Covid Test Requirement To Extend Stay?

3 hours ago, anonymous1 said:

I heard that.  In fact, here is the replay of that news from today, starting at the 2:16 mark.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfquy6JH60U&t=2m16s

I will believe this after I read the original Thai only. People who don't read Thai keep quoting a translation from a blurry version of the text started from Richard Barrow who I am not sure can read Thai or not. So I can't validate.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, wasabi said:

I will believe this after I read the original Thai only. People who don't read Thai keep quoting a translation from a blurry version of the text started from Richard Barrow who I am not sure can read Thai or not. So I can't validate.

Here is the original Thai version.  It matches what Richard Barrow posted.  This is the exact version in the Royal Gazette.  Please give us your translation.

https://www.thansettakij.com/content/covid_19/464488

28 minutes ago, wasabi said:

I posted a download of it in a reply to a earlier post you did on the previous page. Go back and look for it.

7 hours ago, anonymous1 said:

Starting at the 5-minute mark he says, "However, the labor ministry has informed [us] that they are currently in the process of including Covid-19 in the list of diseases that foreign workers  must submit to certify that the applicant does not have any conditions.  The new regulation is expected to be effective next month."

The "however" is contrasting his previous statement that says currently the covid-free certificate is not required for foreign work permit holders.   Meaning it will be required next month.

Many people disagree with me but his message is pretty clear.  Next month, a covid test will be required for foreigners to renew their work permits.  I'm willing to bet on it.  Just watch.  I will come back to this thread and quote myself with an "I told you so"  next month.

It's not clear if an actual Covid lab test will be required, it could just mean that a doctor will have a look at you to decide whether you might have it or not, same as with the other diseases on the list. Or did you ever have to get a lab test to show that you don't have for example Leprosy, Tubercolosis or Syphillis?

I'm not saying that a lab test won't be required, but it's definitely not certain now how they will handle it. This would also only be a work permit related matter, it is only indirectly related to immigration.

I have read the document. There is a lack of clarity what they mean in the first paragraph which dictates what the rest of the document is about which I could see leading to alarm. I can read the Thai but anyone could drop it in Google Translate and see the same.

กฎกระทรวง
กำหนดโรคต้องห้ำมสำหรับคนต่ำงด้ำวซึ่งเข้ำมำในรำชอำณำจักร
หรือเข้ำมำมีถิ่นที่อยู่ในรำชอำณำจักร
พ.ศ. ๒๕๖๓

Here they are referring to people coming into Thailand needing to be Covid Free but we know this already.

คนต่ำงด้ำวซึ่งเข้ำมำในรำชอำณำจักร

But this next part of the sentence could be read as "or who takes up residence in the Kingdom." I am not sure if that means entering the country to take up residence or people who are already residents which is most of us. If the latter is true that does lend some credence to the concern though one would think such a drastic sea change would be more widely publicized by now. I didn't see anything specifically mentioning when one requests an extension or anything else about visa processing for either group. Only being bared from entering and taking up residence.

หรือเข้ำมำมีถิ่นที่อยู่ในรำชอำณำจักร

There is another paragraph further down that essentially says foreigners with the list of diseases (including Covid 19) must be prohibited from entering and again states or having a place of residence.

ได้มีกำรแพร่ระบำดของโรคติดเชื้อไวรัสโคโรนำ 2019 หรือโรคโควิด 19 หรือโรคโควิด 19 เป็นโรคที่
ต้องห้ำมคนต่ำงด้ำวซึ่งเป็นโรคดังกล่ำวเข้ำมำในรำชอำณำจักร หรือเข้ำมำมีถิ่นที่อยู่ในรำชอำณำจักรด้วย
จึงจำเป็นต้องออกกฎกระทรวงนี้

However if one enters Thailand legally goes into ASQ and is found to have Covid I don't believe they are simply kicked out they are sent to a hospital to recover. As far as the latter bit having residence it is not clear to me if they mean foreigners residing here or immigrating with the purpose of residence. A literal translation might not suffice here. As far as the dates when this becomes effective that is mentioned.  I see the notice is dated Dec 25th and goes onto say it is effected 30 days from that date.

Ben Hart from Integrity legal did a recent video about this and he did not think it referred to people already here. However I didn't see any quotes about working or earning a living as he stated in the pdf document Ubon Joe linked.

I am not trying to create any controversy here but that is how I read the document. I can read and understand Thai but I am certainly not fluent so further clarification would be beneficial.

Mandatory COVID Tests for ALL Foreigners in Thailand? - YouTube

7 minutes ago, wasabi said:

I am not sure if that means entering the country to take up residence or people who are already residents which is most of us.

It means people who apply for permanent residency.

Most people here are temporary visitors, not residents.

5 minutes ago, jackdd said:

It means people who apply for permanent residency.

Most people here are temporary visitors, not residents.

After reading it several times that is what I think too. Even with Retirement or the Thailand Elite visa one is not considered a resident by the letter of Thai law as I understand it. Hence the need for reporting and extensions which are not required of permanent residents.

After 3 pages of conjecture, I will say this.

If in the future there is a requirement for foreigners currently in the Kingdom to have a 'Covid test', (or perhaps even be vaccinated) to renew their 'extension of stay/visa/permit', then of course we will have no choice but to abide by these rules.

As these type of requirements will probably be the norm with future airline travel, then it is logical that some type of test (and or vaccination) will be introduced for foreigners to renew their stay.

The world as we knew it before 2020, will never be the same for many years to come. We just all have to adapt.

10 hours ago, wasabi said:

But this next part of the sentence could be read as "or who takes up residence in the Kingdom." I am not sure if that means entering the country to take up residence or people who are already residents which is most of us.

Section 44 is under this chapter of the immigration act and is fore those applying for and having permanent residency after it is approved.

image.png.0b3b9518c0e31a63fe0c26fd5f580658.png

Section 44 states.

"Section 44 : No alien is authorized to take up residence in the Kingdom, if it appears that said alien :
1. has been punished with imprisonment by judgement or legal order of a Thai or foreign
country court, except a minor offense committed by negligence , or an offense exempted as prescribed by the Ministerial Regulations.
2. Is unable to earn his living because of mental defect or physical infirmity or having any
diseases as prescribed by Ministerial Regulations.
The provision of (2) shall not apply to an alien father, mother, husband, wife or child of the one having domicile within the Kingdom and is able to support each other."

It  was added to that chapter and section due to it not being shown in section 12 of chapter 4 of the immigration act. Those on with permanent residentency are not considered as being "aliens" in the immigration act.

Download the immigration act here. Immigration Act 2522 en - immigration.pdf

Also I do not know where they got the January 25th date for for it to start. The order states that it went into effect 10 days after it date it was published in the Royal gazette.

Google translate of it.

"Clause 1 This Ministerial Regulation shall come into force after the expiration of ten days from the date of the announcement of the Ministerial Business."

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Also I do not know where they got the January 25th date for for it to start. The order states that it went into effect 10 days after it date it was published in the Royal gazette.

The order says 30 days, maybe your translation is wrong

17 minutes ago, jackdd said:

The order says 30 days, maybe your translation is wrong

Actually my daughter says it is the spelling in Thai that is wrong. Google translate translates it differently until it is corrected.

So thirty days instead of ten. But is doesn't really matter since it will not have any effect on most people since they would not be entering the country with a covid 19 infection that shows symptoms at this time.

I think covid 19 tests will be required to board a flight to here for a long time. That will keep that even after the 14 day guarantee is gone. When there is zero risk of somebody being infected it may go away then.

1 minute ago, khunphil said:

So Richard Barrow was right about this all along when he posted about it at the weekend, despite being pilloried on another thread here on thaivisa....

3 minutes ago, mstevens said:

So Richard Barrow was right about this all along when he posted about it at the weekend, despite being pilloried on another thread here on thaivisa....

Seems so, meanwhile Phuket said they WON'T be doing it - i guess they didn't receive an internal order to <deleted> over all foreigners/immigrants yet but will get it too.

No one really knows - they just make this <deleted> up as they go, law is meaningless here. Gov workers interpret stuff how they want to. 

Somewhat ironically I need to extend my visa right around the time this change, whatever it is, goes into effect January 25th. So I will report back what happens but I would not be surprised if this is not mentioned at all. With Thailand who knows how it will be applied where, when and how?

As far as the translation I think the misspelling (leading to confusion) only occurs when copy and pasting from the pdf to Google Translate. I just tried it myself.

30 becomes สำมสิบ when pasted in Google Translate but the correct spelling is สามสิบ and visually that is what I see in the PDF prior to copying it. The vowel  ำ and าม both are pronounced "am" with slightly different lengths but both are not needed to write the word sam sip which is 30 but for some reason both appear when pasting. IDK maybe it is embodied that way in the PDF and I'm not seeing it.

So after pasting it into Google it ends up translating as either ten days or three ten days instead of 30. I have noticed similar problems sometimes when copying and pasting from various Thai documents into Microsoft Word or into a web page.

Capture.PNG

8 minutes ago, mstevens said:

Wise to wait for the official announcement.  Both Barrow and Khaosod are more interested in clicks than facts!

4 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Wise to wait for the official announcement.  Both Barrow and Khaosod are more interested in clicks than facts!

Bureau spokesman Archayon Kraithong said the new measure will make it mandatory for foreigners to obtain a proof of negative coronavirus test before visiting the immigration to extend their visa.

He said the stringent rule will apply to every type of visa, regardless of how long the foreigner has stayed in the country.

“It will become effective after Jan. 24,” Maj. Gen. Archayon said by phone. “This is in accordance with the new ministerial regulation and will apply to all types of visa.”

This guy is Pol.Maj.Gen. Archayon Kraithong Deputy Commissioner of Immigration Bureau , a bit more official than thaivisa posters i would say: http://www.suratimmigration.go.th/en/command.php

5 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

What nonsense. Barrow could have made a mint from his online activities but he has chosen not to accept advertising income. He is quite simply a genuinely helpful fellow who enjoys what he does. Why are so many people so cruel towards him. Seems like a whole lot of jealousy on thaivisa when it comes to Barrow. 

How far in advance can you get an extension? I have heard 30 days. My visa expires on Feb 23rd but Jan 23rd is a Saturday.

FWIW here is a delightful article quoting contradictory takes on the mandate.

UPDATE: Confusion over Covid-19 tests for visa extensions | The Thaiger

Even though Khun Kraithong  gave his take on it I still consider this unofficial until an announcement is made.

5 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

This guy is Pol.Maj.Gen. Archayon Kraithong Deputy Commissioner of Immigration Bureau , a bit more official than thaivisa posters i would say: http://www.suratimmigration.go.th/en/command.php

His position may indeed be high up, but if we limit examples of early information relases regarding covid, there is a litany of foreign affairs and immigration officials jumping the gun and providing misinformation.

This is not an official relaease, I will wait for one of those.

3 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Sars covid-19 testing is understandable. Being 2021 however Hansens' disease and lymphatic filariasis should be struck from the medical forms. 

PLOTTWIST: 

This is hilarious.

But one thing is for sure, Barrow is helpful and complaining all day long about thai stupidity HELPS (see tm30 form no one cares about anymore).

I stand by my statement: 

No one really knows - they just make this <deleted> up as they go, law is meaningless here. Gov workers interpret stuff how they want to. 

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Perhaps you're new to Thailand?!  

No i am not. 

No one living here long enough would be naive to think that they wouldn't come up with something this out of touch with reality.

You must be new here. All i am saying is tm30...

3 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

And it goes on, but Khaosad already reports that immigration backtracked due to OUTCRY ONLINE (thx richard).

Which makes my point exactly - don't rely on gossip from sites like Richard Barrow and Khaosod.  Wait for something official.  Surely you know that?

12 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Perhaps you're new to Thailand?!  

Perhaps you are naive? ...... or an extreme optimist if you think that Immigration will not apply the requirement from Monday 25th January.

(Caveat - unless they change their minds again!)

1 minute ago, hotandsticky said:

Perhaps you are naive? ...... or an extreme optimist if you think that Immigration will not apply the requirement from Monday 25th January.

(Caveat - unless they change their minds again!)

My comments are not regarding whether or not such a policy will be introduced - I wouldn't put anything past the Thai government.  My comments are that people who have experience of how the Thai government, police and media operate should not believe anything until it's OFFICIAL.  My point is being brilliantly proved here!!

Archived