Gyms and/or Universities

Hi there

I want to take up Muay Thai again, and as soon as it's possible to travel to Thailand again, I'll come. Can anyone recommend a gym? Fairtex in Bang Plee used to be good, but I mean like early 00s, probably super commercial now. I saw a few videos of the Tiger Muay Thai pro team try outs, and that looked good and real quality, but do they put in decent work & dedication for their non sponsored students?

I'd like a somewhat beginner friendly gym, as I haven't trained in over a decade, as I took up Boxing for a while.... I remember when I first started, it took me longer to learn the basics, because my muscle memory was all "wrong" (as in for Boxing), my stance was "wrong", etc. So obviously I'll probably have the same problem transitioning back, albeit to a lesser degree (i.e. I won't have to worry about overthinking, as now I don't have to hold back from kicking people in the thigh, liver or head, or kneeing/elbowing them in the face if they hold).

Also studying the sport itself at University sounds somewhat interesting. Does anyone here have any experience with that? I read somewhere that you can even get a visa for that. Any suggestions/links, that are up to date and relevant?

Thanks

• Haha 1

I have to talk myself up, because of the obvious ass whoopings I will take in sparring anyway.

But yeah, I don't know where you trained (or not), last I checked the stances are very different in Boxing and Muay Thai. I spent MONTHS with a <deleted> rope around my ankle, to "correct" it, when I switched first time. Because I kept going back into what I knew. And that's just the tip of the ice berg. You pick up habits in Muay Thai, that you simply can't use in Boxing and vice versa. For example excessive bobbing and weaving. It's a bad idea in MT, and a great way to get kicked in the face and moving right into it... Just like you can't throw people when they clinch you in Boxing.... I took many ass whippings in my first dozens of Boxing sparrings (even though these guys mostly resorted to windmilling, once a few punches landed) because I had to stop myself from doing stuff and remind myself that I can't do that here...

I guess if you had ever trained, esp. cross trained, you'd know that. Probably some arm chair guy, who watches MT on (insert thai channel here).... I looked, and I couldn't find any one with a record under your name (Dutch, I presume?). So I doubt you've ever trained, other than some "manager boxing" class or tae bo, maybe?

I will obv start training here again first, since it will prolly be a while b4 they get off their elite visa trip.

Also what's wrong with wanting to study something that's interesting, esp. if you can allegedly get a visa for it (if I knew whether that's a) true and b) still applies, in this <deleted> up covid world, I wouldn't have to ask, would I?).

But again, thanks for your helpful input :)))

• 2 months later...
On 1/18/2021 at 6:53 AM, FarangULong said:

I have to talk myself up, because of the obvious ass whoopings I will take in sparring anyway.

But yeah, I don't know where you trained (or not), last I checked the stances are very different in Boxing and Muay Thai. I spent MONTHS with a <deleted> rope around my ankle, to "correct" it, when I switched first time. Because I kept going back into what I knew. And that's just the tip of the ice berg. You pick up habits in Muay Thai, that you simply can't use in Boxing and vice versa. For example excessive bobbing and weaving. It's a bad idea in MT, and a great way to get kicked in the face and moving right into it... Just like you can't throw people when they clinch you in Boxing.... I took many ass whippings in my first dozens of Boxing sparrings (even though these guys mostly resorted to windmilling, once a few punches landed) because I had to stop myself from doing stuff and remind myself that I can't do that here...

I guess if you had ever trained, esp. cross trained, you'd know that. Probably some arm chair guy, who watches MT on (insert thai channel here).... I looked, and I couldn't find any one with a record under your name (Dutch, I presume?). So I doubt you've ever trained, other than some "manager boxing" class or tae bo, maybe?

I will obv start training here again first, since it will prolly be a while b4 they get off their elite visa trip.

Also what's wrong with wanting to study something that's interesting, esp. if you can allegedly get a visa for it (if I knew whether that's a) true and b) still applies, in this <deleted> up covid world, I wouldn't have to ask, would I?).

But again, thanks for your helpful input :)))

Yeah, he sounds like a "all show, no go - run to the cops" clown.  Well handled Bro. (I put him  on ignore)

Cheers.