Is it what people call good Thai food ? What do you think about this dish ?

l4ml4m

Khon Kaen  Morning Market. , less than 15 minutes away from our house. Everything fresh most of the days we are not too lazy to go, and Sadly the highlight of my day. LOL

No need to be refrigerated anything . Tops market at Central market  a couple of minutes away from the Morning market for those  specialty items and fresh baked bread. 

We are not in Thailand right now, we got stuck in the US with the Pandemic, we hope to make our way back this spring after we are vaccinated. I heard that the market was closed for a little while, because of the pandemic. Anyone knows anything about it?

Can't wait to get back, home  to Thailand. In the meantime I am hanging out  with my many thai farmer wives in Florida, trying to teach them perfect English. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, l4ml4m said:

i was waiting for this kind if bla bla bla...

I am so sure that all your farmer wives cook the most healthy food in the world and know exactly what means "healthy" ! By the way, they also all speak perfect English ! it's famous !

funny you...

I speak Thai with my GF, she speaks English with me. Neither of us well, doesn't matter.

The first dish is black pepper chicken at a local restaurant in Chiang Rai, 139 baht.

Omelet, kaow pat goong, and pad pat ruam all cooked for me by my GF.

You got a bad dish at a restaurant, move on.

IMG20200616131131.jpg

IMG20200613090431.jpg

IMG20200612191834.jpg

IMG20200522193533.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sirineou said:

... My wife makes me a killer tofu pad kra pao .  ...

My wife's been making great vegetarian food for me for 42 years.  She's very picky about food prep.  I think many of her friends prefer her cooking to their own, though that may be because it's free.   555

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Salerno said:

OK, now we've established your benchmark, what other establishments for fine cuisine do you recommend?

Cruel........but necessary ???????????? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, sirineou said:

...  Here in the US, she has ruined going out to Thai restaurants ,when ever we do,  I am always disappointed because her cooking is alway soo much better.  ...

We rarely eat out.  If I did eat at a Thai restaurant, it would probably be at my sis-in-law's Thai restaurant in MD or the place in VA where my bro-in-law is the chef. (He's actually a mechanic, but he knows how to eat.)

Last year, my wife visited a friend in Tampa, FL.  Lots of Thai food at a really nice Thai temple.  And they went to a farmer's market not too far off - loads of fresh vegetables and Asian sellers.

Just now, Damrongsak said:

We rarely eat out.  If I did eat at a Thai restaurant, it would probably be at my sis-in-law's Thai restaurant in MD or the place in VA where my bro-in-law is the chef. (He's actually a mechanic, but he knows how to eat.)

Last year, my wife visited a friend in Tampa, FL.  Lots of Thai food at a really nice Thai temple.  And they went to a farmer's market not too far off - loads of fresh vegetables and Asian sellers.

We are lucky to have a very large Thai and Cambodian  Community in our area, There is a large Asian market with in 10 min from our US house ,run by a Cambodian family with everything Thai a person could ever want. I love those small round eggplants, my wife makes a great green curry with them. MD and Virginia is beautiful country, My Daughter just moved to Asheville NC and I went there to visit. We went to  Mount Mitchel , that is supposed to be the highest mountain in the eastern USA, the view was breathtaking. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I always make my Chicken and cashews with oyster sauce,

not chilli sauce as in first picture

regards worgeordie 

I make it with a dash of each of the following: oyster sauce, medium-strength chilli paste with soibean oil, fish sauce and a flavouring sauce. It's a lot of sauces, I know....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

They all are, Thai food is the most overrated food in the world 

Funny that you say that.

Indeed Thai food is rated very high globally. 

In that sense I would agree it is overrated and by contrast Filipino food is underrated (as it's rated very low globally). 

No I'm not saying Thai food doesn't deserve a high rating but it's relative. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, sirineou said:

Khon Kaen  Morning Market. , less than 15 minutes away from our house. Everything fresh most of the days we are not too lazy to go, and Sadly the highlight of my day. LOL

No need to be refrigerated anything . Tops market at Central market  a couple of minutes away from the Morning market for those  specialty items and fresh baked bread. 

We are not in Thailand right now, we got stuck in the US with the Pandemic, we hope to make our way back this spring after we are vaccinated. I heard that the market was closed for a little while, because of the pandemic. Anyone knows anything about it?

Can't wait to get back, home  to Thailand. In the meantime I am hanging out  with my many thai farmer wives in Florida, trying to teach them perfect English. 

8 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I speak Thai with my GF, she speaks English with me. Neither of us well, doesn't matter.

The first dish is black pepper chicken at a local restaurant in Chiang Rai, 139 baht.

Omelet, kaow pat goong, and pad pat ruam all cooked for me by my GF.

You got a bad dish at a restaurant, move on.

IMG20200616131131.jpg

IMG20200613090431.jpg

IMG20200612191834.jpg

IMG20200522193533.jpg

Drinking Archa beer takes away any credibility, ahahaa 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Madgee said:

You really are a sad MF. 

Come up to the 'boonies' where some of the real Thai cuisine is and sample the local food (excluding bugs!).

Your ''bla bla bla...'' is so comical. My missus is a total health freak when it comes to cooking. She only uses locally grown vegetables from the farmers market that she buys daily in the early morning. Not a farmers wife, a mid-rank admin Gov. official actually. 

Please desist in your insults to people that you have no understanding or knowledge of. 

