If you weren't in Thailand, where would you be?

1 hour ago, mr_lob said:

We moved to the Algarve after 16 years in Thailand.

It ticks all the boxes and more.

Oh..and I should add that the typical portuguese breakfast in Tomar after a long nights fiesta..was..

A thick Turkish coffee

A small cream cake

a glass of white rum...

(bola,bica,aquiadente)

God help us all...

• Like 1

Probably Spain or some south American country.

Spain the easiest because of EU citizenship and freedom of movement, labor, etc.

Have been to Venezuela, Chile, Argentina and Bolivia.

I felt safe everywhere as single traveling backpacker. To live there probably Chile or Argentina. Those are the most stable and reliable countries I would say.

Can't think of another SE Asian country that is better in terms of permanent living standards / infrastructure than Thailand (I'm not talking about holidays).

China maybe, a bit scared of privacy intrusion of government, no free internet etc.

India has clear bonus of English spoken widely but I didn't like the widespread poverty and huge differences in society.

At my age and stage of life I will go back to the UK sometime soon. I love it here and have been here on and off for 20 years. The people the food and the weather are all wonderful. Back in England I would get a big increase on my pension payments (almost double) be covered health wise for free and go visit family friends and places I have not seen for many years. Having said that if I was younger and had to go somewhere other than Thailand it would be Arizona in the USA or Antiqua  

• Like 2

Mexico. 

Short drive to USA, good weather, mountains , sea, beaches, good food, easy language to learn, easy citizenship. 

I grew up in south Texas and traveled extensively in Mexico. Learned spanish in grade school, love Mexican food. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

13 The weather is too warm in Thailand for snowflakes. They melt. 

Anyone that thinks the weather is nice is Thailand is kidding themselves.

Maybe if you are in love with monsoon rains and droughts.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

9 hours ago, Tagged said:

For an europeen it is more convinient to live in Thailand,  and everything is better than Florida except the skudiving, Florida mexican food and the fishing!

Never been so cold as I have been in Florida in january and I am from Norway. Bonecold! 

And the politics, people and so on I prefer still Thailand. But nothing can beat a local biker bar or just a local bar where the locals got their car parked outside with the winchester racked in the back window and they think american wrestling is proper entertainment instead of music. 

I spent enought time in florida the be sure I still prefer Thailand for its good and bad

Edit note: And I forgot, Florida is the only place in the world where the police hold me at gun point for speeding on motorbike! In thailand you makes selfies with the police

You are from Norway and this January 2021 is 50f degrees in Florida at the lowest overnight and you are bone-killing cold? I am still wearing shorts.

You must love military politics, coups, corruption, lack of action of the government ever moving the country forward?

You know people you described at local biker bars all treat each other with respect. And they do watch wrestling. How many places do you hang out in Thailand where you absolutely hate the kind of people? You like all the bar-stool drunks in Nana? Why you would you hang out at a biker bar, if you are scared and do not like the type of people? Americans are brought up with guns. They are not scared of them like you. How many guns do you have in Thailand?

Why not hang out at a Thai temple in Florida, since you like being in Thailand so much it is the exact same thing.

You are fooling yourself if you think Thai police are their to take selfies with you. If they loved you so much, you wouldn't have to worry about VISA's and all the immigration rules or getting stopped in the first place. More false bravado.

Like I said, Florida has Thai temples with Thai monks, Thai food court, Thai people that all speak English. No Thai people watching wrestling there or having guns in the 4X4's.

Thai restaurants a heck of lot cleaner than eating Thai food off the street. 

I suspect you have no avenue to live in the US and cannot afford it, so Thailand is your only option.

However, don't be so quick to disconnect Florida has all things Thai as well.

Ask yourself why/how so many Thai's can afford to live in Florida, own their own home, business, etc. and have everything Thai they could ever want?

You should stop by a Thai temple in Florida and see how many Thai's are driving Benz, BMW, Corvettes. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, 2009 said:

1. They do a very good job of handling their protests, problems n all that in a grown up manner, unlike some other countries I can think of. In general, they are very amicable and respectful. In general, peaceful and fairy sensible nation.

2. The US. Are you aware of the healthcare system they have? Even the UK. I personally know 3 people whose cancer went undiagnosed cos the GP felt that an x-ray and basic blood testing was too much for their budget. My dad's cancer was diagnosed in an Isaan government hospital. Turns out he had it 5 years. The professor doing his case study in the UK shook his head in shame when he heard the symptoms my dad's GP ignored.

3. Well, I live a great standard if living for less than "back home"

4. I like the immigration system; better than Thailand turning into Somalia. Can't remember the last time I was scammed or the victim of corruption. Air quality, ok. I will give you that. Phuket however has the same air quality the western world, if you believe the app data. Always green.

