7 days?

When they want to get back the tourist into Thailand?

5 Mill in 2021?

My beloved has chronical leukemia and her months or years are limited. Think about to look for another country after she pass!

I feel more value for me as the government do to me as a dog 

2 hours ago, EddyGallagher said:

I just renewed mine based on marriage it didn’t even come up lol, wasn’t even mentioned. Honestly I stopped reading these articles a while ago. 

I understand the new law will come into effect by the end of this month. 

But apparently some foreigners already got asked for a Covid test when they went to get their visa extension. 

Ok.  I pop positive on whatever test the government wishes to use as the kool-aide acid test.   Been here for 13 years supporting my family.

Now - test Covid positive and you're persona non-grata?  Then lets see.  Expensive foreigner quarantines, special addendum to the annual stay for "males supporting Thai wifes and families', additional regualtion for dirty foreigners - and why not - let just kick you out.  

To the Thai government - honestly you ass****s.  You have done nothing but attempt to destroy families comprised of foreign men married to Thai women since I've been here.  Why stop now?

Do IT!  We are just DIRTY FOREIGN SCUM, so get behind your rhetoric and - Do IT!.

Thanks for the "heads up".  I'll be preparing to leave.  And I leave a wake of sorrow in my path.  Are you SOBs going to take care of my wife, my son, and my family?  I already know the answer - "No". 

• Confused 1

EVERYBODY is going to get CV19.  and 99.94% are going to recover just fine.  And then, they might get it again just like flu's, cold's, etc.

they are putting an ejection seat for people that get it?  What is this?  AIDS fear 1985 again?

You get a vaccination, you test positive.  So don't get a vax?

Most people I know cleared up their covid in just a few days.

This is nuts.  Time to get to Bali before they just pull the rug.

Honestly Richard B getting this in open is a good thing, because it will get huge negative attention for what it is.

BTW...is it only certain countries that are 'foreign'?  or all non-Thai?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, connda said:

To the Thai government - honestly you ass****s.  You have done nothing but attempt to destroy families comprised of foreign men married to Thai women since I've been here.

Of course they do not want Foreigners marrying a Thai lady.  More money extracted by foreigners who pay many Thai ladies every week.  Macro economics ????????????????

Thais especially do not want you to have children with a Thai.  That puts them out of work and then you have to spend too much of your pension on a child who cannot work for 18 years????

Hmm, Okay, Covid 19 situation world wide is very important at present...yes? I can understand that they might want these extra checks for those who have work permits and the like since they are more likely to, or must do by the nature of their job, come in contact with various people every day. But if immigration was concerned about expats in general, and retirees in particular, why wait until the next extension and issue the new instruction at the 90 day report?

• Like 1

For newly incoming people as part of their visa application, generally this would make sense. But since there’s a quite invasive quarantine process (with several Covid tests) in place already, it also seems a bit redundant. 

For those already in the country, I guess one may argue that carrying out more tests is always good. But, of course, only subjecting foreigners to mandatory regular testing seems illogical at best or even discriminating for some, as the virus doesn’t care about nationality. 

My biggest concern is how they plan to use the test result for the actual process. If they deny the extension based on this, it would be a bummer.  Then you better self-quarantine some weeks before your appointment as a precaution. 

Edited by welovesundaysatspace

The PCR Test is not admitted for diagnostic purposes. It measures small virus fragments which may well result from a successful defence reaction of the body's immune system. So this PCR Test has a high rate of false positives. It is illegal now in Portugal and Bosnia to use it for diagnosis.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

For newly incoming people as part of their visa application, generally this would make sense. But since there’s a quite invasive quarantine process (with several Covid tests) in place already, it also seems a bit redundant. 

For those already in the country, I guess one may argue that carrying out more tests is always good. But, of course, only subjecting foreigners to mandatory regular testing seems illogical at best or even discriminating for some, as the virus doesn’t care about nationality. 

My biggest concern is how they plan to use the test result for the actual process. If they deny the extension based on this, it would be a bummer.  Then you better self-quarantine some weeks before your appointment as a precaution. 

Not sure how self-quarantining would help. How do you prove to an immigration officer that you have that you have been self-quarantining for weeks? An affidavit ? Like they would believe you?? It would become another of the worlds greatest lies, along with the check is in the post and I promise I wont come in your mouth. Good luck with that.

4 minutes ago, my friend you said:

The PCR Test is not admitted for diagnostic purposes.

Utter nonsense that has no scientific foundation and is only being touted by conspiracy theorists. 

So this PCR Test has a high rate of false positives.

Same as above, utter nonsense. The specificity and sensitivity numbers say the exact opposite. 

It is illegal now in Portugal and Bosnia to use it for diagnosis.

No, it’s not. 

(Just for fun: How would you test if any of the above was only remotely true? Use your local mor-doo?)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Not sure how self-quarantining would help. How do you prove to an immigration officer that you have that you have been self-quarantining for weeks? An affidavit ? Like they would believe you??

Self-quarantine not to replace the test, but to make sure that you don’t catch the virus exactly during the time when you need to go for your extension. 

So if some expat test positive, are they going to kick them out.  If the expat is positive it's highly likely there are locals in his or her area who are also positive. If the expat is positive and treated then what ?  He or she has been all over the community so why only test them ? It seems the Thai government has many people with too much time on their hands and not many brain cells. Some of their decisions, ideals and logic are utterly ridiculous. OR they're simply looking to create more ways to bilk money out of foreigners

8 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Got a link? If that was so, the various forums would be in meltdown.

AFAIR Richard Barrow himself mentioned it in his Facebook post where he reported about the new law. It’s either in the main post itself or in the comments section. Pretty sure I saw it there. 

//edit: here’s the screenshot from his Facebook post:

FE2BAB8D-8A94-40D1-BC5A-6DDA7AE2746B.jpeg

Edited by welovesundaysatspace