SURVEY: Are you comfortable taking the Sinovac vaccine?

Scott

SURVEY: Are you comfortable taking the Sinovac vaccine?  

356 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, connda said:

Me?  Sure!   Yeah, me and 10 other people who aren't China-phobes. <laughs>

It' my preference.  Hope I can find access to the vaccine.  Should be easier considering that most Westerners also detest everything to do with China.
I look at where I live and why I moved here.  I'm not among the China-phobes.  If I had children I'd have them enrolled in Mandarin courses. 
Sorry farang but the future is not in the West.  It's in Asia, SE Asia, Central Asia, Eurasia, and China. 
When you reject their technology out of vile partisanship you're just a dupe and a fool.  It's funny.  Along the same ethnocentric lines, I still know farang expats living here who won't eat street food because "it's dirty."  I have been sick after eating here in Thailand twice in over a decade.  Never from street food.  Both times from Western multinational fast-food outlets - which are clean. Right?  Then you apply that same prejudice toward China and all Chinese people.
"Dirty Chinese!"  Considering where you live?  You may considering checking you built-in prejudices that you imported with you from your home country. 

Hey, I have an experiment.  Contact your US, UK, or EU embassy and ask them how they are going to help you! - one of their beloved citizens - get one of their own, high-quality, best-of-the-technology vaccines.  No doubt the State Department will send US citizens two personalized ampules of Moderna mRna vaccine because American exceptionalism beats all and the United States takes care of all their expatriated citizen who are spreading the word of liberty and democracy in a rules based international order.  Yeppers.  They gonna take good care of you!  You can bet on it!

FYI - You live on the other side of the world - in Asia.  You ought to try checking your nationalistic prejudices if you plan to continue living here.  Be a good neighbour.  Try detente.

Bit of a rant there, it is about a barely legal efficacy rate of 50.4% against one in the high 90's ! Which would you want? it sure is nothing to do with who produced it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, stuandjulie said:

Bit of a rant there, it is about a barely legal efficacy rate of 50.4% against one in the high 90's ! Which would you want? it sure is nothing to do with who produced it.

I would take it in a heartbeat if that was all that was available to me right now.  I believe flu vaccines can be as low as 20% efficacy sometimes.  So 50% can still be effective and nothing to sneeze at, pun intended.

Edited by shdmn

2 hours ago, stuandjulie said:

The efficacy rate of flu jabs ranges from 30% to 60%. I wonder why so many farangs are okay with those low figures. Over here in Malaysia, all my friends and relatives have never taken any flu jab before.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, geisha said:

The Chinese have brought the worlds economy to its knees, and now they are buying up all the land and property they can find worth it abroad. Even in Germany. Here in France a lot of people have sworn  to not buy Chinese goods anymore. I know the serious restaurants have turned down Chinese products and favored Vietnamese even though they are more expensive. I look at all my labels now. I have seen the Chinese food products and I can promis you it’s not good. 

Good luck looking for the source of the ingredients in all the medicines that you take. 

COVID-19 exposed dependence of world, India on China for active pharma ingredients

Don't be a hypocrite! Start throwing all your medicines away!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, G950 said:

Trust is a big part of vaccines which invariable comes through clean 3rd party verified data further backed up by numerous independent international scientists 

The Chinese government fails in all points above, hence it is not xenophobic to simply opt for another vaccine that has had been verified  by better, cleaner more independent data.

Verified by independent scientists? Are you okay with this?

Peter Doshi: Pfizer and Moderna’s “95% effective” vaccines—we need more details and the raw data

Nor do we know enough about the processes of the primary event adjudication committees that counted covid-19 cases. Were they blinded to antibody data and information on patients’ symptoms in the first week after vaccination?  What criteria did they employ, and why, with a primary event consisting of a patient-reported outcome (covid-19 symptoms) and PCR test result, was such a committee even necessary? It’s also important to understand who was on these committees. While Moderna has named its four-member adjudication committee—all university-affiliated physicians—Pfizer’s protocol says three Pfizer employees did the work. Yes, Pfizer staff members.

16 minutes ago, Selatan said:

Good luck looking for the source of the ingredients in all the medicines that you take. 

COVID-19 exposed dependence of world, India on China for active pharma ingredients

Don't be a hypocrite! Start throwing all your medicines away!!!!!!

The difference with medicines is that every single one that reaches the Western world is checked and go through thorough testing before being allowed. Sometimes it’s so rigorous it takes years. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, geisha said:

The difference with medicines is that every single one that reaches the Western world is checked and go through thorough testing before being allowed. Sometimes it’s so rigorous it takes years. 

But most importantly, the active ingredients were mainly from China! Still have to throw the medicines away, right?

Oh if you think you are only going for Pfizer's vaccine, the manufacturer might be from China - Fosun Pharma.

China's Fosun plans plant to make BioNTech's COVID-19 vaccine -Caixin

Fosun has invested $135 million into BioNTech in exchange for 1.58m BioNTech shares and the right to market the vaccine in China, Hong Kong and Macau. Still have to pay China somewhat, if you are taking the Pfizer vaccine.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, shdmn said:

I would take it in a heartbeat if that was all that was available to me right now.  I believe flu vaccines can be as low as 20% efficacy sometimes.  So 50% can still be effective and nothing to sneeze at, pun intended.

The openness of data is a question for me.  But if it is in fact accurate, 50% efficacy reduces the risk of infection by half.  So if that was my only choice I would take it.

1 hour ago, Selatan said:

The efficacy rate of flu jabs ranges from 30% to 60%. I wonder why so many farangs are okay with those low figures. Over here in Malaysia, all my friends and relatives have never taken any flu jab before.

Efficacy is an indication of reduction of your risk of getting the target infection.  So if I can decrease my risk by one third or two thirds I will take it.  From a lot of discussion I overhear or read, people don't seem to be clear on the meaning of "efficacy".   I understand that in Africa (where there is recent experience of deadly epidemics) vaccine hesitancy is very low.  I gotta say I have zero fear of smallpox or polio and they didn't go away spontaneously.  So there is a pretty good case for getting the jab IMHO.

• Like 1

I have answered two. I would take it, even if only 50% effective, as part as the collective effort against COVID. Later, if better vaccines become available from the private hospitals, I'll improve my immunity with the sole intent of protecting myself.

Edited by Boomer6969

I expect other vaccines will become available, albeit for a higher cost. My first choice is pay the higher cost, buy one of them. If they remain unavailable, likely I will get a sinovac vaccination.

BTW Given the information about sinovac we currently have. I doubt this will re start travel.   

• Like 2

Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are built on new technology, while other vaccines are done on tried, old technology. This new technology is very promising and may offer solutions for many diseases that are untreatable today. That's a big step in science. But, the challenge is not whether these vaccines work. The challenge is, with each lasting just a year, what happens when you get your 5th annual shot - will there be any serious consequences then? Auto immune responses are obviously most serious ones.

As such, as much as I welcome new technology, I'd prefer not to be a guinea pig for companies that tried and failed to get approvals for it until emergency struck.

So would I take Chinese vaccine? If Astra Zeneca's one wasn't available, yes, I would and prefer it over Pfizer or Moderna, of which last one hasn't made any vaccine before this one... like.... ever.

Edited by tomazbodner