Covid Test Now Needed To Have Surgery?

Today I went to see a doctor about a varicocele condition at St Louis hospital. I also enquired about the cost of surgery, I was given the estimate and told a covid test would also be needed before surgery at 4000 baht +.

Is this the case in all hospitals now? Or just a rip off procedure at St Louis? I went there on recommendation from here, but I can't say I was that impressed with the place. 

I would expect (and hope) all hospitals require COVID test for any admission to the hospital. The consequences of an outbreak within a hospital would be very serious.

4000 is reasonable cost. At government facility it is 3500.

• Like 1

I remember seeing news some time back that the government had mandated COVID tests for hospital admissions. Thus, I was surprised when I was admitted for surgery in Dec 2020 without a COVID test at a major BKK hospital. That said, I believe hospitals are required to perform this test for any admissions, and the price you quote is not unreasonable.

• Like 1

i was admitted pre planned etc for surgery at the end of August 2020 to a private hospital and no mention of a covid test, but with a few tests nationwide in the last few months it may now be mandatory and as others have said the 4k price is not unreasonable.

Good luck with your surgery.

Tomorrow I am having the five year camera up the bum job recommended for people over fifty years old. 

This will actually be the third time I’ve had it since we’ve lived here.

Yesterday I had to have a Covid test. They haven’t contacted me today so I must’ve passed.....

I just done 5 days in Saraburi hospital, 4 days in ICU. Had collapsed left lung, massive plueral effusion. 

I cannot recall a test for covid, though they did take a fair bit of blood out of me for tests. I am sure they may have mentioned it. 

The standard of care was excellent.