SURVEY: Are you comfortable taking the Sinovac vaccine?

Scott

SURVEY: Are you comfortable taking the Sinovac vaccine?  

356 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

18 hours ago, mr_lob said:

I would rather rub glass in my eyes. More Chinese junk

If you have to take the vaccine to stay in the country, then why not, what exactly is the risk you are taking? Suppose like me you are from the UK, you can always get that vaccine when you are there, probably for free, is two going to be harmful to you?

The chances are you may have to take the Chinese vaccine to board your plane if you are going to the UK for a holiday in the future.

16 hours ago, tingtong said:

The Brazilian data came back as 50.3% effective.

50 being the cut point to even consider permitting at all.

Knowing Chinese companies common practice of bribery, and the miserable result, I have zero trust in this. 

I will pass on it, even for free. 

There are better alternatives.

If there are then that's fine, but I would not be happy paying thousands to line certain pockets like the Unelected "PM" and

his crew.

13 hours ago, connda said:

Me?  Sure!   Yeah, me and 10 other people who aren't China-phobes. <laughs>

It' my preference.  Hope I can find access to the vaccine.  Should be easier considering that most Westerners also detest everything to do with China.
I look at where I live and why I moved here.  I'm not among the China-phobes.  If I had children I'd have them enrolled in Mandarin courses. 
Sorry farang but the future is not in the West.  It's in Asia, SE Asia, Central Asia, Eurasia, and China. 
When you reject their technology out of vile partisanship you're just a dupe and a fool.  It's funny.  Along the same ethnocentric lines, I still know farang expats living here who won't eat street food because "it's dirty."  I have been sick after eating here in Thailand twice in over a decade.  Never from street food.  Both times from Western multinational fast-food outlets - which are clean. Right?  Then you apply that same prejudice toward China and all Chinese people.
"Dirty Chinese!"  Considering where you live?  You may considering checking you built-in prejudices that you imported with you from your home country. 

Hey, I have an experiment.  Contact your US, UK, or EU embassy and ask them how they are going to help you! - one of their beloved citizens - get one of their own, high-quality, best-of-the-technology vaccines.  No doubt the State Department will send US citizens two personalized ampules of Moderna mRna vaccine because American exceptionalism beats all and the United States takes care of all their expatriated citizen who are spreading the word of liberty and democracy in a rules based international order.  Yeppers.  They gonna take good care of you!  You can bet on it!

FYI - You live on the other side of the world - in Asia.  You ought to try checking your nationalistic prejudices if you plan to continue living here.  Be a good neighbour.  Try detente.

Kentbrockman Insect Overlord GIF - Kentbrockman InsectOverlord  Insectoverlords - Discover & Share GIFs

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tomazbodner said:

Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are built on new technology, while other vaccines are done on tried, old technology. This new technology is very promising and may offer solutions for many diseases that are untreatable today. That's a big step in science. But, the challenge is not whether these vaccines work. The challenge is, with each lasting just a year, what happens when you get your 5th annual shot - will there be any serious consequences then? Auto immune responses are obviously most serious ones.

As such, as much as I welcome new technology, I'd prefer not to be a guinea pig for companies that tried and failed to get approvals for it until emergency struck.

So would I take Chinese vaccine? If Astra Zeneca's one wasn't available, yes, I would and prefer it over Pfizer or Moderna, of which last one hasn't made any vaccine before this one... like.... ever.

That's only half of the story, there's 4 different techniques used and there's even more in vaccine that didnt pass trial yet...

BioNtech/Pfizer & Moderna - mRNA which leaves your body within days, it simply tells ur tcells how to protect from sars cov 2 spike protein

AstraZeneca & Sputnik V - Vector Vaccine using adenovirus to carry modified spike protein which makes your body produce its own vaccine. Cheaper to produce but also slower to produce as mRNA

Novavax, Sanofi and GlaxoSmithKline - protein subunit vaccine, using nanoparticles as a base covered with genetically engineering spike protein. They use baculovirus in a moth to produce the spike protein 

Sinovac and Sinopharm - uses an inactivated virus -- one of the oldest methods for vaccinating people. Whole batches of coronavirus are grown, "killed" and then made into vaccine.

So no, will never use the chinese stuff, it's tech we no longer use in the world, would take russian Sputnik one over this.... If you think that mRNA vaccine is the most invasive i also have some bad news for you.

