Two injured in explosion at pro-democracy protesters' Bangkok rally site

rooster59

Two injured in explosion at pro-democracy protesters' Bangkok rally site

By THE NATION

800_115859f1e8caf73.jpg

Two people were injured in an explosion on Rama IV Road in Bangkok, near Samyan Mitrtown complex, the site of a gathering of pro-democracy protesters on Saturday evening.

On Saturday, the protesters started gathering in front of the complex from late afternoon, demanding the release of two leaders of a group who had been arrested at the Victory Monument in the afternoon.

The sound of bomb occurred at around 6pm, and two persons were injured -- a citizen and a reporter.

The demonstrators left the scene after the incident, while Samyan Mitrtown closed early at around 6.40pm.

Source: nation.jpg
  • Sad 1

Four suspects in custody over explosion in Bangkok at pro-democracy rally site

By The Nation

800_10d1ba124ffff4d.jpg?v=1610858268

Police have detained four people suspected of allegedly exploding a ping-pong bomb on Rama IV Road in Bangkok, near Samyan Mitrtown complex, the site of a gathering of pro-democracy protesters on Saturday evening.

The four suspects -- two men and two women -- were arrested soon after the explosion occurred at around 6pm.

Four people were injured in the incident -- two police officers, a citizen and a reporter.

National Police chief Pol General Suwat Jangyodsuk has already received a report on the incident and expressed concern over the injuries to police officers.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30401357

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2021-01-18

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Just hope they're the correct ones doing the bombing?

If they were linked to anyone other than the protestors they would obviously not of been arrested. The fact people have been arrested must mean that they were either aligned to the protestors or planted there. I am sure the cyber sleuths will be onto it shortly.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

If they were linked to anyone other than the protestors they would obviously not of been arrested. The fact people have been arrested must mean that they were either aligned to the protestors or planted there. I am sure the cyber sleuths will be onto it shortly.

Or royalists up to no good again.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

National Police chief Pol General Suwat Jangyodsuk has already received a report on the incident and expressed concern over the injuries to police officers.

While the citizen and the reporter received a heartfelt "mai pen rai"

11 minutes ago, Iron Tongue said:

I'd like to understand what a "ping pong bomb" is and how does it work.  How is it launched also needs answering.

They are "launched" by hand:

image.jpeg.1a55a1e9e411de392b6097d7fe3afb5c.jpeg

Fireworks Shop Raided After Two Students Die

Edited by Enoon

Bomb-throwers at Bangkok protest hiding out in Thonburi, say police

By THE NATION

800_dfc7a36ec96d890.jpg?v=1610961809

Metropolitan Police chief Pakapong Pongpetra

Attackers who threw a bomb at a Sam Yan intersection protest on Saturday have fled to Bangkok’s Thonburi district, the Metropolitan Police Bureau said on Monday.

The attack occurred as pro-democracy protesters gathered at the intersection in front of Samyan Mitrtown, to demand the release of protesters arrested at Victory Monument earlier in the day.

The improvised bomb exploded at around 6pm, injuring four people – a passer-by, a reporter and two policemen.

Metropolitan Police chief Pakapong Pongpetra said evidence indicates the bombers have escaped to Thonburi district.

He added that the blast was caused by a so-called ping-pong bomb, similar to the one used in a recent brawls between vocational students in Samut Prakan province.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30401417

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2021-01-19

I live at the moment in Thailand and had no idea of the new pro-democracy demonstrations in Bangkok.

Fortunately I have BBC World on my TV provider that is put on blank by the Thai authorities the moment BBC news from Thailand is shown.

In that way I know demonstrations are going on in Thailand.

Further details can then be checked on the BBC website.

Thanks to the local authorities I am always updated.

• Like 2