OK OK OK ....... please make it dead simple .

1.  I am married to a Thai lady and she will be returning home this year . We live in the UK .

2. I will be selling up and then I intend to join my wife and live permanently in Thailand .

3. I read the Threads about visas on here and on other sites . In less than 10 minutes I am wanting to throw the cat out of the window and smash up my computer .

" Depends on this ... "  " Depends on this also ..... " " Rules are different if the Officer is in a bad mood " " Marriage Visa is not a marriage Visa ..... " . Et Cetera .

4. ( Please ) ---- can somebody now - January 2021 - tell me exactly what I need to apply for ? Please ?? I can certainly put 400 000 baht into the Bank and leave it there . I will be receiving 2 Covid vaccines soon .  I will be applying to the Thai Embassy in London .  What do I need to get ?  I'm not a thick person . Just very frustrated trying to understand exactly what I need to do in order to go and build a Pool and sit there with chilled German weissbeers .

Thank You .

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A non-imm O visa based on marriage to a Thai from the UK for 60 or 90 days depending what you can get...

Get here, and put 400K into a bank account. Wait 60 days, then go to local immigration and ask for a list of everything else you need, such as house book, photos inside home, and with neighbours etc.. They have a pre-printed list of you can get from their website.

Fill everything in and get a letter from the bank saying this is a accurate bank statement. 

Immigration will give you a 60 day extension and tell you to come back after that and your visa will be ready, extendable after 12 months.

DONE

EXCELLENT Brewster ! EXCELLENT !!!

There is a guy on Youtube who puts up a Video almost every day . Nice enough guy really . But he attaches very dramatic titles . " VISA EXTENSION REFUSED !!! " when it actually wasn't refused at all . He says he is required to submit a Document and when he does so they change their mind and say they want 3 copies all signed by his Bank . And when he took 3 Documents this year to be sure - they asked for 6 . And this guy has been there years .  It's highly frustrating trying to follow it . I am going to use your steps as my Bible and see what happens .  Many Thanks .

6 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

This guy: @Peter Denis can give you guidance, he will be along shortly or you can pm him.

Thank you Andrew . Maybe you could just glimpse what Brewster wrote and say if that's as good as it seems . Simple clear steps for this simple not-so-clear me ??

What you need to get a non-o visa and a Certificate of Entry to enter Thailand is here on the London embassy website. 

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/requirements-for-foreigners-travelling-to-thailand-during-covid-19-tra?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

And here specifically for the visa herea little over half way down the page. 

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/84508-non-immigrant-visas?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

You will apply for the non-o visa online here. https://thaievisa.go.th/Home

Then after arriving you can apply for a one year extension of stay you can apply for a extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai during the last 30 days of your non-o visa. You will need 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only for 2 months on the day your apply for the extension.

Here is my general list of required documents. Marriage Extension Requirements 2.pdf

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

What you need to get a non-o visa and a Certificate of Entry to enter Thailand is here on the London embassy website. 

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/requirements-for-foreigners-travelling-to-thailand-during-covid-19-tra?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/84508-non-immigrant-visas?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

Then after arriving you can apply for a one year extension of stay you can apply for a extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai during the last 30 days of your non-o visa. You will need 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only for 2 months on the day your apply for the extension.

Here is my general list of required documents. Marriage Extension Requirements 2.pdf

OH MY GOD !!!!!   Actually I'm sure this is excellent Ubonjoe but I will need to have a shower and 2 cups of Coffee before I open any of it .  But I will .  Thank you for taking the time .

a non immigrant 'O' visa obtained from the London Thai embassy. for being married to a Thai national will give you a 90 day permission to stay stamp on entry. brewster is wrong about the 60 day option

once in Thailand you can either extend this permission to stay stamp

for 60 days to visit Thai wife, no financials required, just your wife and copy of marriage certificate wither from Thailand of any other country.

or for 1 year, financials required, marriage cert from Thailand, if from another country lots of hoops to jump through a whole new subject, photos, witness, copies of wifes id card and house book  etc. both extensions are 1,900 baht

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

( It's the first time I heard of a Certificate of Entry . )

29 minutes ago, Wasp said:

1.  I am married to a Thai lady and she will be returning home this year . We live in the UK .

2. I will be selling up and then I intend to join my wife and live permanently in Thailand .

3. I read the Threads about visas on here and on other sites . In less than 10 minutes I am wanting to throw the cat out of the window and smash up my computer .

