If you weren't in Thailand, where would you be?

5 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

I’m not computer savvy to link? It?

I just googled it again 

both own and drive is possible 

must have insurance, valid passport, and be living there 

Not disagreeing with you. 

Just looking for a link confirming what you claim as I have had recent, reliable information from others who have lived in Vietnam that they, as retired foreigners, were NOT allowed to own a car there.

Thanks anyway for your comments, but a reliable website link is needed before I pack up and head to Vietnam to live and expect to be able to own and drive a car there ????

On 1/17/2021 at 10:38 PM, Natai Beach said:

There isn’t anywhere.

Thailand is miles ahead of second place, wherever that may be.

I probably would have stayed living in Australia, but probably moved from cold Melbourne to sunny Queensland but that would not have given me a life even half as good as Thailand does.

nothing better than Melbourne in late spring/early summer. The rest of the time it’s a total <deleted> shoot temperature wise lol

19 hours ago, khunano said:

May I ask where in Malaysia do you live? I am considering the country (Penang) to spend winters there sometime in future. I am back in my native country in Europe, lived in Thailand for 23 years, liked it most of the time, not sure whether I want to go back there though for an extended period of time, too many things have changed....

KL, but thats because of work. I do travel around malaysia quite a lot for work.

Penang, great place, if i could move there i would. May want to also look at langkawi, its completely duty free so beer is much more reasonable and stunning main beach. A bit boring, which is why i think penang is better.

For east malaysia i recommend kota kinibalu in sabah. Well worth considering.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, earlinclaifornia said:

I like Indonesia as well. Bali though is my personal experience. Vietnam too is good but I did get bored there.

I have been to jarkarta a few times, dont like it at all. Never went to bali, too many of us aussies there. But lombok i did like.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nemises said:

Not disagreeing with you. 

Just looking for a link confirming what you claim as I have had recent, reliable information from others who have lived in Vietnam that they, as retired foreigners, were NOT allowed to own a car there.

Thanks anyway for your comments, but a reliable website link is needed before I pack up and head to Vietnam to live and expect to be able to own and drive a car there ????

I can assure you I have friends that own cars, although not retired, perhaps that makes a difference, but I can’t see it.

perhaps this was old news and things have changed, but without question, a foreigner can own, buyand drive a car in 

vietnam 

i will ask if it makes a difference if you are retired. I’ll see what they say, maybe you are correct???

5 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

I can assure you I have friends that own cars, although not retired, perhaps that makes a difference, but I can’t see it.

perhaps this was old news and things have changed, but without question, a foreigner can own, buyand drive a car in 

vietnam 

i will ask if it makes a difference if you are retired. I’ll see what they say, maybe you are correct???

Yes it is possible. A friend has a TRC

these make it possible 

905EF9C2-1DA8-49D0-BFA4-ED2502CF1F42.png

On 1/17/2021 at 10:15 PM, teacherclaire said:

Portugal seems to be nice. And the Senoritas are great, too. 

Portugal, with its welcoming locals and pleasant climate, offers expats a very good quality of life. ... Portugal attracts an above-average percentage of retirees. It also ranks in the top 10 for family life. Expats enjoy the climate and weather.

Blue Skies and Warm Smiles

Portugal ranks an impressive 6th out of 68 countries in the overall results for 2018. In three indices, the country ranks in the top 10, including fifth for ease of settling in and second for quality of life.

Expat Insider 2018: The Pros & Cons of Expat Life in Portugal | InterNations

Portugal is nice, especially Algarve; One little problem: very expensive in razors; Portuguese ladies tend to be very hairy. Maybe better Costa Del Sol  in Spain.... Or Barcelona. 

20 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

"Unlike you" is not implying where anyone lives.

Stop with the personal remarks as you do not have a clue as to the state of my "happiness".

Do it next time and I will report you.

To whom???? Was it report or deport??:cheesy:????:cheesy:

23 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

13 The weather is too warm in Thailand for snowflakes. They melt. 

The climate is changing rapidly....And if they can have a snow-glide in the middle of Quatar or is it Dubai ( don't remember ) why not in the middle of Issaan???:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:  

On 1/17/2021 at 10:01 PM, 2009 said:

After all this time I still think Thailand is an excellent choice for an expat.

In no particular order, just shooting from the hip: 

1. highly socially developed people (except when driving)

2. sophisticated healthcare

3. affordable 

4. good standard of living

5. lots of fun

6. many things to see and do

7. friendly and polite (mostly) people

8. not too much racism

9. pretty good weather

10. great selection of food

11. safe

12  almost everything is easy and convenient

Probably the only thing I would change is the drivers.

I struggle to think of anywhere I have been that ticks so many boxes. Actually, I can't think of anywhere.

If I wasn't here I am really not sure where I would be. Definitely not China. I don't think Japan. Not Laos or Malaysia. I like Indonesia, but I don't think I would want to live there.