As for the local eateries: most are satisfactory and some are very good. A 'Thai' Chinese restaurant nearby does a superb sweet and sour chicken with cashew nuts very similar to the Ops picture but without it swimming in oil. (no tomatoes)  

You must be quite proud of her. Just make sure she is using high quality oil, as so many Thai dishes are pan fried, or fried. Rice bran, and sunflower are easy to get here, and inexpensive. The difference in saturated fat, between those oils and the standard junk like soybean, cottonseed, "vegetable oil", and many others is very significant. Could mean the difference between high cholesterol or a healthy heart, liver and circulatory system. My top choice is rice bran as it seems to have less omega 6, and it has a very neutral and pleasant taste. The quality of the cooking oils is the top reason for cooking at home, instead of eating out alot, as 99.9% of the restaurants I have found here go for the cheapest, and therefore the most toxic cooking oils. 

The overabundance of omega-6 fatty acids increases the risk of inflammation, cardiovascular disease, cancer, and autoimmune diseases. 

https://foodbabe.com/cooking-oils/

Soy is high in phytic acid and trypsin inhibitors which means that it blocks the absorption of many vitamins, minerals and proteins. It also contains phytoestrogens that can mimic estrogen in the body and disrupt normal hormone function which could possibly lead to increased cancer risk.

To create canola oil, one must take the crude oil that has been heat extracted from rape seeds (what canola oil is made from) and refine, bleach and deodorize it. The fact that canola oil is processed under high heat causes it to go rancid, which then creates the need for industrial carcinogenic bleaches and deodorizers like hexane.

https://healyeatsreal.com/5-cooking-oils-think-healthybut-arent/

Rice bran oil may support healthy blood sugar levels by improving insulin resistance, a risk factor for type 2 diabetes. Several compounds in rice bran oil have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects. One of these compounds is oryzanol, which has been shown to suppress several enzymes that promote inflammation. Its high smoke point means that it’s suitable for high-temperature cooking. Moreover, its beneficial compounds, such as oryzanol and tocotrienols, are well preserved when cooked.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/rice-bran-oil#The-bottom-line 

• Thanks 1

On 1/17/2021 at 7:44 AM, l4ml4m said:

nice to see that you clearly know nothing about thai food

It is nice to see a fully qualified farang Thai chef once in a while.

I presume from your comments that you ARE a fully qualified farang Thai chef.

If you get 50 chefs/cooks together and give them all the same ingredients they ask for to make the same meal, you will get 50 slightly differing results.

When I try to cook the same meal that my wife cooks for me it tastes different.

• Like 1

Why should it taste like tomato? This is stir-fried chicken with cashew nuts and vegetables. And there are thousands of ways to cook it.

But certainly none of it should contain tomato sauce. If tomato then some sliced tomato tossed in, but that's all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Rice bran oil may support healthy blood sugar levels by improving insulin resistance, a risk factor for type 2 diabetes. Several compounds in rice bran oil have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects. One of these compounds is oryzanol, which has been shown to suppress several enzymes that promote inflammation. Its high smoke point means that it’s suitable for high-temperature cooking. Moreover, its beneficial compounds, such as oryzanol and tocotrienols, are well preserved when cooked.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/rice-bran-oil#The-bottom-line 

Totally agree. A bit more expensive but at least you know it's not s..t

11 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Totally agree. A bit more expensive but at least you know it's not s..t

The difference in cost is about 20-25 baht per liter. A liter of oil goes a long way in my home, and my wife cooks alot. The real question is, is the health and well being of you and your family worth 20 baht a month extra? It is partly about conditioning, as many Thai women do not like to change their routines. You just have to tell them, I will not eat food prepared with that junk oil anymore. Ok honey? Let us step up this program, one notch. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I've heard of wine snobs, I didn't know it was possible to be a beer snob.

You'd better believe it - look at this lot https://camra.org.uk/

I have to admit that I prefer "real ale" to the "fizzy pop" that some places sell, and I would never drink canned beer - bottled, perhaps - Oh...maybe I'm a beer snob too????

However, this is:offtopic2:

I have only twice found decent Thai food here in UK - a little "hole in the wall" place in King's Cross in 2011, and a restaurant called Chao Phraya in Liverpool.

Rest of the time, I believe I can cook better Thai food than is available commercially - several friends who've been to Thailand agree!

My "signature" dish is Panang Gai, but I do a reasonable Phat Kaprow Gai  - both pictured

The Panang Gai has coriander sprinkled on the top while it's cooling; this is later stirred into the dish, and I don't mince the chicken for the Phat Kaprow Gai, I chop it small.  The rice is proper Jasmine rice though.

Panang Gai 29-05-2020.jpg

PKG.jpg

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

One step below Leo.

I can't tell the difference. I do know Chang and Singha give me a headache, Leo and Archa don't.

While we may be drifting a tad off topic, I used to know a German that claimed beer was liquid bread. There's a South Australian beer that even has fibre in it.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, VBF said:

You'd better believe it - look at this lot https://camra.org.uk/

I have to admit that I prefer "real ale" to the "fizzy pop" that some places sell, and I would never drink canned beer - bottled, perhaps - Oh...maybe I'm a beer snob too????

However, this is:offtopic2:

I have only twice found decent Thai food here in UK - a little "hole in the wall" place in King's Cross in 2011, and a restaurant called Chao Phraya in Liverpool.

Rest of the time, I believe I can cook better Thai food than is available commercially - several friends who've been to Thailand agree!

My "signature" dish is Panang Gai, but I do a reasonable Phat Kaprow Gai  - both pictured

The Panang Gai has coriander sprinkled on the top while it's cooling; this is later stirred into the dish, and I don't mince the chicken for the Phat Kaprow Gai, I chop it small.  The rice is proper Jasmine rice though.

PKG.jpg

Please peel the cucumber next time.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Please peel the cucumber next time.

Why? Seriously, I wash but NEVER peel cucumber, however I serve it! (Or did  you forget to add the sarcasm emoji?) ????

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1