" Depends on this ... "  " Depends on this also ..... " " Rules are different if the Officer is in a bad mood " " Marriage Visa is not a marriage Visa ..... " . Et Cetera .

4. ( Please ) ---- can somebody now - January 2021 - tell me exactly what I need to apply for ? Please ?? I can certainly put 400 000 baht into the Bank and leave it there . I will be receiving 2 Covid vaccines soon .  I will be applying to the Thai Embassy in London .  What do I need to get ?  I'm not a thick person . Just very frustrated trying to understand exactly what I need to do in order to go and build a Pool and sit there with chilled German weissbeers .

Thank You .

Chill out mate.

Lots of fake news on here and youtube. Pretty easy to stay here on marriage extensions. If you are a "glass half full" as opposed to a "glass half empty" guy, you will be OK. 

1 minute ago, steve187 said:

a non immigrant 'O' visa obtained from the London Thai embassy. for being married to a Thai national will give you a 90 day permission to stay stamp on entry.

once in Thailand you can either extend this permission to stay stamp

for 60 days to visit Thai wife, no financials required, just your wife and copy of marriage certificate wither from Thailand of any other country.

or for 1 year, financials required, marriage cert from Thailand, if from another country lots of hoops to jump through a whole new subject, photos, witness, copies of wifes id card and house book  etc. both extensions are 1,900 baht

Can't cope with this . 

A LOT of very generous help in a very short time .

I must go for coffee . Then Print out what Brewster sent me and sit here with his advice while I read yours . And there's another popping up from Mutt Daeng !

Thank you people .

It all sounds very confusing and so many choices but what happens is - - you choose one method that works best and that is it... then repeat every year... plenty of others accomplish it - you will too.. 

I have found Imm officers very helpful - and depending on where you are, there are legitimate visa agents that fill out all the paperwork for you for a modest fee... 

good luck - it is not as bad as it sounds. 

3 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Chill out mate.

Lots of fake news on here and youtube. Pretty easy to stay here on marriage extensions. If you are a "glass half full" as opposed to a "glass half empty" guy, you will be OK. 

I'm very much ' glass much more than half empty ' .

1 minute ago, 1FinickyOne said:

It all sounds very confusing and so many choices but what happens is - - you choose one method that works best and that is it... then repeat every year... plenty of others accomplish it - you will too.. 

I have found Imm officers very helpful - and depending on where you are, there are legitimate visa agents that fill out all the paperwork for you for a modest fee... 

good luck - it is not as bad as it sounds. 

Well the UK side I am accepting I must do myself . But if you or anyone knows a good agent in Nakhon Ratchasima ....... please tell me .  Thanks Finicky .

35 minutes ago, Wasp said:

Thank You .

Listen to Ubon Joe, he is pretty much the guru, a lot of other comments/advise will be well intended but wrong. (not all of course but Joe is the kid)

6 minutes ago, Wasp said:

Well the UK side I am accepting I must do myself . But if you or anyone knows a good agent in Nakhon Ratchasima ....... please tell me .  Thanks Finicky .

You don't need and agent in Nakhon Ratchasima. I've done a couple of marriage extensions there is the past, no problem. Most of the NE Thailand IOs are much more "enlightened" and helpful than those in other parts of the country. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to disagree.

1 minute ago, Mutt Daeng said:

So optimist or pessimist?

