Is health insurance now required for Non-O visas to obtain an extension

My neighbor who is from Belgium said that all retirement visas, Non-O, OA, and OX must get medical insurance in order to obtain an extension.  I was aware the OA and OX had to have it.  Is this true, my extension is coming up next month. 

If this is the case, has there been any mention of what are the plans for the thousands of retirees here who through age, or pre-existing condition can not obtain medical insurance? 

22 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

An unhelpful post has been removed.

Extension of stay for retirement based on a non-O visa does nto require insurance. Only O-A and O-X

Thank You.  My Belgium neighbor is not unintelligent, he just knows so much that is not true. 

24 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

Thank You.  My Belgium neighbor is not unintelligent, he just knows so much that is not true. 

One of my favourite quotes: "More to be feared than ignorance is the illusion of knowledge." ????

19 hours ago, Thomas J said:

My neighbor who is from Belgium said that all retirement visas, Non-O, OA, and OX must get medical insurance in order to obtain an extension.  I was aware the OA and OX had to have it.  Is this true, my extension is coming up next month. 

If this is the case, has there been any mention of what are the plans for the thousands of retirees here who through age, or pre-existing condition can not obtain medical insurance? 

Age can be a barrier.  But you can get insurance with pre-existing conditions, they will be excluded from coverage though.

Hello everybody,

A follow-up question regarding the OA insurance business: I had my extensions based on retirement and on an OA visa for many years. As I am holding a health insurance from Switzerland I was not willing to pay for another one here and changed last year to an extension based on marriage. I now wonder if this has also changed the visa the extension is based on from OA to O. If my extension is now based on a O visa entry, I would prefer to change back to the extension based on retirement, as this is much less hassle and if based on the O visa would not require the mandatory health insurance. Thanks for your feedbacks.

33 minutes ago, SwissHuaHin said:

I would prefer to change back to the extension based on retirement, as this is much less hassle and if based on the O visa would not require the mandatory health insurance. Thanks for your feedbacks.

Insurance is still not required for a extension of stay based upon marriage. It does not matter what type of visa you used to enter the country.

There have been no changes to the requirements for insurance in anyway.

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

He may be confused with the recent reports that Immigration intend to make it a requirement to obtain a Covid test in order to grant extensions. These reports are not confirmed.

The Royal Gazette confirms that it is only a check when entering the country. After the covid 19 emergency is over their will not be a requirement for a test either.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

The Royal Gazette confirms that it is only a check when entering the country. After the covid 19 emergency is over their will not be a requirement for a test either.

Don't get me wrong, I am not implying the OP is Belgian or not, just out of curiosity please correct me if wrong but I was under the impression Belgian nationals cannot , for some reason, apply for OX Visa... 

13 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

Don't get me wrong, I am not implying the OP is Belgian or not, just out of curiosity please correct me if wrong but I was under the impression Belgian nationals cannot , for some reason, apply for OX Visa... 

Correct, Belgium is not on the list 14 nationalities that are eligible to apply for the Non O/X visa.

49 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

Don't get me wrong, I am not implying the OP is Belgian or not, just out of curiosity please correct me if wrong but I was under the impression Belgian nationals cannot , for some reason, appl

I am from USA and on O visa.  He is from Belgium and he has an OA Visa.  He told me, I would be required to have health insurance for my next extension.  I had not seen any reports of that.  So I posted the question to the forum knowing that many of you would know the answer.   From what I read, there is no change.  He has his OA but he is fine since the Belgium public insurance system covers him here in Thailand.   But my O visa does not require it so I don't need to provide any proof of insurance when I apply for my extension next month.  

Thanks to everyone for your responses. 

6 minutes ago, mark5335 said:

Correct, Belgium is not on the list 14 nationalities that are eligible to apply for the Non O/X visa.

It's available according to the Thai Embassy Brussels.

บริการวีซ่า – Royal Thai Embassy Brussels

I think your misinterpreting the information on the list of 14 nationalities that are eligible to apply for the Non O/X visa. 

This type of visa may be issued to nationals and passport holders of Japan, Australia, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, Canada and the United States of America with the age of 50 years old and over who wish to stay in Thailand for the maximum period of 10 years (5 years according to visa validity plus an extension for another 5 years).  Employment of any kind is strictly prohibited.

I interpret that as separate to Belgian nationals the above 14 nationalities can also apply for the O-X Visa at the Thai Embassy in Brussels.

39 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

He has his OA but he is fine since the Belgium public insurance system covers him here in Thailand. 

Again Thomas Immigration will only accept proof of a Health Insurance policy from one of approved Thai Insurers, for annual extensions from an O-A entry.

37 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

I interpret that as separate to Belgian nationals the above 14 nationalities can also apply for the O-X Visa at the Thai Embassy in Brussels.

This from the Thai embassy in the US. Belgium is not on it.

"2. Applicants must be nationals and passport holders of eligible countries, namely; Japan, Australia, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Netherland, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, Canada and United States."

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

It's available according to the Thai Embassy Brussels.

บริการวีซ่า – Royal Thai Embassy Brussels

I think your misinterpreting the information on the list of 14 nationalities that are eligible to apply for the Non O/X visa. 

You may very well be correct; I will look into this again. Thks for update.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

This from the Thai embassy in the US. Belgium is not on it.

"2. Applicants must be nationals and passport holders of eligible countries, namely; Japan, Australia, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Netherland, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, Canada and United States."

Well it beggars belief that the Belgian Embassy would offer the O-X to 14 other nationals, but not there own.

They contradict themselves then in the same information.

1. How to Apply for Non-Immigrant O-X Visa

4.1 Foreigners who have the required qualifications and supporting documents as stated above may apply for Non-Immigrant O-X Visa at the Royal Thai Embassy/Royal Thai Consulate-General in the country of their nationality or where they have permanent residence.

Aren't Belgians nationals of their own Country

3 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Again Thomas Immigration will only accept proof of a Health Insurance policy from one of approved Thai Insurers, for annual extensions from an O-A entry.

I am unfamiliar with the requirements.  However, I do know he got his annual extension back in December.  I suppose it is possible that he has Thai Insurance also, but I don't think so since he was hospitalized recently and they billed his insurance back in Belgium for the bill. 

19 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

I am unfamiliar with the requirements.  However, I do know he got his annual extension back in December.  I suppose it is possible that he has Thai Insurance also, but I don't think so since he was hospitalized recently and they billed his insurance back in Belgium for the bill. 

You can still have your own personal Health policy for the purpose of covering medical bills, but Immigration don't accept foreign Health policies for the purpose of extensions from a Non O-A entry.

@Peter Denis has produced a 'roadmap' for those in this position and recommends the LMG policy, although useless for medical coverage, it's cheap and meets Immigrations requirements.

In effect many who entered on an O-A Visa, may have two Health cover policies.

One private covering xx millions to cover hospital bills, the other from such as LMG, (a Thai approved company) which only provides the 400K THB inpatient, 40K outpatient cover to meet Immigration requirements.

26 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

In effect many who entered on an O-A Visa, may have two Health cover policies.

One private covering xx millions to cover hospital bills, the other from such as LMG, (a Thai approved company) which only provides the 400K THB inpatient, 40K outpatient cover to meet Immigration requirements.

I will have to ask him if he has Thai insurance also.  I know he went to both Bangkok Hospital and Pattaya Memorial and they billed his insurance coverage in Belgium for the charges.  I know that because the first time he had to pay up front and then get reimbursed and he was complaining about the process. 

Archived