Car repaint (same color) with as good quality as factory paint ? is it possible ?

l4ml4m

14 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

No need for sarcasm, I have given a professional opinion - this was my job for over 30 years. I think that places me in a good position to comment.  I know nothing about computers for example, so rely on those who do for advice.

sorry no sarcasm, you misunderstood.

I am so grateful for your reply but would like some easy ways to find out if a paint shop is good or not.

What about the special paint to know the paint thickness ? is it useful ?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, salsajapan said:

I am so grateful for your reply but would like some easy ways to find out if a paint shop is good or not.

By paint thickness do you mean the viscosity of the paint or the thickness of the coating. Both are important to the painter, but neither should be important to you. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

By paint thickness do you mean the viscosity of the paint or the thickness of the coating. Both are important to the painter, but neither should be important to you. 

Why ? I think the more they use paint the better quality the result will be ?

on some expensive cars paint looks so thick !

I also heard about a special device used to know if a car has been re-sprayed after an accident, it tells you how thick is the paint, but I don't know what it is exactly.

Thank you for your help.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, salsajapan said:

Why ? I think the more they use paint the better quality the result will be ?

on some expensive cars paint looks so thick !

I also heard about a special device used to know if a car has been re-sprayed after an accident, it tells you how thick is the paint, but I don't know what it is exactly.

Thank you for your help.

You can buy coating thickness gages that work for both wet and dry paint. I have some I would be willing to part with if you really have an interest. Google coating thickness gages and it will give you an idea how they work.

A high quality paint job is generally not thicker than a low quality paint job. Thick paint generally causes a lot more problems than does thin. Orange peeling is a result of paint applied too thick and thick paint is more likely to chip, shrink and crack.

Quality paint that has visual "depth" is not generally thicker that paint that does not. Pre and post paint treatment has a lot to do with this as does the type of paint and how it is applied. 

The cost of the paint itself is typically not a large part of what a good paint job costs, and good automotive paint is generally easier to work with, yields better results and last longer than does poor quality paint, so there is not a lot of incentive for shops doing quality work to go with cheap paint. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, salsajapan said:

My apologies. Most refinsh paints these days are of decent quality. The brands that are available in Thailand seem to vary a little from those in Europe - I see names I've never heard of alongside some I'm very familiar with.  The main quality for a paint in Thailand is its abiity to withstand the sun - having never used refinish paint in the country, I don't have much knowledge of the offer in Thailand so purely based on experience, I'd prefer to choose a shop that uses one of the major European brands. Price is usually a good determinant.

As for paint thickness, I assume you mean film thickness. Believe it or not, paint adds significantly to a car's weight and therefore has an effect on its fuel usage - the F1 teams are constantly trying to reduce paint weight as are car manufacturers but they also want to reduce cost.  Thankfully, modern paints are much higher quality and far more durable than the older types so whereas it was once normal to see cars with film thicknesses of 300 - 350 microns, a decent finish with high durability can be achieved for much less.  Its been a long time since I checked a car's film thickness but I'd guess these days the average is around 200 microns.

In laymans terms, look for a shop that uses at least one coat of etch primer (if starting from bare metal), 2 coats of high build primer and at least 2, preferably 3, coats of finish for solid colour gloss.  Same priming requirements but 2 coats of base + 2, preferably 3 coats of clear. I would always pick a base and clear system in Thailand - even if the original was a solid colour gloss. The reason being, protection against the sun but the shop needs to get plenty of clear on.  You may have seen cars with dull,m almost matt, bonnets and roofs in Thailand?  That is usually caused by not enough clearcoat being applied.  Base and clear is far superior in terms of solar protection if applied correctly, but far worse than solid gloss if its not.

As for shops - word of mouth.  There are plenty of classic and custom car clubs in Thailand - those guys are usually fussy about their paint job - they should know the decent shops.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DavisH said:

He must have missed the horrid orange peel on every black benz I've seen. 

Yeah, sign of the times with the robotic painting. The paint on my boy's Civic is hideous, my wife's Fortuner is nicer, but not great.

• Haha 2

Has anybody experience with turpentine on paint ?

it seems the cheapest way to clean a car perfectly ?spray turpentine on the whole car body to remove all tree sap and tar, then wash the car.

I am wondering because after trying most ????car wash places in this country, at any price, I can confirm that no place really clean a car perfectly.

Small dots of tree sap and tar is never removed fully because they do not apply anything before cleaning.

