Thailand's Covid-19 situation 'not a cause for concern yet'

webfact

1 hour ago, kiwikeith said:

Will they tighten Sir Fish Heads access to Myamer slaves smuggled across the border by the enlightened ones staff.

Next time make sure they wear masks whilst being smuggled ,and put them into quarantine at the fish factory where they can work as well as be under quarantine.

If they need face masks during quarantine and covid tests add this onto the debt they have to pay to Sir Fish Head.

As for the costs that Fish Head has put upon Thailand ignore this.

Also grant exemption for health and covid insurance as if they get sick dump them back across the border and bring in  fresh produce.

Hmmm.  These comments just as the incoming CDC director declares that increased testing and analysis of strains is important.   She plans to massively increase vaccinations.  Thailand might be lucky and get to mid-year when the vaccines are widely available without an outbreak of the much more contagious strains taking root in the country but, then again, it may not be that lucky.  We could see a huge wave of infections.  Here in Central Bangkok, people are no longer respecting social distancing.   This is no time to relax.  Thailand should remain vigilant until the Vaccines are widely available.  For us elderly, COVID can be a death sentence.

To see the results of what carelessness can do, have a look at the news about Orange County, CA.  If you PM me, I can provide a link to the article.  I lived in Orange County for ten years.  It is the location of Little Saigon and has a high population of Vietnamese.

2 hours ago, Captor said:

In a country with 70 mill people? No! But with 25 000+ deaths on the streets... that raises my concern. And 8% of the elderly people dying from impact of the air pollution. Now, THAT is something to talk about.

You are right, but nothing to do with Covid and which only addresses the remark made in the headline.

21 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I don't think you can enter Thailand or Australia without quarantine.Actually you can enter Thailand without quarantining but it's not legal to do so!

Yes, as an Aussie waiting to be vaccinated before I get back to Thailand, am acutely aware of travel to and from both countries. Am referring to Europe where they have a green list of countries, of which Thailand is one of five, see my link.

Trying to get people to understand that despite occasional hiccups, world authorities acknowledge Thailand's relative success, including the WHO and John Hopkins University who both monitor global performance in managing Covid.

Edited by Donga
  • Like 1

Just now, Donga said:

Am referring to Europe where they have a green list of countries, of which Thailand is one of five, see my link.

Trying to get people to understand that despite occasional hiccups, world authorities acknowledge Thailand's relative success, including the WHO and John Hopkins University who both monitor global performance in managing Covid.

I suspected that you may have been referring to that but wasn't sure, and I agree that Thailand has been relatively successful in keeping the numbers of infections and deaths low and especially enjoy the lack of hysteria of mass testing.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, smedly said:

This can only be determined by mass random testing 

How many people has Thailand tested to reach this conclusion - what is the "R-Rate" across the country

Without the above you can not determine anything 

The R rate means nothing as the R number could refer to either the basic reproduction number, known as the R nought or zero (R0), or the effective reproduction number (Re). R0 describes how many people each infected person will infect on average, assuming that there is no pre-existing immunity in the community.

Its a buzz word in effect of no real value and can only be helpful in interpreting data trends but should never be viewed as a surrogate for good data.

The data the population need to see should be more focused and transparent with a 'drill' down of actual deaths from COVID 19, ONLY not an assumption - and /or not people who - as per the UK have tested positive from a PCR test in the last 28 days to constitute as a 'case', which is well know to return false negative results clearly stated by the BMJ. 

A 'case' is NOT a death or sickness, this is important to understand as lockdowns are being driven by 'no of cases' based on transmission rates from PCR.

Attached is an official freedom of Information request to an NHS trust done recently, the website and the actual death rate are NOT aligned based on the specific request as stated in the FOI.  

Time to question the D v R rates for sure, Thailand I think have reported the actual deaths correctly - hence so low - this is my assumption and not fact.

I'm sure TV will delete this ( AS USUAL) but everything can be 'fact checked' by the BMJ website and by contacting the attached NHS trust quoting the references listed ....

FOI NHS.pdf

Edited by KateSpade
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand's Covid-19 situation 'not a cause for concern yet'

By The Nation

..."Infection rate of 10.2 per cent and 0.4 per cent respectively per 100,000 population."

This makes no sense.  Does the government official actually talk nonsense like this, or is it the reporter who mixes up percentages and rate per 100,000.   If it's percentage it should be divided by 1000, or 0.012 percent cumulative and 0.0004 percent daily, otherwise it's 10.2 cases per 100,000 population cumulative and 0.4 cases per 100,000 (or 1 case per 250,000) populations daily.  

Then again, how does anyone know, without testing.

6 hours ago, Donga said:

If you have effective contact tracing as Thailand does, testing is not as critical compared to the vast majority of European and American countries where they've lost control and must test to try rein in their infection numbers.

Many on this forum have been saying there was all this Covid in Thailand not being reported. Then the ladies returned from Myanmar, followed by the outbreak in Samut Sakhom, which were both covered in detail and managed through the processes acknowledged by the WHO and John Hopkins Uni as being top notch.

So instead of banging away about lack of testing and drawing spurious conclusions, suggest people focus on why Thailand has done so much better than vast majority of countries. Hint: community discipline, especially with face masks, effective contact tracing, tight quarantine processes, the health volunteers, who more than compensate for lack of testing and the climate advantage come to mind. Compare these attributes with most countries. 

Don't understand why so many people don't get it. Covid is very well managed in Thailand, as recognised by international bodies, including Europe where Thailand is one of only five countries where people can enter without quarantine (others being Australia, New Zealand, Singapore and Rwanda). See table in this link.. https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexledsom/2021/01/17/january-eu-travel-restrictions-by-country-quarantine-and-tests-as-covid-19-third-wave-surges/?sh=5e86ca9e2ff3

Yes ! 

And when the authorities went out contract tracing after the young women returned from Myanmar  , why werent the authorities  confronted with thousands of Thai  people already infected independently , if there truly  were  all these cases everywhere  as some TV members assert ?

Where are they  hiding ??

Some guy on here recently said his whole villiage had had Covid 19   many months ago... of course he offered no evidence ...

I'd also like to be made aware  of evidence that , "Everyones Starving!!" as a result of lockdowns . 

Anyone with any 'proof' ?? 

10 hours ago, George Aylesham said:

I note that both evaluations were made by WHO and Johns H

I see that both evaluations were made by WHO and Johns Hopkins - two respected and trustworthy bodies. To be honest I have far more faith in them than in the many ThaiVisa epidemiologists!

Which WHO? The WHO that’s been bought by China? I’d hardly call any organization that supports China’s covid case number of 98k, “trustworthy”. Especially with China’s propensity to hide, deny, mis-report and/or not report at all, things going on in their country - and notwithstanding all of their recent lockdowns.

Edited by DBath
  • Thanks 1