Which light bulb lasts longer in practice?

up2you2

16 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

I was writing about the LED lights--not bulbs...... Quote"I didn't think many people used light bulbs now"..

The standard LED light in Global House that sits flat against the ceiling was 6 months ago when I brought 22 of them 110 baht each---As I wrote you can for a bit more, & get voice activated ones.

50,000 hours

Many LEDs have a rated life of up to 50,000 hours. This is approximately 50 times longer than a typical incandescent, 20-25 times longer than a typical halogen, and 8-10 times longer than a typical CFL. Used 12 hours a day, a 50,000 bulb will last more than 11 years. Used 8 hours a day, it will last 17 years!  Bulbs.com

My experience is that LEDs not last long!!! From 12 that I bought 2 years ago only 4 still working now. The same with LED Flood Lights. Only 2 of 4 still works. The onliest long lasting lights are FLUORESCENT LAMPS.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

complete standard  LED light at Global House is just over a 100 baht if used 8 hours a day, it will last 17 years.

my daylight switched outdoor 10W LED lasts about 30 months,
that would be about 900 days x say 10 hours = 9000 hours.
changed the LED proper two times,
useful period same in both cases.

I’ve read that some LED lights fail because they’ve been installed within decorative light fittings which don’t allow air to circulate, and the resulting excess heat reduces the life of the electronics in the bulbs. I’ve never had an LED bulb fail, and all of mine are installed as bare bulbs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

LED bulbs are like you buy a box of chocolate. They all same brand and the same type with some thousands of hours by package, but actually not all live as long as indicated on the box. Some die early and some live long. The life span is not always depend on the bulb, bad sockets, sparky wiring can kill the electronic driver inside LED bulbs. 

Edited by The Theory

22 hours ago, up2you2 said:

For years I had been using Philips Tornado Energy Saver 20W, and would literally last for about five years.

I have excellent experience with Philips for durability, I have from bad, to extremely bad, experience with some other brands. Energy saves like Tornado are however outdated, a good Philips LED would be my choice.

If the bulb is placed in a difficult position, I would give the bulb a "burn in", i.e. let it work in an easy to acces place for about a week, or just a number of hours (preferably not less than 24 hours). I have a background in pro-audio electronics, where quality stuff always had a burn-in period. That's also where you found faulty LEDs. The saying was that if they lived 24-48 hours, they would live "for ever" (probably a very long number of years, I have some LEDs that has lived longer than 40 years by now). Often the problem with LED-bulbs is not is the LEDs, but the often under-dimensioned cheap electronics...????

I switched back to incandescent. Yes, you have to replace bulbs more often but they're cheap as chips. Yes, they run hot. So?

IF your 'energy-saving' lightbulb lasts you 20 years, maybe you'll have saved 20 baht.

REAL lightbulbs give much more pleasant illumination & are way easier on the eyes. LEDs are just fancified tubelights. They're UGLY!

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, l4ml4m said:

My experience is that the cheapest EVE LED last as long or more than the expensive brands for which people pay more...

Anyway they all come from the same chinese factories...

The factories could be the same, though probably not, but the designs are often different as is the quality control.

So there is no guarantee that it’s just a different name on the box, with similar dubious quality. Prices are sometimes a good guide.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CygnusX1 said:

I’ve read that some LED lights fail because they’ve been installed within decorative light fittings which don’t allow air to circulate, and the resulting excess heat reduces the life of the electronics in the bulbs. I’ve never had an LED bulb fail, and all of mine are installed as bare bulbs.

Some certainly do, but it’s also the case that they often get over driven by design and the PSU is under powered so both get too hot, heat is the absolute killer for electronics. If you fit bulbs cap down they have a better chance of a longer life

Edited by sometimewoodworker

23 hours ago, up2you2 said:

I have to replace a light bulb in a staircase with a very high ceiling.

So high that it actually requires scaffolding to do this.

For years I had been using Philips Tornado Energy Saver 20W, and would literally last for about five years.

The last time I changed it, I might have used an Eve LED 11W, it first of all started to flicker when being turned on, then stopped working completely, now is working again - a mystery.

What I want to know is which one should be my preferred choice, when I do replace it please?

Often the problem is not with the bulb but with the fluctuating  supply  voltages. Fit a  voltage  regulator and those problems go  away.