Of course most people don't know because they have dark colored cars, but trust me, on white car you would see and understand how ridiculous are all these car wash.

After checking it seems that turpentine is cheap and available in thailand, a lot cheaper than w40 and perfectly safe, can you confirm ? have you used it ?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I have used turpentine to clean tar, but (in my experience) it is not effective on sap. 

so it would be useless to spray it on car that sits under trees ?

what is the best to use on sap, because clearly car wash places do not know or do not care...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scoupeo said:

what is the best to use on sap, because clearly car wash places do not know or do not care...

I don't know. In any event, I would not spray it on, I would wipe it on with a soft cloth. 

On 1/28/2021 at 1:09 PM, scoupeo said:

YES.  Wash the car as normal to get the dirt off, then use the white spirit, and then use washing up liquid diluted in water of course (about a tablespoon full in each gallon) to remove the white spirit. You’ll need plenty of plain water after you’ve used the washing up liquid to get the film off that might be left.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/28/2021 at 12:52 PM, scoupeo said:

Has anybody experience with turpentine on paint ?

it seems the cheapest way to clean a car perfectly ?spray turpentine on the whole car body to remove all tree sap and tar, then wash the car.

I am wondering because after trying most ????car wash places in this country, at any price, I can confirm that no place really clean a car perfectly.

Small dots of tree sap and tar is never removed fully because they do not apply anything before cleaning.

Of course most people don't know because they have dark colored cars, but trust me, on white car you would see and understand how ridiculous are all these car wash.

After checking it seems that turpentine is cheap and available in thailand, a lot cheaper than w40 and perfectly safe, can you confirm ? have you used it ?

as usual most people just know nothing here...

• Like 1

On 1/17/2021 at 4:35 PM, Yellowtail said:

Well why not take your car to a German dealership and have it painted? 

And truthfully, you seem to know nothing about paint.

You can't have everything.

A German car AND  to pay for a repaint.

On 1/17/2021 at 5:11 PM, l4ml4m said:

You want I tell you why I care about the price ? Because I do not want to become one of those driving a toyota, if you know what I mean !

so yes, I care about money because I have always and will always be driving a Benz. Understood ?

And by the way, this is our second car that I drive on rough roads, the other E-class is still in perfect condition !

On his way back from the farm.

F95AB8B6-BEBF-43A6-80DA-8382449ADE92_4_5005_c.jpeg

On 2/2/2021 at 1:06 PM, l4ml4m said:

15000 total repray by Thai living and working in New Zealand 10 years...

And the job done was a good one?

If i understand correctly your topic, i was under the impression it wasn't all about the price

you wanted also a quality work.

Also you never said where you are in Thailand

doesn't really helped for someone giving you a good adress

for example i know an excellent one here in Pattaya but it's totatlly

useless for you if you are in chiang Mai or Phuket

• Haha 1

On 1/28/2021 at 11:36 AM, Yellowtail said:

Yeah, sign of the times with the robotic painting. The paint on my boy's Civic is hideous, my wife's Fortuner is nicer, but not great.

I think paint shops can sand and remove orange peel at extra cost. Modern car paints really are not that good (not even a benz!). White pearl paints seem to hide any orange peel better. My wife's 2013 sqift actually had quite nice paint, until I got it repainted at a nissan dealer (suzuki didn't have the spray booth), and it came back with loads of orange peel. 

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2021 at 11:54 AM, kingofthemountain said:

And the job done was a good one?

If i understand correctly your topic, i was under the impression it wasn't all about the price

you wanted also a quality work.

Also you never said where you are in Thailand

doesn't really helped for someone giving you a good adress

for example i know an excellent one here in Pattaya but it's totatlly

useless for you if you are in chiang Mai or Phuket

Where in Pattaya please ?

5 hours ago, pj123 said:

I was just quoted 150,000 for a respray of an X5 from this paint shop in Bangkok.  https://www.facebook.com/doctorautoclinic/ Their Facebook shows all high end cars so I guess 150,000 for a 4-5,000,000 car may be OK but the X5 is worth about 1,200,000! 

So take it someplace that does cheap paint-jobs...

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, pj123 said:

I was just quoted 150,000 for a respray of an X5 from this paint shop in Bangkok.  https://www.facebook.com/doctorautoclinic/ Their Facebook shows all high end cars so I guess 150,000 for a 4-5,000,000 car may be OK but the X5 is worth about 1,200,000! 

150000, more expensive than in EU ! what a scam ! And they have idiots paying this price ?!

• Like 1