Where can I buy "Grass Seed?"

connda

I'm trying to reseed my back yard.  Yeah, I know.  Bad time to do it with hot season coming, but Mrs Connda wants it so Mr. Connda obliges. 

In the past I've put in grass squares (sod) you can get behind Tesco-Lotus in the garden supply shop.  But I can not find just grass seed.
In America it would be easy to buy 25 lbs of grass seed.  It can't even find it here. 

So that is my question.   The companies selling the pre-grown grass strip must by their seed from somewhere?  Where.  I've asked and I get blank stares from "employees". 

My problem is I have a lot of dogs including a new litter of pups and they rip the <deleted> up out of the sod.  I need to get enough seed to give the areas where the sod gets ripped up and give it a chance of growing.

Bottom line.  Where can I buy grass seedPlease supply a GPS coordinate or a Google Map link. 

I'd really appreciate it!  I'm heading into Chiang Mai Tuesday and would like to buy a few kilos.  Thanks much!

Not quite what you asked for but

We recently bought some Thai pei grass plugs

We had a team come to plant them, they are a broad leaf grass , and they spread to fill in the gaps.

You may have seen it around hotel grounds as it  never needs cutting 

just a thought, it may be an idea for you.

A2690C3E-DA55-42FE-86D1-BB49FC27AC47.jpeg

CBAE1654-12FF-4CC9-A49D-51ED4E166580.jpeg

Edited by Monkeypants

9 minutes ago, Monkeypants said:

Not quite what you asked for but

We recently bought some Thai pei grass plugs

We had a team come to plant them, they are a broad leaf grass , and they spread to fill in the gaps.

You may have seen it around hotel grounds as it  never needs cutting 

just a thought, it may be an idea for you.

A2690C3E-DA55-42FE-86D1-BB49FC27AC47.jpeg

CBAE1654-12FF-4CC9-A49D-51ED4E166580.jpeg

What you mean it never needs cutting, does it look like a decent lawn?

I did a google for Thai pei grass, but get pei dogs and taipei etc, but nothing that points to that grass.

Do you have pictures from a full grown lawn?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Monkeypants said:

There you go

Taipei grass.

it never needs cutting because it is a broad leaf grass, it doesn’t grow tall.

From planting plugs to full lawn is 3 months approx. A lot of watering and weeding in the initial stages then you’re done 

That's a nice looking lawn...

2 hours ago, Monkeypants said:

There you go

Taipei grass.

it never needs cutting because it is a broad leaf grass, it doesn’t grow tall.

From planting plugs to full lawn is 3 months approx. A lot of watering and weeding in the initial stages then you’re done 

34F2389A-80AB-4AF4-9F58-0FED53017045.jpeg

5EDCB09B-1695-4767-8128-BEC8D9040672.jpeg

5A80318F-0086-4938-A4B3-AE85F9CF6799.jpeg

Thanks, that indeed looks nice.

I now have Malay grass, which is also broadleaf, but I have to cut it every damn week anyway ????

Any idea about average pricee including labour? Affordable for a 800 sqm meter plot you think?

We  paid 45,000 baht including labour

for 500 m2 

We planted ours 23rd Dec

Waiting to see the results.

Can post some updated pics as and when ,

if you would like

Can give you details of the guy who did ours .

Our house is in Phetchabun, the team of workers came from Korat , took them 2 days, they stayed overnight ,Thai style at our farm.

They deliver the plugs via Kerry if you wish to get your own team of workers in.

We opted for the all inclusive option. 
We actually needed about 800m2 

But was advised that 500 m2 would spread out to cover the 800 m2 area given a few more months .

We have planted a border around the house, which will spread. The pic I posted of our planting has a concrete defined edge, but you can see the other side toward the lake , has stopped short of the whole area,, this area will fill itself 

Thanks

Edited by Monkeypants
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Monkeypants said:

if you would like

That would sure be appreciated.

I'm in Pattaya, so that's quite an end from Korat, so will hear around with the grass dealers if this is available here.

Thanks

15 hours ago, connda said:

I'm trying to reseed my back yard.  Yeah, I know.  Bad time to do it with hot season coming, but Mrs Connda wants it so Mr. Connda obliges. 

In the past I've put in grass squares (sod) you can get behind Tesco-Lotus in the garden supply shop.  But I can not find just grass seed.
In America it would be easy to buy 25 lbs of grass seed.  It can't even find it here. 

So that is my question.   The companies selling the pre-grown grass strip must by their seed from somewhere?  Where.  I've asked and I get blank stares from "employees". 

My problem is I have a lot of dogs including a new litter of pups and they rip the <deleted> up out of the sod.  I need to get enough seed to give the areas where the sod gets ripped up and give it a chance of growing.

Bottom line.  Where can I buy grass seedPlease supply a GPS coordinate or a Google Map link. 

I'd really appreciate it!  I'm heading into Chiang Mai Tuesday and would like to buy a few kilos.  Thanks much!

I have tried everywhere and couldn't find it--makes little sense, but then that's Thailand.  As you said, back in the US, i could find all kinds of options for grass seed at Lowes, Home depot, Walmart, etc etc or order on Amazon.  And, the seed i got grew very well.  

I have had to just by the square sods of grass from the Garden shops and cut it further to fit where i wanted.  Of course, such sod at that is much more expensive in the US--but, i have some dirt areas where the dirt has been baked and dry from the sun--so, rough it up, fertilize it a bit, wet it and plant the sod--cut the sod to the various sizes i want to fit the area of land on which i want new grass.

This is what 100 THB worth of grass seed looks like (about $3 bucks USD)

IMG20210123125546.thumb.jpg.0c7ce340c5ffc7cc1dfa85eac57ecbcb.jpg

What a laugh.  ????

I looked on Amazon US and calculated that a pound of grass seed costs about $6 bucks USD.

On 1/17/2021 at 11:20 PM, Monkeypants said:

We  paid 45,000 baht including labour

for 500 m2 

We planted ours 23rd Dec

if you would like

Can give you details of the guy who did ours .

Our house is in Phetchabun, the team of workers came from Korat , took them 2 days, they stayed overnight ,Thai style at our farm.

They deliver the plugs via Kerry if you wish to get your own team of workers in.

We opted for the all inclusive option. 
We actually needed about 800m2 

But was advised that 500 m2 would spread out to cover the 800 m2 area given a few more months .

We have planted a border around the house, which will spread. The pic I posted of our planting has a concrete defined edge, but you can see the other side toward the lake , has stopped short of the whole area,, this area will fill itself 

Thanks

How much did you Taipei grass plugs cost per 1 m2 or 10 m2 (whatever the basic volume that that are bought in) and where can I buy them?

Edited by connda

Sorry for the late reply

The grass costs  are 1x m2 cost 80 baht 

delivered through Kerry.

We Decided on 500 m2 with  their team of workers , they bring the small plug plants with them for 45,000 baht planted.

Extras were 1000 baht fuel ,plus Lao Kow 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/427563204348999/permalink/1093059837799329/

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Hi Sorry to hijack this thread but does anyone know where to get any lawn weedkiller as my lawn has a lot of weeds sprouting through & most places like homepro,  global house etc only seem to have weedkiller  that kills everything  & not the kind that only kills the weeds but doesn't  harm the grass

I'm from UK & in Garden  centres there there are hundreds of different brands for this but can't  find any here