As such, as much as I welcome new technology, I'd prefer not to be a guinea pig for companies that tried and failed to get approvals for it until emergency struck.

This is rubbish, bioNtech founders produced tons of cancer threatments this way already and sold their company, they also worked on flu vaccine for pfizer with mRNA tech. 

There aren't many vaccines based on this (but other stuff) because it was never financially feasible before to produce, not because they didn't pass trials.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, mr_lob said:

I would rather rub glass in my eyes. More Chinese junk

It may prove to be safer than the mRNA vaccines (which are nevertheless likely safe).

The main thing about all these vaccines is that they appear to prevent serious illness and death.  I'll run the risk of getting a cold.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

No. If I am going to get a vaccine, I will stick with the Moderna, or the Pfizer, which are both showing the greatest degree of efficacy. No Chinese junk vaccine for my family. I buy plenty of other Chinese products. 

Pfiizer really,let me know how you go when decision time comes

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, stuandjulie said:

Bit of a rant there, it is about a barely legal efficacy rate of 50.4% against one in the high 90's ! Which would you want? it sure is nothing to do with who produced it.

The question of choice you suggest was not proposed. The question being : would you be comfortable ( not Southern) with Sinovac.....????

10 hours ago, cdemundo said:

Efficacy is an indication of reduction of your risk of getting the target infection.  So if I can decrease my risk by one third or two thirds I will take it.  From a lot of discussion I overhear or read, people don't seem to be clear on the meaning of "efficacy".   I understand that in Africa (where there is recent experience of deadly epidemics) vaccine hesitancy is very low.  I gotta say I have zero fear of smallpox or polio and they didn't go away spontaneously.  So there is a pretty good case for getting the jab IMHO.

Yes, not sure why many people have the wrong idea that only 50% of the people are protected if the efficacy rate is 50%. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, possum1931 said:

If you have to take the vaccine to stay in the country, then why not, what exactly is the risk you are taking? Suppose like me you are from the UK, you can always get that vaccine when you are there, probably for free, is two going to be harmful to you?

The chances are you may have to take the Chinese vaccine to board your plane if you are going to the UK for a holiday in the future.

I am in Portugal, no sweet n sour vaccine for me!

Edited by mr_lob
  • Haha 2

The jury is out. 

“The protection rate for 1,394 participants who received doses of either CoronaVac or placebo three weeks apart was nearly 70%, a Sinovac spokesman said.”

“Britain has also decided to allow a longer gap between doses of a COVID-19 vaccine from Pfizer and BioNTech, even though the companies say they only have efficacy data for a shorter period between shots.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-vaccine-sinovac/sinovac-says-its-covid-19-vaccine-more-effective-with-longer-dosing-interval-idINKBN29N13R

14 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

That's only half of the story, there's 4 different techniques used and there's even more in vaccine that didnt pass trial yet...

BioNtech/Pfizer & Moderna - mRNA which leaves your body within days, it simply tells ur tcells how to protect from sars cov 2 spike protein

AstraZeneca & Sputnik V - Vector Vaccine using adenovirus to carry modified spike protein which makes your body produce its own vaccine. Cheaper to produce but also slower to produce as mRNA

Novavax, Sanofi and GlaxoSmithKline - protein subunit vaccine, using nanoparticles as a base covered with genetically engineering spike protein. They use baculovirus in a moth to produce the spike protein 

Sinovac and Sinopharm - uses an inactivated virus -- one of the oldest methods for vaccinating people. Whole batches of coronavirus are grown, "killed" and then made into vaccine.

So no, will never use the chinese stuff, it's tech we no longer use in the world, would take russian Sputnik one over this.... If you think that mRNA vaccine is the most invasive i also have some bad news for you.

This is rubbish, bioNtech founders produced tons of cancer threatments this way already and sold their company, they also worked on flu vaccine for pfizer with mRNA tech. 

There aren't many vaccines based on this (but other stuff) because it was never financially feasible before to produce, not because they didn't pass trials.

Thank you for some good information.

Great to see someone who spent time and effort to have an informed opinion.

Unfortunately the exception rather than the rule.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

I have answered two. I would take it, even if only 50% effective, as part as the collective effort against COVID. Later, if better vaccines become available from the private hospitals, I'll improve my immunity with the sole intent of protecting myself.

Ok, boomer

????