22 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

LED light at Global House is just over a 100 baht if used 8 hours a day, it will last 17 years.

I have used several 'top brand' LED bulbs in my house. Some are still 'ok', but I'm sure more than 50% have been replaced (already). I think the Thai electricity does them a great deal of stress. I seriously doubt you'll get one to last more than 10 years here.

We have 38 rooms for rent and and several associated walkways.

LED bulbs last much less time than Compact Fluorescent., we have tried several brands.

The LEDs last shorter times in the recessed walkway holders than they do in rooms where they are completely exposed.

I am pretty sure it's a heat issue that shortens their life as our voltage is very stable.

There is very little excuse to NOT be using LED bulbs in this day and age. They consume far less power, the light is very pleasant (as long as you choose warm), and they last years. I rarely ever have to replace mine. We replaced every light fixture in the house, and outside the house, that could not handle LED, including the horrific fluorescent lamps outside, and the dreadful circline fixtures. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Muhendis said:

I installed six Philips LED "lamps" in my house and all but two failed within two years. 

There are long and short life stories for all brands of LED lamp. My brothers Osram ES LED lamps started to die shortly after lightning hit a local transformer.  

He now swears by the no brand X Ebay lamps that lose most of their output after six months.

These Shelby Electric lamps have a good life span ...

The LED probably lasts 50000 hours, but it is the driver (electronics) which mostly determines the life of the lamp.

Also an energy saving lamp (PL,"TL" and so on) have electronics in it, which determine life span.

No good electronics, no good lamp. You must be lucky with a right lamp.

An LED gives longer period more light then PL.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

OK Amazon UAE has them.

However it looks as if they only ship to the local area, not to other places like Thailand. So finding them in there looks as if it’s no help to getting them here.08B0185C-9A8E-48EB-B3C6-D227B316457B.jpeg.41c205efe5007f23817c19d5c99a1169.jpeg

Ok than, we won't  Try to Buy them    ????

I seem to have good luck with the tubes, bulbs and fixtures I've bought, but it is worth nothing that:

1. Unlike fluorescent tubes and incandescent bulbs, LEDs often need to be wired correctly.

2. If you use an LED tube in a fluorescent fixture, you need to remove the starter.

• Confused 1

I would recommend changing the fixture if you have to erect scaffolding anyway.  Get an integrated LED fixture with a separate power supply and good solid heat sinks.  If you have insulation around the light, frame out a box around the fixture to isolate it from the insulation, or do a small pendant fixture that will get better air circulation.  Just make sure it has good heat sinks.

The LED replacement bulbs really are not the same quality level as proper fixtures.  (Although the 100B fixtures might be close on quality.)

On 1/17/2021 at 9:17 PM, spidermike007 said:

There is very little excuse to NOT be using LED bulbs in this day and age. They consume far less power, the light is very pleasant (as long as you choose warm), and they last years. I rarely ever have to replace mine. We replaced every light fixture in the house, and outside the house, that could not handle LED, including the horrific fluorescent lamps outside, and the dreadful circline fixtures. 

1.  Dimming to low light levels.  I have more 12V MR16 lights than I care to count, and there just aren’t good retrofit bulbs that are in the ~200 lumen range that can dim down to ~2-5 lumens.

BigClive has just posted a very interesting video.

in summary if you add a capacitor, values between 470nF and 10nF  you can extend the life of your LEDs from a lot to many years. Of course the light is reduced and not all lights will work. However you can make the modifications inside your light switches.

This is from the YouTube description 

67D9BBE0-A8A2-47F5-B027-CF0BC97DE479.jpeg.d69f416f0ad0ea1d30e451e1485b1c83.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I replaced 4 downlighters using 60w tungsten bulbs at the same time with 1 Philips 9w, 2 Eve 9w, and 1 Saneluz 9w. The Eve were the first to go - within about 10 days of one another, followed by the Philips - cannot recall exactly but approx. 3-4 weeks later. The Saneluz original is still working almost 1 year later.

18 hours ago, ThailandFoodExpert said:

My Eve LED have been turned ON for many years already.

Does it help to keel LED on 24 hours to have them die slower ?

If the driving electronics survive, LED output will reduce over time depending on operating conditions.

The output reduction often goes unnoticed until above 30%+

Leaving the LED on 24/7 is a gamble. Stress from temperature change will be reduced but other components might have their life shortened.

• Like 1