5. Can't remember the last time I was the victim of dual pricing.

6. Nah, some places are really boring.

7. Been here since 2009, never seen a fight, or violence. Now, in the UK it is a different story. You get bashed for fun by teenagers. The police call it "recreational violence" there. Bizarre term for a developed nation to have. How many dangerous ghettos are there here? I reckon half the housing estates around major UK cities would be dangerous to just go wandering in. You can walk around Bangkok, or any city without concern, day or night. They don't have "rough areas" here. Khlong Toei Port maybe only.

8. Well, I could live in the West and be hated for being a straight white male, or I could live in Japan where nobody will sit beside me on the train cos am white, or be not allowed in entertainment venues due to not being Japanese. I will take the "farang farang" thing. Thanks. Seems the lesser of evils. And often, it works in my favour. Lol. So it balances out.

9. I love the rainy season. I love the cool season. Right now, beautiful weather. March and April are too hot, yes.

10. What's your idea of high quality food? Okay, you don't have good beef or salmon, but the local offerings are delicious. And there is SO much choice, everywhere.

11. Yeah, safest place I have lived. No concern of getting bashed by a Thai for no reason just cos it is 3am and he has had too much to drink.

12. You have the SkyTrain, underground, riverboats, taxis, motorcycle taxis, tuk tuks, buses. What more do you want? Outside of Bangkok traffic ain't heavy. You can do everything at 7eleven (e.g. book a bus ticket, train, flight, pay any bill, pay a bank loan) etc etc. Street food right outside your home, unless you live in a rice field. How could it be any more convenient.

1. They do a very good job of handling their protests, problems n all that in a grown up manner, unlike some other countries I can think of. In general, they are very amicable and respectful. In general, peaceful and fairy sensible nation.

Military coups is not handling things in a grown up manner. Remember the red shirt/yellow shirt clashes and people were killed?

2. The US. Are you aware of the healthcare system they have? Even the UK. I personally know 3 people whose cancer went undiagnosed cos the GP felt that an x-ray and basic blood testing was too much for their budget. My dad's cancer was diagnosed in an Isaan government hospital. Turns out he had it 5 years. The professor doing his case study in the UK shook his head in shame when he heard the symptoms my dad's GP ignored.

I have excellent healthcare at the VA hospital in my town. Best I have ever had anywhere.

3. Well, I live a great standard if living for less than "back home"

Sure, that is why people move to third would countries and put up with all the bad things like corruption, coups, traffic, air pollution, language, cleanliness etc. If they could have that standard at home why move? Once again Florida has Thai temples, Thai restaurants, Thai grocery stores. Thai's all speak English. Own they own homes, drive fancy cars like Benz, BMW, Corvette. How is it they can move to Florida from Thailand and be able to afford all this? Plus no VISA hassles for them!

4. I like the immigration system; better than Thailand turning into Somalia. Can't remember the last time I was scammed or the victim of corruption. Air quality, ok. I will give you that. Phuket however has the same air quality the western world, if you believe the app data. Always green.

You are probably the only person to admit they like immigration. How much land did you say you owned in your own name? You are tolerated there but not even giving basic rights to own land or stay there more than a year without someone's approval that can change the rules from year to year.

5. Can't remember the last time I was the victim of dual pricing.

You must not go anywhere or read any of the forums. 

6. Nah, some places are really boring.

There are boring places every where.

7. Been here since 2009, never seen a fight, or violence. Now, in the UK it is a different story. You get bashed for fun by teenagers. The police call it "recreational violence" there. Bizarre term for a developed nation to have. How many dangerous ghettos are there here? I reckon half the housing estates around major UK cities would be dangerous to just go wandering in. You can walk around Bangkok, or any city without concern, day or night. They don't have "rough areas" here. Khlong Toei Port maybe only.

Every city in the world has bad areas. You just don't know where they are in Thailand. Get off the beaten tourist areas into the underbelly of Bangkok. Why would you go there in the first place?

8. Well, I could live in the West and be hated for being a straight white male, or I could live in Japan where nobody will sit beside me on the train cos am white, or be not allowed in entertainment venues due to not being Japanese. I will take the "farang farang" thing. Thanks. Seems the lesser of evils. And often, it works in my favour. Lol. So it balances out.

No one hates me for being white. I lived in Japan and had an awesome time. I think maybe people may not like you personally, not what color you are. You haven't figured out you are tolerated in Thailand because of being an ATM.

9. I love the rainy season. I love the cool season. Right now, beautiful weather. March and April are too hot, yes.

Do you love monsoon rain season where it rains so much there is 2 feet of water in the streets in no time causing massive traffic jams for hours?

10. What's your idea of high quality food? Okay, you don't have good beef or salmon, but the local offerings are delicious. And there is SO much choice, everywhere.

It's not just beef or salmon. Chinese food? Mexican food? Greek Food? Mediterranean Food? The list goes on and on. Thai versions are horrible.

