Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS) for Desktop PC

I haven't used one of these before, but the power supply in Thailand is a bit less reliable than than the UK so I think one of these is probably a good idea. It would provide some surge protection and switch to battery in the case of a short power cut, for as long as the battery lasts. Any recommendations ?  Something like the one below ?  300w would be sufficient,  the PC wouldn't be pulling anywhere near that.

APC BV500i-MS Easy-UPS 500VA(300Watt) Universal Sockets by NewVision4U.Net | Lazada.co.th

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just the PC, no worries if the internet goes down.

On the small APC units it's not possible to turn the warning sound off, so if electricity is gone it beeps once per minute quite loud. This is quite annoying if it happens at 3am when I actually

My last APC had none of such audible alarm. Upon failing completely and opening it up it was clear why. After some rattling noise when turning the box, upon removing casing, speaker fell out... Well,

Posted Images

Personally, I'd go for something with a bit more oomph purely to get the bigger battery (all my baby units have external batteries installed).

The BV500i-MS only has a 54Whr battery (12V 4.5Ah) which would give you about 5-10 minutes of backup before it shuts down, enough for you to save your work and shutdown your PC but not a lot else.

• Like 1

Thanks, so the 800i. Wise to have a bit more in reserve.

APC Easy UPS BV800I-MS (800VA/450Watt) เครื่องสำรองไฟสำหรับคอมพิวเตอร์งานกราฟฟิก กันกระชาก มี Auto Start | Lazada.co.th

I'll research some more but now this has jogged my memory,  APC is a well respected name so is indeed a good choice.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

Yeah, that has the same battery as I'm using externally on my baby units.

I'm also in the process of converting my UPS's (4 x 300VA, 2 x 1500VA) to LiFePO4 batteries when the lead acid batteries fail.

The 300VA units run the TVs and the 1500VA units my desktop PC, routers and NAS. Keeps everything alive whilst the genset starts.

Sorry, related question, I'm trying to find a kettle lead for the computer with a Thai plug, 

i.e. here is the UK version

▷ OcUK Value C13 UK Kettle Lead 1.8m 5A fuse | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk)

On Lazada all I can find are "extension cords"

สายไฟ AC คอมพิวเตอร์ แบบดี เส้นใหญ่ ( Power Extension Cord US 3-Pin Power Supply Lead Extension Cable ) สำหรับ Desktop PC , Computer , Monitor , Printer ,TV (1.0mmx3) ยาว 5M ( 5 เมตร ) | Lazada.co.th

These are the same thing ? Extension cord has totally different meaning, is it just a translation thing ?

12 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

Sorry, related question, I'm trying to find a kettle lead for the computer with a Thai plug, 

i.e. here is the UK version

▷ OcUK Value C13 UK Kettle Lead 1.8m 5A fuse | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk)

On Lazada all I can find are "extension cords"

สายไฟ AC คอมพิวเตอร์ แบบดี เส้นใหญ่ ( Power Extension Cord US 3-Pin Power Supply Lead Extension Cable ) สำหรับ Desktop PC , Computer , Monitor , Printer ,TV (1.0mmx3) ยาว 5M ( 5 เมตร ) | Lazada.co.th

These are the same thing ? Extension cord has totally different meaning, is it just a translation thing ?

Yes it is the same thing, but longer. It is 5 metres as opposed to normal length of about a metre, probably why referred to as extension.

You should be able to get normal length in a Tuk Com or try an open air market, they often have people selling all sort of cables and things.

4 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

Bit pricey, I bought one for my laptop recently(round sockets) from Tuk Com and that was about 80 baht but certainly lazada is a lot more convenient, I use them a lot.

Yes, I'll go for the 3m and 5m ones in the first link - 95 baht for the 3 metre one.

Edited by Tuvoc
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Tuvoc said:

APC Easy UPS BV800I-MS (800VA/450Watt) เครื่องสำรองไฟสำหรับคอมพิวเตอร์งานกราฟฟิก กันกระชาก มี Auto Start | Lazada.co.th

I'll research some more but now this has jogged my memory,  APC is a well respected name so is indeed a good choice.

What you need to bear in mind that if there is a power cut, every chance the internet will go off as the distribution box loses power.

Choice will depend on what you actually need to protect.

• Like 1

On the small APC units it's not possible to turn the warning sound off, so if electricity is gone it beeps once per minute quite loud.

This is quite annoying if it happens at 3am when I actually don't care about it. I opened my unit and removed the speaker (it's soldered on), which solved this problem, but if I had known this before I would have chosen another unit.

5 hours ago, sandyf said:

What you need to bear in mind that if there is a power cut, every chance the internet will go off as the distribution box loses power.

One could assume this (I did so as well before I had an UPS), but it's wrong. Since I bought my UPS I've stayed at three different locations, the internet stays on when the electricity goes off.

• Like 2

Modern PCs use a lot less power than PCs from a couple of years ago.

You can easily put a powerful PC, monitor, router, etc. on a small CPU.

You won't be able to play demanding games for 1/2 hour on battery but for most power cuts it will be good enough.

And many UPS have a PC connection for automatic shutdown.

About the quality: APC has a good reputation but I also have APC UPS fail after 13 month - just after the warranty expired.

If people want just a simple UPS I recommend buy a cheap one with the longest warranty (including the battery).

8 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You can easily put a powerful PC, monitor, router, etc. on a small CPU.

You won't be able to play demanding games for 1/2 hour on battery but for most power cuts it will be good enough.

And many UPS have a PC connection for automatic shutdown.

If you do this you have a run time of maybe one or two minutes, just enough to safe your documents and shut the computer down.