Is it safe to leave a laptop unused here?

Hal65

I'm in pattaya and want to store my laptop in a drawer as I'm getting a new machine. It's cool now but the usually weather is around 88-90F at 70% humidity during daytime, 95% at night.

This laptop has needed a change of screen and maybe one other thing in 7 years. I'm curious if non-use makes it more vulnerable to heat and humidity.

why leave it in a draw ............recently bought a new laptop , repaired the charging problem with the old one. Old has a screen issue .

I now have the old laptop connected via HDMI cable permanently to the TV and store  any films I have on it.  It is also useful for watching streaming websites that will not mirror (inbedded streams).

Some people may say use Mirroring or an App and I do this also with a Andriod box and Firestick connected to the TV - but still find the laptop connected as an  extra add on a benefit

Also do not have to connect and disconnect the new laptop from the TV  - if you use your laptop currently with your tv.

I still find there are things that stream better  through websites running on my laptop potentially being a more powerful device for me. It can be a bit tiresome to boot up etc , but it does also keep my laptop  up to date with the latest maintenance.

There are other options you can use your laptop similar to this  - using it as a plex server, host Kodi from it etc and serve content to your tv and other devices,  

Just something for you to consider 

• Like 1

On 1/22/2021 at 12:38 PM, fdsa said:

No, it's not safe to leave electronics in the dark area, expect mold on rubber parts and rust on metal parts.

I'd suggest leaving the laptop on the table, so it would get a bit of sunlight.

In over 40 years of living in Asia I've never experienced this with any electronics that were left in drawers or cupboards. 

The only think I've seen is standard AA or AAA batteries that have leaked after a few years.

Laptops in my opinion degrade pretty quickly if unused for over 6 months.

Harder to reboot, slower, difficult to bring programmes up to speed again etc,as not updated along the way, but as to the actual hardware no problem just left where there is at least some airflow.

Why not let someone just use it once a week or so

2 hours ago, seancbk said:

In over 40 years of living in Asia I've never experienced this with any electronics that were left in drawers or cupboards. 

The only think I've seen is standard AA or AAA batteries that have leaked after a few years.

I got rust on metal ports (USB,HDMI,etc) on daily use laptop after 2 years living close to the sea, and mold on the rubber lid of another laptop that stayed one year in a dark closet.