Deep Pessimist .   Shouldn't be .  Made many many mistakes but I am still better off than a good few people and I should appreciate that more . Not rich at all . But when I am in Thailand I feel very fortunate . Still naturally a pessimist unfortunately . 

17 minutes ago, Wasp said:

EXCELLENT Brewster ! EXCELLENT !!!

There is a guy on Youtube who puts up a Video almost every day . Nice enough guy really . But he attaches very dramatic titles . " VISA EXTENSION REFUSED !!! " when it actually wasn't refused at all . He says he is required to submit a Document and when he does so they change their mind and say they want 3 copies all signed by his Bank . And when he took 3 Documents this year to be sure - they asked for 6 . And this guy has been there years .  It's highly frustrating trying to follow it . I am going to use your steps as my Bible and see what happens .  Many Thanks .

I know the youtuber you are referring to , he was applying for a retire visa/extension so not that relevant.

Also, he wanted to have a drama to make youtube content, There were some widely publicised changes to money in the bank rules for retire extension a while back, it was chucks first extension since the changes. Youtubers often have a vested interest in making a drama were none exists

He appeared to be not aware of the changes, he must have literally been the only guy in Thailand who wasn't aware.

3 minutes ago, Wasp said:

Deep Pessimist .   Shouldn't be .  Made many many mistakes but I am still better off than a good few people and I should appreciate that more . Not rich at all . But when I am in Thailand I feel very fortunate . Still naturally a pessimist unfortunately . 

Plan for the worst and hope for the best. Like yourself I'm just an ordinary guy. Hopefully your view will change with time.

might be simpler to get a tourist visa (or enter visa exempt) and get a NON-O in country to avoid the insurance requirement.

if you have the cash to set aside, maybe consider 800k in the bank and claim retirement rather than marriage.  unless i'm misteaken, that should greatly reduce the paperwork.

11 minutes ago, Wasp said:

The man who never made a mistake, never made anything!!!

A friend of mine from the US just entered Thailand one month ago (Dec 2020). It was definitely more involved than previous trips where he simply arrived visa exempt. He complained at length about the seeming complexity of the process. However, once he made a list of everything he needed to do, and got about doing it, it was all relatively straightforward. It is not as terrible as it first appears, it just requires some organization and persistence. The most difficult part will be the 2 weeks in quarantine, so be sure to plan that as best you can - make sure you get a room you can tolerate, look for the best deal, and plan to deal with the boredom.

10 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

might be simpler to get a tourist visa (or enter visa exempt) and get a NON-O in country to avoid the insurance requirement.

if you have the cash to set aside, maybe consider 800k in the bank and claim retirement rather than marriage.  unless i'm misteaken, that should greatly reduce the paperwork.

Besides covid insurance for any entry, there isn't any separate O visa insurance requirement

Might be worth pointing out that you can't just walk into any old bank with your passport and open an account any more. They will say you need  to have a work permit.

To circumvent this obstacle it might be necessary to go the bank of your choices head office , most likely in Bangkok.

15 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I know the youtuber you are referring to , he was applying for a retire visa/extension so not that relevant.

Also, he wanted to have a drama to make youtube content, There were some widely publicised changes to money in the bank rules for retire extension a while back, it was chucks first extension since the changes. Youtubers often have a vested interest in making a drama were none exists

He appeared to be not aware of the changes, he must have literally been the only guy in Thailand who wasn't aware.

Fair Comment . 

But he puts a big Dramatic Title " ...... Denied !! " and then its all about applying and waiting and he wasn't denied at all . I realise its Clickbait but he's been there a while and when I saw he was supposedly 'denied' I was surprised . I clicked and sure enough I got baited .

2 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Besides covid insurance for any entry, there isn't any separate O visa insurance requirement

isn't there a requirement for health insurance (in addition to the covid cover requirement) for NON-O-A from outside the country, and when extending?  but currently not for NON-O.

Archived