Thailand reports 374 new COVID-19 cases

rooster59

Thailand reports 374 new COVID-19 cases

a9210d702bc34c959dedb80d5b090186.png

Thailand reported 374 new coronavirus cases on Sunday.

Of the new cases, 364 were local transmissions, 10 were imported from people entering quarantine.

Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA), Dr. Taweesin Visanuyothin also said 109 people had been discharged from hospital having made a full recovery. 

2,969 people remain in hospital or held in a migrant worker quarantine centre.

Sunday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 12,045, with 70 deaths.

The number of new infections and total cases in Thailand since 14 Dec is as follows:

14 Dec: +28 (4,237)
15 Dec: +9 (4,246)
16 Dec: +15 (4,261)
17 Dec: +20 (4,281)
18 Dec: +16 (4,297)
19 Dec: +34 (4,331)
20 Dec: +576 (4,907)
21 Dec: +382 (5,289)
22 Dec: +427 (5,716)
23 Dec: +46 (5,762)
24 Dec: +67 (5,829)
25 Dec: +81 (5,910)
26 Dec: +110 (6,020)
27 Dec: +121 (6,141)
28 Dec: +144 (6,285)
29 Dec: +155 (6,440)
30 Dec: +250 (6,690)
31 Dec: +194 (6,884)
1 Jan: +279 (7,163)
2 Jan: +216 (7,379) 
3 Jan: +315 (7,694)
4 Jan: +745 (8,439)
5 Jan: +527 (8,966)
6 Jan:+365 (9,331)
7 Jan:+305 (9,636)
8 Jan:+205 (9,841)
9 Jan:+212 (10,053)
10 Jan:+245 (10,298)
11 Jan:+249 (10,547)
12 Jan:+287 (10,834)
13 Jan:+157 (10,991)
14 Jan:+271 (11,262)
15 Jan:+188 (11,450)
16 Jan:+230 (11,680)
17 Jan:+374 (12,045)

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-01-17

27 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

16 Jan:+230 (11,680)
17 Jan:+374 (12,045)

So again the 335 that were reported late yesterday have not been included in yesterday’s or today’s totals,,,,,but the pm has it under control????????????????

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1

From the data for 34 days, 28 new infections on 15 Dec and 7808 additional on Jan 17. Given an infection/transmission period of four days there would be 8.5 periods. So 28(R0)^8.5 = 7808. Then 8.5(logR0)=log(278.8) Therefore logR0=2.445/8.5 = .28764 So the R0 equals 1.94 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, G950 said:

To be fair 320 out of the 374 were found amongst migrant workers already locked down in Samut Sakhon. 

The remaining 50 or so from local infections in relatively low. 

I am not trying to downplay the situation but the numbers outside of Samut Sakhon seem to be stable meaning and relatively low.

Correct. Chonburi had 1 new case today (Sattahip) and none in Banglamung (Pattaya). None in Pattaya yesterday either.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bangsaenguy said:

Why are Rayong and Pattaya still locked down? Gotta feel for expats in Rayong. Big shortage of supermarkets

Because both have recorded new cases in the last few days. needs at least 14 days after the last case before any restrictions are lifted. Last time around it was almost 2 months in Pattaya between the last case and all restrictions being lifted.

This time asymptomatic cases are running around 80% and Chonburi governor has announced ramping up of mass testing in Chonburi. He may apply to have Chonburi's category reduced from red to orange by the end of the month. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

To be fair they are targeting migrant workers because obviously they are to blame for this outbreak.They may get a different result if they targeted Thais instead of relying Thais to go to hospital and pay for a test.There were 364 local transmissions according to the article not 50.It seems odd that although Thais in Samut Sakhon outnumber migrant workers by the multiple thousands yet we have a disproportionate amount of migrant workers being infected giving the illusion that Thais are pretty much immune from infection.Doesn't that seem odd to you?

