Which light bulb lasts longer in practice?

up2you2

I have to replace a light bulb in a staircase with a very high ceiling.

So high that it actually requires scaffolding to do this.

For years I had been using Philips Tornado Energy Saver 20W, and would literally last for about five years.

The last time I changed it, I might have used an Eve LED 11W, it first of all started to flicker when being turned on, then stopped working completely, now is working again - a mystery.

What I want to know is which one should be my preferred choice, when I do replace it please?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, maxpower said:

Tearing apart a Philips lamp and then a Guangdong special at half the price shows why the Philips build and component quality is likely to deliver the longer life. In a hard to access location a well known brand might be less of a risk. 

If you can somehow get the Philips Dubai lamps you are virtually guaranteed a really really long lifespan as they significantly under run the LEDs and have good under run power supplies in them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

a complete standard  LED light at Global House is just over a 100 baht if used 8 hours a day, it will last 17 years.

I moved in my house 9 years ago, and have everywhere Osram energy savings lamps. In those 9 years I have replaced very few, I think less than 5%.

In 2 ceiling fans I replaced them with 11W LED, first from Sylvania and later from Philips, because I needed brighter light in those rooms.

That was 2 years ago, and I have replaced each of them 3 times already

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Susco said:

I moved in my house 9 years ago, and have everywhere Osram energy savings lamps. In those 9 years I have replaced very few, I think less than 5%.

In 2 ceiling fans I replaced them with 11W LED, first from Sylvania and later from Philips, because I needed brighter light in those rooms.

That was 2 years ago, and I have replaced each of them 3 times already

I was writing about the LED lights--not bulbs...... Quote"I didn't think many people used light bulbs now"..

The standard LED light in Global House that sits flat against the ceiling was 6 months ago when I brought 22 of them 110 baht each---As I wrote you can for a bit more, & get voice activated ones.

50,000 hours

Many LEDs have a rated life of up to 50,000 hours. This is approximately 50 times longer than a typical incandescent, 20-25 times longer than a typical halogen, and 8-10 times longer than a typical CFL. Used 12 hours a day, a 50,000 bulb will last more than 11 years. Used 8 hours a day, it will last 17 years!  Bulbs.com

Edited by sanuk711
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

There are many LEDs that are direct replacements for incandescent or CFL “bulbs” E40, E 27, E14, E12, E11, and BC fitting to name a few, they have the shape of the incandescent bulb and are all called bulbs

Yes and that are the ones that don't last, as I have each one replaced 3 time in 2 years, but sanuk711 made clear that he is NOT talking about LED bulbs

Edited by Susco
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Cheap ones don’t last, good quality ones do. The base fitting is irrelevant.

You think Sylvania and Philips, bought from official stores, are considered cheap ones?

And Sanuk711 is NOT talking about bulbs, but I'm gonna stop replying to you, because again as in every thread you get involved in, you must have the last word.

Which part of this was it that you didn't undrstand?

image.png.47fc62d155db87430fcdd16effbae9b9.png

Edited by Susco
  • Haha 1

Is your ceiling still higher than the extendable bulb changers and a ladder?
Yes.

Light bulbs, maybe I used the wrong terminology here, I did not mean to refer to the old fashioned original light bulbs.

Thank you - I will look out for Philips Dubai lamps.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, maxpower said:

Tearing apart a Philips lamp and then a Guangdong special at half the price shows why the Philips build and component quality is likely to deliver the longer life. In a hard to access location a well known brand might be less of a risk. 

I installed six Philips LED "lamps" in my house and all but two failed within two years. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Susco said:

I think it is quite obvious from the OP that he has to replace a bulb, so what LED lights have to do with this is not clear to me.

Anyway, please report back in 17 years, how many you have replaced, because your lights are now only 6 months old..

If you look at my post history, you will find that not so long ago I started a thread about the short lifespan of LED bulbs, and there are members in that thread which told us that their LED lights, also didn't last long

What do you care? We probably won't be around to tell anymore. 55555

3 hours ago, Estrada said:

1. They sell LED light bulbs (yes they also make them as bulbs, not just the fancy forms)

2. I have a drawer full of Philips light bulbs that frequently blow

3. The EVE LED bulbs and lamps have also blown too soon

4. The manufacturers often guarantee them for life (so if they blow after a few months, that is the end of their life)

This could happen even with the Philips Dubai lamp.

5. My first job as a student Electrical Engineer in a Power Station was to change light bulbs, which were very high up, using a "Grabber" which has a long extendable handle. They sell the same thing in Tesco Thailand or via Lazada at around B440 to B560. 

Bulb Changer.jpg

That's why they invented Covid 19 in order to reduce life expectancy.. 555555:cheesy: