Get second year of ED Visa without leaving Thailand?

Hello Guys,

I am under 50 years old and currently on a ED Visa which is valid till April. I got that after I came in to Thailand last year in April. I always attended all classes and will attend them in the future, so I am not someone who wants to abuse this Visa.
My question is, if I can get a second year of ED Visa for Thai Language without leaving Thailand?

I am confused as some Agencies and schools say "No, its not possible as I have to leave the country and come back to convert from TR to ED" and some Visa agencies and Language schools say "If I get a a letter from my current school which states that I only studied to Beginner Level they can accept me to a advanced Thai class without leaving the country due this current Covid Situation the government will make exceptions and convert ED to ED Visa."  Btw it is a non formal Language school and Not a University. 

I am skeptical if this is really legal and allowed to do so. Some Visa agencies just said to me "Up to you, but we can do" when I started to questioning many things about how it's legally done without leaving the country. 
Does anyone know about that rules and if this is legal? I don't want to do anything against Thai Laws and don't want to get scammed over with a financial loss and possibly a legal problem with authorities if random Visa checks outside happens or when I leave the country sometime in the future.

Please forgive me my English if I made some mistakes, as I am from Switzerland.

You non-ed visa expired over a year ago. You have been getting 90 day extensions of the 90 day permit to stay it allowed.

This from the immigration order for extension of stay.

"(2) In case of non-formal school, each permission shall be granted for a period certified by the educational institution, for no more than 90 days, total length of stay shall not exceed one year from the date of entering the Kingdom."

A school might be able to arrange a exception to the rule due to the current covid 19 situation. At this time you would not be able to leave and re-enter the country with a new non-ed visa to continue your studies.

Yes, this rule (as quoted above by ubonjoe) exists, but some immigration offices ignore it for some tea money from the school (you pay the school for the "visa service", they pay immigration).

I think the IOs see this as being an exception due to the Covid situation, and I wouldn't expect future problems from it. At least it's more legit than a volunteer visa/extension without actually doing any volunteering.

12 minutes ago, UKJASE said:

i got my third ED visa in April, and this was achieved without leaving the country

My immigration office was very helpful

Which Immigration Office did you go and do you go to a formal university or a non formal language school? What are the fees?

8 minutes ago, Muangan said:

Which Immigration Office did you go and do you go to a formal university or a non formal language school? What are the fees?

i went hua hin mate.  A language school......

was 25 k to the school and 12 k for the visa

On 1/18/2021 at 7:26 PM, oMega69 said:

Isent there a risk when leave the country later on if IO check stamps and see u did get the ED visa here inside TH instead of etc LAO. , stayed in the country over 12month in total.

Immigration at the airport on departure will not care. There is a miniscule chance that a crackdown on such extensions outside the regulations might involve you, but the chance is less than a thousand to one.

13 minutes ago, UKJASE said:

i went hua hin mate.  A language school......

was 25 k to the school and 12 k for the visa

So 37k. That's not too far short of current price for non O (volunteering) + 12 month extension. I know which one I would choose, however some people want to attend class it would seem.

On 1/19/2021 at 4:14 PM, DrJack54 said:

So 37k. That's not too far short of current price for non O (volunteering) + 12 month extension. I know which one I would choose, however some people want to attend class it would seem.

Which one would you choose? Is the volunteer Visa without actually Volunteering a solution? And can you recommend a Agency that successfully converted many cases from ED to Volunteer Visa? Can that Visa really be extended year after year without leaving Thailand? What happens if you get asked by a immigration officer somewhere if you really work as a volunteer or not? Should I lie to him and say yes I volunteer, even I would living in Bangkok and have only a rental contract in Bangkok but the NGO is in Khon Khaen and the Visa was made in Khon Khaen... What do you say in a Situation like this? Lie to the officer or just pretend you volunteer but you are right now in bangkok to do holiday? 

Archived