I'm not sure thats the case, I was under the impression that migrant workers in Samut Sakhon far outnumber the local Thai population, according to reuters there are around 260,000 registered migrant workers there but the real figure could be 400,000. As for the local Thai population that numbers around 60,000.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I'm not sure thats the case, I was under the impression that migrant workers in Samut Sakhon far outnumber the local Thai population, according to reuters there are around 260,000 registered migrant workers there but the real figure could be 400,000. As for the local Thai population that numbers around 60,000.

That would explain the oddness of the figures.Thanks for the heads up on that one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bangsaenguy said:

Why are Rayong and Pattaya still locked down? Gotta feel for expats in Rayong. Big shortage of supermarkets

Bit short of supermarkets? Can get almost anything you can get in Pattaya in Rayong.

Restaurant choices are another matter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, taninthai said:

So again the 335 that were reported late yesterday have not been included in yesterday’s or today’s totals,,,,,but the pm has it under control????????????????

My belief is that they will be massaged into the figures in the coming days to keep them an  even amount and show no spike - this constant 200-300 figures a day is ridiculous.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Numbers have doubled in 2 days isn't that called an exponential increase?Where is the dramatic headline that most other countries would be spouting?

Did you post about the decrease from 745 on 4/1 to 365 on 6/1 and again to 205 on 8/1.? Cherry picking figures proves nothing. 

The local transmission figure is still disappointing & just about guarantees bars will remain closed for at least another month (February).

But when you let 4 nightclubes masquarade as restaurants, serving alcohol (someone important must have owned them) or Mr Plod behind in his new car payments, or both, it

is no wonder that the spread is spreading now pretty much as it wishes.

1 hour ago, Virt said:

Since the outbreak started amongst the migrants, the number of fatalities has actually been quite low, which is positive.

Let's hope it stays like that. 

I'm sure that's because it's been spreading, in the main, among a younger, fitter working population. Most of the fatalities in Thailand have been, like everywhere else, amongst the older, vulnerable group.

Like you say, let's hope it stays that way. 

• Like 2

Look, even the WHO admits that the PCR test is very far from perfect. In a guidance note issued in December, they wrote:

The design principle of RT-PCR means that for patients with high levels of circulating virus (viral load), relatively few cycles will be needed to detect virus and so the Ct value will be low. Conversely, when specimens return a high Ct value, it means that many cycles were required to detect virus. In some circumstances, the distinction between background noise and actual presence of the target virus is difficult to ascertain.

In other words, there is a significant risk of false positive results from the test, WHO admits.

https://www.who.int/news/item/14-12-2020-who-information-notice-for-ivd-users

Frankly, not a very good idea when the count of "cases" is used as an instant excuse to start locking everything down.

Plenty of perfectly healthy people will now be languishing in some State quarantine facility - in many countries - for no reason.

In fact, I will go further; it's a rotten idea to rely on PCR tests.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, polpott said:

This time asymptomatic cases are running around 80% and Chonburi governor has announced ramping up of mass testing in Chonburi.

Asymptomatic cases also test positive, when tested, and get included in the numbers.

In the past 33 days, how many people are you aware of that have been tested?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Didn't someone say yesterday that the number of infections are reducing, and they have it under control, well reading this post, doesn't seem like they have to me, and yes if, some were not added to yesterday's figures, that doesn't improve the final results.... 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Susco said:

Asymptomatic cases also test positive, when tested, and get included in the numbers.

Obviously enough to determine that 80% of those testing positive are asymptomatic. How else do you think that they know someone is asymptomatic if they don't test them?

Edited by polpott

6 minutes ago, polpott said:
2 hours ago, Susco said:

Obviously enough to determine that 80% of those tested are asymptomatic.

You sidetracked my question on purpose, or are you the head of medical faculty in Thailand so you get reports.

Here is my question again, I will make it bold so easier to read.

In the past 33 days, how many people are YOU aware of that have been tested?

And since I have your attention now, which finger did you make wet to get to the 80% asymptomatic cases? I don't see any mention in the daily reports about how many of the tested people are in that category. In fact, I don't see any mention about how many people get tested at all

Edited by Susco