Which light bulb lasts longer in practice?

up2you2

1 hour ago, maxpower said:

If the driving electronics survive, LED output will reduce over time depending on operating conditions.

The output reduction often goes unnoticed until above 30%+

Leaving the LED on 24/7 is a gamble. Stress from temperature change will be reduced but other components might have their life shortened.

Reducing the output by changing a resistor can give extremely long life (5 years and going strong) or buying the (impossible to get here) Philips Dubai lamps that have been Engineered for long life call running relatively low output.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Reducing the output by changing a resistor can give extremely long life (5 years and going strong) or buying the (impossible to get here) Philips Dubai lamps that have been Engineered for long life call running relatively low output.

That's all fine for the few that have skills to tear open their led lamps and adjust the current limit. The rest are left in the hands of lamps with limited life.

Dubai.

We have a terrible carbon footprint, how can we wash over the flak?

Throw a boat load of subsidy cash at Philips and ask them to go against all of their manufacturing rules to make us a super long life LED lamp just for us.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not read all posts but yesterday i had to replace another led light.

30 watts,nearly 300 baht.

Easy enough to replace but not near as many hours as they claim.

Guess what?You can easily fix your broken led bulb.

It took me less then 5 minutes to do it and it works again!

I will use it in the shop and see how long it will last.

If you can not fix it yourself it would be very cheap to have it done at an electronics shop.

18 hours ago, jvs said:

Guess what?You can easily fix your broken led bulb.

It took me less then 5 minutes to do it and it works again!

I will use it in the shop and see how long it will last.

If you can not fix it yourself it would be very cheap to have it done at an electronics shop.

Guess what? You have converted a bulb that is hard driving it’s LEDs into one that is over driving it’s LEDs so the next one will fail much sooner, yes it’s working again but for how long?

The way to get long lasting lamps is to under drive the LEDs so convert a 9W into a 4W by modification of the driver

• Like 1

Main bedroom has 2 wall lights.

Fitted new tungsten spot bulbs (100W) to them when I built the house in 1986.

Used every day, sometimes the wife even mistakenly leaves them on all day after make-up.

Same bulbs there today, secret is, feed via a dimmer and run at low level, rather than fit a low wattage lamp.

Done it many times since on different installations, same results.

LongLife.jpg

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

yes it’s working again but for how long?

That is why i said i will use it in the shop and see how long it will last.

Still no need to throw them out like i used to.

On 1/17/2021 at 8:15 AM, up2you2 said:

What I want to know is which one should be my preferred choice, when I do replace it please?

I have not so good long-lasting experience with the brand you mentioned flicking, whilst I have extremely good long lasting experience with Philips LED-bulbs, E27 that replace old-fashioned ones...

b392ce7e4bd75815b846c8a23c02753e

Generally LED will last longer but I have found that the power quality seems to affect the life. I started using cheap ones from lazarda which are the flat housed models with a small 220-12v power adapter attached and they seem to work better.  Couldn't use a normal LED bulb as they would flicker,  not sure why, I am guessing the wiring in the house is a bit ""IFFY"

• Like 1