11. Yeah, safest place I have lived. No concern of getting bashed by a Thai for no reason just cos it is 3am and he has had too much to drink.

You ever read the story last year of the 70 year old couple and their kid that were bashed up in Hua Hin? What kind of culture bashes up old people? How about the 100's of stories where 10 Thai's jump in to bash up 1 farang? You have your head in the sand. Watch Youtube and you will get an idea.

12. You have the SkyTrain, underground, riverboats, taxis, motorcycle taxis, tuk tuks, buses. What more do you want? Outside of Bangkok traffic ain't heavy. You can do everything at 7eleven (e.g. book a bus ticket, train, flight, pay any bill, pay a bank loan) etc etc. Street food right outside your home, unless you live in a rice field. How could it be any more convenient.

Street food is dirty, cheap oil and unhealthy. Bangkok, the air pollution will get worse and worse and worse. Why go to 7/11 when you can do all of that online? Most people in the US have multiple cars and can go where they want, when they want. Public transportation is for those that have no other choice.

Thailand basically comes down to a choice where people can afford to live better than their own country. But it is NOT without massive tradeoffs. Thailand is no Utopia. Rules can change at any time. You are simply a tolerated guest.

• Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, Nemises said:

A car is essential for me.  Foreign retirees are not permitted to own cars in many countries, including Vietnam. 

Absolutely false

i just googled it

foreigners can now own and drive cars

• Like 1

For the past few years, I've been living in Laos (I moved away from Thailand due to 'red tape' and nosey officials).  Laos is perfect for me right now, but the single fly in the ointment is the poor medical infrastructure.  I'm healthy right now, and do have a $million private health policy.  But if/as my health declines in advancing years, I'll probably have to move to a country with a better hospital care system.

I used to live in Andorra, and loved it!  Their healthcare system is one of the best in the world, and - perhaps a surprise to some - you don't have to be rich to live a good life in little Andorra.

9 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

You are from Norway and this January 2021 is 50f degrees in Florida at the lowest overnight and you are bone-killing cold? I am still wearing shorts.

You must love military politics, coups, corruption, lack of action of the government ever moving the country forward?

You know people you described at local biker bars all treat each other with respect. And they do watch wrestling. How many places do you hang out in Thailand where you absolutely hate the kind of people? You like all the bar-stool drunks in Nana? Why you would you hang out at a biker bar, if you are scared and do not like the type of people? Americans are brought up with guns. They are not scared of them like you. How many guns do you have in Thailand?

Why not hang out at a Thai temple in Florida, since you like being in Thailand so much it is the exact same thing.

You are fooling yourself if you think Thai police are their to take selfies with you. If they loved you so much, you wouldn't have to worry about VISA's and all the immigration rules or getting stopped in the first place. More false bravado.

Like I said, Florida has Thai temples with Thai monks, Thai food court, Thai people that all speak English. No Thai people watching wrestling there or having guns in the 4X4's.

Thai restaurants a heck of lot cleaner than eating Thai food off the street. 

I suspect you have no avenue to live in the US and cannot afford it, so Thailand is your only option.

However, don't be so quick to disconnect Florida has all things Thai as well.

Ask yourself why/how so many Thai's can afford to live in Florida, own their own home, business, etc. and have everything Thai they could ever want?

You should stop by a Thai temple in Florida and see how many Thai's are driving Benz, BMW, Corvettes. 

Sounds more that you try to convince yourself and not me. 

The sad thing is, the poverty in Florida is great, why?

—30c in northern part of Norway, no problem, we have clothes, houses and cars that handle it. 0c or 32f in Florida ? And the summer in florida to hot. 

The only food I miss from Florida is the mexican food they make there, and thats it. two places in the world I had food poisenig, and that have been Florida and Thailand. 

The bikers in florida, is more of wannabees, look tough, but,,,,, well, as long they stay in larger groups, yes, . Respect for others? Really? 

Why do you talk about temples? Im not a buddhist, and vere rear I visit temples, if I do, it is because of lacation and the view meybe. 

And I have no visa trouble so no need to worry about that. And what do you really know about my economic situation? 

If Florida is that good, I am wondering why so many americans came here in the first place. 

And american politics and Thai, not much difference. Banana states is what we call them. 

Chill down sir

9 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

Google it

sorry it’s fact

perhaps you were unaware of it

ive driven there for years 

I did google it and can't find anything to confirm that a retired foreigner can own a car in Vietnam.

You claim you googled it but you will not/can not provide your link? Interesting...

38 minutes ago, Nemises said:

I did google it and can't find anything to confirm that a retired foreigner can own a car in Vietnam.

You claim you googled it but you will not/can not provide your link? Interesting...

I’m not computer savvy to link? It?

I just googled it again 

both own and drive is possible 

must have insurance, valid passport, and be living there 

• Like 1