Covid Test Requirement To Extend Stay?

I have spent the past 10 months on 60 and 90 day extensions of my border stamp basically since they locked the borders down.

Richard Barrow has recently published new covid test requirements for all foreigners entering Thailand and living in Thailand for Jan 25th.

But there seems to be a lot of doubt over this on a few of the expat facebook groups.

Can anyone clarify for certain if this indeed applies to people like me who are just trapped in this 60 day extension rut?... Seems totally senseless if we are already here long term living among the population. Also the announcement published in the Royal Gazette simply shows covid as having been added to an existing list of banned conditions of which none actually even need proof showing an applicant does not have said conditions.

I mean, when was the last time you had to have a leprosy test to satisfy your visa application???

Once again, totally confusing sounds coming from immigration.

139857990_10158400680413787_562477159708497428_o.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The covid 19 rule has been in effect for some time now. That is why you have to get a test to enter the country.

The change to to section 12 of the immigration act is for those entering the country for a temporary permit to stay is just a formality to allow immigration to deny entries.

The change to section 44 is only for those with permanent residency since the are not included in section 12.

I did a google translate of the royal gazette this morning read what it said and compared it to the immigration act.

It will have no effect on those staying here on extension of stay or who are already in the country on a visa or visa exempt entry and those with permanent residency.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

The covid 19 rule has been in effect for some time now. That is why you have to get a test to enter the country.

The change to to section 12 of the immigration is for those entering the country for a temporary permit to stay is just a formality to allow immigration to deny entries.

The change to section 44 is only for those with permanent residency since the are not included in section 12.

I did a google translate of the royal gazette this morning read what is said and compared it to the immigration act.

It will have no effect on those staying here on extension of stay or who are already in the country on a visa or visa exempt entry and those with permanent residency.

Thanks so much.

The change to to section 12 of the immigration is for those entering the country for a temporary permit to stay is just a formality to allow immigration to deny entries.

I did a google translate of the royal gazette this morning read what is said and compared it to the immigration act.

But hysteria sure got mr barrow some traffic, didnt it?

For those who cannot find the original

PH

29 minutes ago, n00dle said:

But hysteria sure got mr barrow some traffic, didnt it?

This is not the firs time ????

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Thanks for clearing that up, we had hundreds of messages after he posted that statement... He caused a real panic.

19 minutes ago, Brewster67 said:

Barrow seems to be getting a lot of flack over this. My wife even read the statement from immigration and says no way does it say what he is claiming.

He certainly seems to be " getting ahead of himself " on such a sensitive issue bound to raise controversy.

I don't believe for a minute that those people who have been in Thailand on long stay permits, visas or extensions will be required to take a Covid19 test. It would be stupidity, even for this government.

I am sure I also saw some headline grabbing from Mr Barrow regarding Foreigners abd giving the scare mongering impression that they will not be offered Covid vaccines!

Again, I do not believe this either, because without a shadow of a doubt, the vaccine will be acquired by the private hospitals and offered to the masses.

This will be done for profit of course,  after all, this is Amazing Thailand.

17 minutes ago, ThaiVisaCentre said:

This is not the firs time ????

Thanks for clearing that up, we had hundreds of messages after he posted that statement... He caused a real panic.

He does say an immigration officer sent him a copy of the order in his Twitter stream

27 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

He does say an immigration officer sent him a copy of the order in his Twitter stream

Afaik he can read Thai, so he should have been able to understand it. It doesn't say anything about extensions, so I guess he made this up himself to get more attention.

10 hours ago, jackdd said:

Afaik he can read Thai, so he should have been able to understand it. It doesn't say anything about extensions, so I guess he made this up himself to get more attention.

Just the normal confusion between residency and permits to stay from extensions and entries to the country.

9 minutes ago, keithsimmonds said:

Just heard on the Monday News on the Pattaya Thread as it reads was the quote....as from the 25th of this month foreigners  will require a Covid test costing 6500baht available from Pattaya International hospital for extensions etc etc.

False info.

14 hours ago, fishtank said:

The day I rely on Richard barrow for my information will be the day I give up.

I hope that all those who lavished fulsome praise on him in this thread are now in the process of eating their words en masse:-

1 hour ago, anonymous1 said:

The Saturday, January 16 2021 CCSA MFA English press briefing.  Listen from 4:15 to about 5:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GnMf_HUQhU&t=4m15s

He says that next month, February 2021, all foreigners with work permits will have to get a Covid-19 test to renew their work permit. 

That's not what he says.

It would also only affect people who get an extension based on work, most people would be unaffected.

43 minutes ago, jackdd said:

That's not what he says.

It would also only affect people who get an extension based on work, most people would be unaffected.

Starting at the 5-minute mark he says, "However, the labor ministry has informed [us] that they are currently in the process of including Covid-19 in the list of diseases that foreign workers  must submit to certify that the applicant does not have any conditions.  The new regulation is expected to be effective next month."

The "however" is contrasting his previous statement that says currently the covid-free certificate is not required for foreign work permit holders.   Meaning it will be required next month.

Many people disagree with me but his message is pretty clear.  Next month, a covid test will be required for foreigners to renew their work permits.  I'm willing to bet on it.  Just watch.  I will come back to this thread and quote myself with an "I told you so"  next month.

1 hour ago, anonymous1 said:

The Saturday, January 16 2021 CCSA MFA English press briefing.  Listen from 4:15 to about 5:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GnMf_HUQhU&t=4m15s

He says that next month, February 2021, all foreigners with work permits will have to get a Covid-19 test to renew their work permit. 

"...no requirement to obtain the covid free covid test certificate"

Sorry, what? Is there a free covid test certificate? 

I don't understand what sense such a request could have.

Today I apply for visa extension by submitting a negative test to COVID 19 so everything is ok.

Then it happens that after a few days I attend any place where bad luck there are people infected by the virus and I am also infected by the virus, what do they do? Do they revoke the extension previously issued?

This seems absurd to me

5 minutes ago, Nobody55 said:

I don't understand what sense such a request could have.

Today I apply for visa extension by submitting a negative test to COVID 19 so everything is ok.

Then it happens that after a few days I attend any place where bad luck there are people infected by the virus and I am also infected by the virus, what do they do? Do they revoke the extension previously issued?

That is why it not going to be required.

It was reported on local news on Pattaya radio 103fm this morning that from January 25th anyone who makes a request for extension of stay must supply a covid negative certificate to immigration.

Don't shoot the messenger, i'm not saying this is true, only what our local radio station reported this morning

50 minutes ago, Geordieabroad said:

It was reported on local news on Pattaya radio 103fm this morning that from January 25th anyone who makes a request for extension of stay must supply a covid negative certificate to immigration.

Don't shoot the messenger, i'm not saying this is true, only what our local radio station reported this morning

I heard that.  In fact, here is the replay of that news from today, starting at the 2:16 mark.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfquy6JH60U&t=2m16s

Archived