Couldn't see myself living in South America. Africa, hmmm...never been, can't say. I like India, but who knows if I could really live there. North America, no chance. 

Europe would be too boring, backward, and PC. 

Vietnam would be my next choice, I think. Maybe Cambodia.

What about you?

You can rub #12 right off your list, does this bullying unelected "PM" and his crew not bother you at all?

You are sure among the very minority of posters who would agree with #12.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2021 at 10:25 PM, Jingthing said:

My choices are greatly limited by visa regulations.

So if not Thailand, then possibly

Colombia

Mexico

USA (there's always that)

Philippines

Panama

So why come to Thailand? All the countries you mention are very US related. Maybe the beaches?

On 1/17/2021 at 10:38 PM, Natai Beach said:

There isn’t anywhere.

Thailand is miles ahead of second place, wherever that may be.

I probably would have stayed living in Australia, but probably moved from cold Melbourne to sunny Queensland but that would not have given me a life even half as good as Thailand does.

Australia is great if you have lots of money/assets. I'm from Brisbane, but I also like Perth - hundreds of km of white beaches and not many people. Thailand is better on a tight budget. But if you only have a pension to live on and have to pay rent in Australia - it sucks. 

• Like 1

Just now, Neeranam said:

I wandered around Bangkok for years very drunk and was also very safe ???? If I had done the same in Glasgow/Edinburgh/Aberdeen, I'd have been killed. Brasil also, extremely dangerous place.

You ever wander around Tobermory, Salen , Dervaig drunk?

I have.:cheesy::cheesy:

2 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Australia is great if you have lots of money/assets. I'm from Brisbane, but I also like Perth - hundreds of km of white beaches and not many people. Thailand is better on a tight budget. But if you only have a pension to live on and have to pay rent in Australia - it sucks. 

That's where I'm heading when I sell my Bitcoin ???? I love Melbourne but also been and like Brisbane. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, colinneil said:

You ever wander around Tobermory, Salen , Dervaig drunk?

I have.:cheesy::cheesy:

Actually, no. I have only been there sober, when I was a kid and 5 years ago with my daughter. My grandmother came from there. Now Skye, never been there sober, a few tales I could tell about there.  

• Haha 1

On 1/17/2021 at 10:25 PM, Jingthing said:

My choices are greatly limited by visa regulations.

So if not Thailand, then possibly

Colombia

Mexico

USA (there's always that)

Philippines

Panama

Excellent choices.  But with Covid, not sure they are all good right now. 

Right now, Thailand is one of the best places to be.  Just can't leave or it's tough getting back!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Neeranam said:

Actually, no. I have only been there sober, when I was a kid and 5 years ago with my daughter. My grandmother came from there. Now Skye, never been there sober, a few tales I could tell about there.  

You missed some great nights then, Salen village hall saturday night dances, girls sitting 1 side of the hall, men on the other, happy days.

• Haha 1

Just now, colinneil said:

You missed some great nights then, Salen village hall saturday night dances, girls sitting 1 side of the hall, men on the other, happy days.

I'm sure. Reminds me of the Highland games I used to go to. One of my dreams is to retire to a bothy on Mull, great people. 

14 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Don’t really agree. I retired in my thirties. 
weekends are ok, but during the week, there just isn’t a lot to do, everyone is busy at work.
Xmas and New year is good, with everyone holidaying and partying but the rest of the year? 
People are work and money obsessed and have forgotten how to live. 

The elderly have got it going on during the week, but I didn’t want to hang with them. 

I don’t get that dead boring feeling living in Thailand. It has more of a 24/7 party vibe IMO. 

plus I find the aggressive , beefy, feminist brain washed rough women a bit annoying.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Natai Beach said:

Don’t really agree. I retired in my thirties. 
weekends are ok, but during the week, there just isn’t a lot to do, everyone is busy at work.
Xmas and New year is good, with everyone holidaying and partying but the rest of the year? 
People are work and money obsessed and have forgotten how to live. 

The elderly have got it going on during the week, but I didn’t want to hang with them. 

I don’t get that dead boring feeling living in Thailand. It has more of a 24/7 party vibe IMO. 

plus I find the aggressive , beefy, feminist brain washed rough women a bit annoying.

Interesting.  I retired early and found that back in the US, I was hanging around much older folk who didn't have to work and had plenty of time to do things.  Those who worked had 2 days off a week, and a few weeks off a year.  They cut the grass, paid bills, played with the kids during these times.  Their lives were pretty full and they stuck close to a circle of friends. 

I've found it much easier to meet people here.  Of all ages.  Love your last sentence. :cheesy:

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Spain, Denia to be precise, up in the mountains of the Costa Blanca. This villa was the plan until my plans changed after a holiday in Thailand lol

Villa 1 (496x369) (496x369).jpg

First place I went to in Spain re 1978.

Love the username BTW. 

• Thanks 1